IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

chiastic slide is only lo-fi in the sense that there is a lot of digital dithering and bit crushing at play, the mastering and mixing of Chiastic slide was fucking impeccable though, everything jumped out in all the right places. not like Oversteps where parts actually sound like they want you to imagine your speakers breaking or blowing out.

hm that is a point. i'm not experienced in professional production, but i actually thought of that exactly, i think it was Treale: "wow this is kneading the speakers". Though imo it doesn't sound like distortion at all, more like an extra sharpish pulsating synth layer..?

but yeah, let's not turn this into bickering :trashbear:

chiastic slide is only lo-fi in the sense that there is a lot of digital dithering and bit crushing at play, the mastering and mixing of Chiastic slide was fucking impeccable though, everything jumped out in all the right places. not like Oversteps where parts actually sound like they want you to imagine your speakers breaking or blowing out.

hm that is a point. i'm not experienced in professional production, but i actually thought of that exactly, i think it was Treale: "wow this is kneading the speakers". Though imo it doesn't sound like distortion at all, more like an extra sharpish pulsating synth layer..?

but yeah, let's not turn this into bickering :trashbear:

i never thoight i'd say this ever in my fucking life and i maybe shouldn't even type it out at all but goddam it i have to:

Autechre should take some tips from Clark about how to make something sound very dirty and very very loud *runs*

Guest the anonymous forumite

I'm thinking that some of this is fake, made by ae. That track with the guitar can't be real.

Guest Greg Reason

haha. Clark compresses the fuck out of everything. Pretty much his trademarked sound from the start (and he hasn't deviated from it even for a moment)

I'm thinking that some of this is fake, made by ae. That track with the guitar can't be real.

Have you ever heard Coil? This is intentional.

After several listens I'm fairly confident this is Ae. known(1) is really working for me, which is funny because it sounds the least like Ae.

agreed. known(1) has been stuck in my head since i got the leak...it is the finest cheese in all the land!

it's not guitar you guys, its physical modeling synthesis :cisfor:

well depends on which track, one of them sounds like an FM synth put through alot of distortion near the ending and the 3rd track on the lp sounds very much like a sitar patch on a physical modeling software

Edited by Awepittance

thats what i thought back in 2005 but you have to realize that Watmm is still very relevent in terms of internet discussions on Autechre. When you typed Oversteps in google like 1 week ago Watmm popped up as the 2nd link down.

i recognize quite a few of these people from other forums, they are just trying to get their fill of Oversteps talk, nothing more

Guest the anonymous forumite

Autechre should take some tips from Clark about how to make something sound very dirty and very very loud *runs*

Well, IV VV IV VV VIII is pretty loud in my opinion, or the intro of Pro Radii. They can but they are not doing it.

i agree that on Untilted and Quaristice their low fi distortion techniques worked out great. Im just not feeling that bassy tearing effect coming out of the speakers on Oversteps. sounds thin and weak but like it's going to break my speakers at the same time.

Awepittance I think you are on the money with your criticism of the lack of grit/loudness. I think that's the point. They want to do something lush and juicy for once. Which they've certainly done before, just not on this scale.

hm, i think you have my reversed. i was complaining about some of the distortion on this album (oversteps) saying it sounds thin and weak but sounds like its meant to sound bassy/hard.

I wish the terms 'lush' and 'juicy' came to mind, most of the synths feel very cold and sterile put through the same reverb on every track.

Edited by Awepittance

Guest lithgow

thats a good theory and all john lithgow, but why do you just keep saying that without presenting us with any counter evidence? we've already shown you piles of evidence, namely that german radio station played 2 actual tracks from the album that sound VERY similar to the rest. what do you have to say to that?

if this is just your intuition then kindly shut the fuck up,

Who are you, again? Hows about I have my own opinion and not fall in line with all you sheep fawning over Joe Electronica's "My First Whack At Reason"?

thats a good theory and all john lithgow, but why do you just keep saying that without presenting us with any counter evidence? we've already shown you piles of evidence, namely that german radio station played 2 actual tracks from the album that sound VERY similar to the rest. what do you have to say to that?

if this is just your intuition then kindly shut the fuck up,

Who are you, again? Hows about I have my own opinion and not fall in line with all you sheep fawning over Joe Electronica's "My First Whack At Reason"?

you're totally welcome to have an opinion, but are you one of those people who can't back up their own opinions and just likes to say controversial shit for the thrill? are you in denial because you dont like Oversteps?

if you arent then stop being such a twat and explain to us why you think this is fake, nobody is going to listen to you if your posts resemble a broken record

Edited by Awepittance