IGNORED

Newer IDM

Guest theSun

Guest theSun

the name idm is so retarded. who cares what music is what anyway. sometimes it seems as if some people are just trying to make music just so it can be pigeon-holed into some pre existing genre and the preconceptions based on that genre.

if anything just make something without expecting the placement it will get

i think it'd be silly to sit down and attempt to write an idm song. just sit down and write a song. that's a big problem with this newer wave. there are now standards of idm, when to me, one of the key tenets of this genre is that things are always changing.

First of all... Arovane, Proem and Telefon Tel Aviv are hardly what I'd call new...

i'm just talking post early-warp era here. so really anything late 90s and beyond.

I know you guys will jump on me for this (though I'd love for someone to defend it and point out my erroneous ways), but I get a strong feeling of this "by the book IDM" from Wisp. It sounds kind of cool, but has little lasting appeal to my ears. Have I just not given it enough of a chance?

It's the equivalent of fast food except it doesn't taste that great either and has too much cucumber.

Completely agree here. It sounds nice, but I just can't get into it, it's like paint by numbers or something. Honestly though, I haven't listened to much "IDM" in a long time. For the most part I only listen to my own music anymore.

I think it's more a matter of 'music listened to after absorbing Autechre' than Newer IDM in general.

If I had listened to Flying Lotus before Autechre I would no doubt have been more impressed than I was.

Everything after Autechre has had the edge taken off it.

A bit like trying to get the first drunk feel off of beer after having tried LSD

Guest theSun

well that would make sense for me since i've probably been listening to 80% autechre 20% everything else for the last year or so.

fuck me.

I think Autechre has another level of depth to most music coming out, and I definitely agree that a few "new" artists like telefon tel aviv, sometimes wisp, seem to move too much towards the dramatic side of IDM, some of Autechre's songs made me laugh on the first few listens.. and I think most people would have had that with a few Aphex tracks.. That being said, there's some good stuff on Planet Mu that came out recently that really stays away from the dramatic, and some great stuff I just got off Rephlex, Aleksi Perala and Jody Kendrick, anyway my point is don't give up on IDM! hopefully Rephlex's "certified braindance" will start pulling its weight

Guest reyde_espana

Secondly.... I think that artists like Wisp offer something other than innovation, I like Wisp cos he's always written really sweet melodies and something as simple as that is really really hard to find in ANY genre.

EXACTLY!!!

autechre takes some inspiration from contemporary music

so try to look into that instead of going backwards in the food chain by listening to pop / dance acts that pull some inspiration from how they understand autechre

Guest iamabe

I've got to agree with those here who have said that AE/AFX have a sense of humor whereas TTA, apparat, etc seem to lack that and be more on the "dramatic side". Personally, i'm nuts about TTA, but they can be kind of draining to listen to for more than a bit because a lot of their material is all heavy drama, whereas AFX has that sinister, humorous quality that distinguishes him and makes him and his music such a character. I think if richard wasn't so playful I wouldn't be so obsessed with his music. When you listen to afx, you hear richard just fucking shit up and having fun instead of trying to express all the things most other musicians try to express.

On the other side you have Apparat, who is a talented producer and is really prolific lately with moderat and ellen allien, but who lacks any sense of humor at all, which makes him totally boring for me. I think it's pretty cool that he managed to work things out with Modeselektor, because they're like the total opposite of apparat. Modeselektor are totally not as serious about their music, and it's so much easier to swallow an album like Hello Mom! because of that humor. Dancingbox and KillBill vol.4 are goofy as hell. And that's awesome in my opinion. It's easier for me to relate them because their music isn't always oppressive minor key intensity.

I think Wisp is awesome and I've bought both of his LPs, but I think he could benefit from some humor. He tries to be epic and grandiose all the time and it gets tiresome, IMO.

I'm bored with 90% of the music i hear out there lately because most of it includes melodramatic chord progressions or whatever. It's like, if you listen to shit that just sounds like a musician's emotional release all the time, and that musician never seems to have any fun or a laugh while he's playing around, then it just sounds like work. I don't really want to listen to work, you know? And I agree with theSun that most idm today is just well-produced melodramatic pop, and it's kind of disappointing.

Guest iamabe

Another thing that drives me nuts is my roommate who's a gifted guitarist, except he plays nothing but minor key ambient/drone music every day for hours, sometimes the same sad riff the whole time. Play some fucking pentatonic blues or something, because even that would be less depressing. So yeah, sense of humor good.

circa 1996, circa "come to daddy" & that very risky near-fatal collision withe the pop charts, IDM went into a lengthy period of repeating itself. I continued to buy new releases by those I'd followed until then, but found no satisfaction that seemed too obviously inspired by work I was familiar with.

recently, trying to find a way back into

music after a decade of films, I've

sensed nothings changed much from my perspective. perhaps, if you're around when a genres initially defined, it spoils what follows - anyone around for the beatles arrival?!

I'm looking into modern classical, also

tempted by some elements of dubstep, but mostly the names regarded as the best in IDM seem to mean more to those focussed in music at a younger time of their life and at the point where more things seem fresh, but with a whole catalogue of aphex and Ae to look into, with folk like me still around to recommend it and with enough clear quality that the tracks speak for themselves.

Archived