IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

There a lot of really great moments in this leak that just pass quickly. It's as if they had all these great ideas, but didn't want to make a big deal about them.

For instance, in krYlon, at about 3:26, there is a cool key change that just gently sneaks in there. It probably doesn't sound so great from my description, but it's really beautiful if you listen from the beginning and just let it go where it takes you.

I remember hearing some cluster chords in a number of tracks. But they are gentle and almost skipped over.

And as I've said before, the really the cool stuff comes from the interaction between the voices.

If this is the real Oversteps, I think it'll grow on people. There is a lot of musical depth to it, and I'm sure I'll discover more. But the cool bits on this album are less dramatic, so they're harder to notice.

PS: I also like Quaristice. It's not my favourite ae album, but I still listen to it quite a lot.

Edited by Root5

i like the use of physical modeling synthesis all over this album, i even think i hear the Reaktor ensemble 'Metallo' and Logic Audios proprietary plug 'Sculpture' specifically them turning on the disturb option on a metal object on the last song.

i feel a little bit prescient because i was talking to someone online about how Lp5 was Autechre reinventing how to use Fm synthesizers, an untapped synthesis territory is physical modeling so i could easily see them moving there next.

Edited by Awepittance

Because it was practice and a fake real album.

Why all the Quaristice hate? :(

i don't know, i may need to listen to on speakers because because headphone listening for me gave me the impression it had mediocre mixing/mastering

All the versions of it combined really entrance me. I don't know why, I just really like Quaristice.

whoops what i said there was confusing, i meant i need to listen to oversteps on proper speakers. I've grown to like Quaristice a lot, especially my custom playlist i made out of Versions, Quadrange, regular Quaristice and the japanese bonus tracks

Okay... I'm going to go on the record here... If anyone thinks this m4a single track promo is even remotely fake, you havent been listening to Autechre. Ever. Period. It may not be what you want right now, but it will be what you need over time. If you're bitching today, chances are you bitched when Confield came out and Confield is now one of your all time "favorite" albums.

So, in closing, just shut the fuck up and wait for the wav files to be properly released before you give up on this.

PS - Quaristice still sucks

Can't wait til everyone sees you've played them again, truly.

hi Sean, don't try to muddy the waters anymore.

at 38:08 you almost make me cry , but i want to feel that for other parts of the album too, next time try harder -robbie martin

Edited by Awepittance

I'm sure it is 98,73% real. Teh melodies sound like they're totally generated by a program, might be what they call "generative synthesis" max patches. This is cool as a concept, but not very exciting to listen to.

this was how i felt after listening to it with the exception of 4-5 tracks, of those handful of tracks the melodies seem more fleshed out and deliberate

i think this album will appeal more to fans of early Tangerine Dream and Cluster more than hardcore fans of Draft, Untilted or Quaristice. i'm dead serious about that

Edited by Awepittance

Okay... I'm going to go on the record here... If anyone thinks this m4a single track promo is even remotely fake, you havent been listening to Autechre. Ever. Period. It may not be what you want right now, but it will be what you need over time. If you're bitching today, chances are you bitched when Confield came out and Confield is now one of your all time "favorite" albums.

So, in closing, just shut the fuck up and wait for the wav files to be properly released before you give up on this.

Can't wait til everyone sees you've played them again, truly.

hi Sean, don't try to muddy the waters anymore.

at 38:08 you almost make me cry , but i want to feel that for other parts of the album too, next time try harder -robbie martin

Did I miss something? How do we know who user: "lithgow" is?

Ive been listening to autechre since 93. This is real.

Really liking that tape delay echoy bass drum @ 54:00, btw

Edited by marf

Guest lithgow

I can't wait til this awful music is debunked, then you can all scramble to come up with excuses as to why you professed undying love for this dreck.

I can't wait til this awful music is debunked, then you can all scramble to come up with excuses as to why you professed undying love for this dreck.

heh, and I'm the moron.

Wake up dude. They played tracks off of this on the radio last night. Then the same tracks appeared on this AND in better quality. Its the real deal.

Guest narkeworld

Quaristice was/is wicked. And this new stuff goes away from there direction into art music and back to "sci-fi" stuff, thus all the video game sound track references. At 38 years of age are you gonna be reading Donald Judd's aesthic theory essays or watchnig 'Predator', you tell me. I just think it's a corny move on there part and blatently postmodern (baroque), when they should stay to their trajectory (Confield->Quaristice lineage [dark art music]) and really be postmodern by abandoning any grand narratives. This album is too simplistic, Arovanian, Markantian, and simply a bit self parody. I'm just not into yet, hehe, maybe one day though.

Guest narkeworld

Quaristice was/is wicked. And this new stuff goes away from there direction into art music and back to "sci-fi" stuff, thus all the video game sound track references. At 38 years of age are you gonna be reading Donald Judd's aesthic theory essays or watchnig 'Predator', you tell me. I just think it's a corny move on there part and blatently postmodern (baroque), when they should stay to their trajectory (Confield->Quaristice lineage [dark art music]) and really be postmodern by abandoning any grand narratives. This album is too simplistic, Arovanian, Markantian, and simply a bit self parody. I'm just not into yet, hehe, maybe one day though.

there = their ;)

hi folks. long time listener, first time caller here. read the rules, etc...

this message is for AE, since i know they will be checking out this thread:

Guys, i love you - but could you please take it easy on the REVERB? i thought Quaristice had a lot of reverb on it but this new release? daaaammmn...

overall, with the synths and the reverb going non-stop i feel like i'm getting smothered in honey. it doesn't feel like there is enough dynamics or contrast on this album.

granted, this is based on 1 headphone listen of the m4a, but i was listening closely with the volume cranked & all the tracks were sounding way too blurry & too similar to each other. when the beats kicked in it was like a breath of fresh air providing some 'structure', but those moments were too few and far between.

and to the Designers Republic: could you all just please retire now & go away?

granted, you guys did some great work back in the day, but that Quaristice album cover was just awful. seeing the Oversteps artwork however (and that new photo of Rob & Sean) got me interested. while the album artwork itself is quite boring, it at least conveyed the impression that this new album would be stark, alien, perhaps even a bit minimal. it seemed like a return to the atmosphere of Confield was possible.

instead, we have this colorful underwater super-dense super-textured neon new bright sound from Autechre & how does Designers Republic choose to represent that? a black circle on a white background. :facepalm:

a classic example of artists getting a little too certain of their own 'genius' and trying a little too hard to be clever.

if this leak is in some way not the actual new Autechre album, please disregard everything i've said. thanks. :smile:

dude when has ae laid off the reverb?

ps fuck this shit see you guys in march

Edited by theSun

Dear Autechre we miss when you were making music that sounded really alien & mysterious and we also miss when every song (even the more bare songs off quaristice) were mini mind puzzles for us to unlock, thanks for listening bye.

it baffles me greatly that Oversteps is LP material but the live show of Quaristice was not worthy of putting to disc or even an exclusive digital download

Edited by Awepittance

probably for the better, i know if i would have heard this for the very first time on vinyl i probably would have appreciated it a little more. the disposable nature of mp3 downloading makes quick judgements very easy. although i regret a little bit listening to it already instead of waiting, im glad in a way i did not wait and build up my anticipation even more because the disappointment would have killed me

are any AE beat/percussion lovers finding this album a little bit lacking? even the beats on here leave a lot to be desired. melody centric people are going to love this, but i think the more textural/percussion people might not find it so satisfying