IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

...firt album by Ae that i can comprehend after only 2 listening.

nah, you didn´t :smile: come back after 10 more rounds.

Ya ay know but i'm afraid that maybe it's not deep enough.

Yes! I finished reading the thread! :yeah:

This is brilliant. Almost as good as Tool's 10,000 Days leak debacle. For months people were listening to (what was quite obviously) the new Tool record whilst swearing blind it was fake. They shut the fuck up pretty quick when the "real" one came out.

LMAO I've been thinking this since a few days ago, so true. And that is partly what's making me think this is real, because of the disbelief and dislike (I personally haven't listened).

Guest Ultravisitor

my housemate has convinced me to session this with him tonight.

i was going to wait but he made the point of it only being 128kbs, which, after hearing the difference between the glasgow sets two different qualities, i can sleep happily knowing that i'll probably hear much more when i get the physical release.

i know awepittance is making some good points here, definitely, but i still think the difference in quality will make a significant difference.....

i might be wrong......

i hope not.....

Guest lithgow

Known1 is absolutely dreadful, the kind of thing any old joe with a computer could make, not the brilliant sounds I expect from the lads, certainly.

why would you as a label want to present a new disc by one of your most famous artists unmastered (which basically means unfinished) to a reviewer?

that is a good question. but you have to realize, that we don´t know how old the stuff is. i would think that this is an early version of the album, just look at the weird fades, double-ilanders etc. i´m pretty sure the official promo version isn´t like that.

What? I got the m4u file and ilanders was only 6:58. It certainly doesn't loop in the one I got and I know its the same one everyone else got.

okay now. Obsessive as i've been the last few days, i actually took the alleged double ilanders, split it in half, and stacked both halves on top of each other. i aligned them as closely to being sample-accurate as i could in audacity, and inverted one of them.

amateur audio scientist phling's conclusion: lol no idea.

the two wave forms should have eliminated each other, leaving the difference between them which should have been perfect silence or something close to that. however what happened was that a good portion of the sound got much lower in volume, while some sounds retained much of their original volume. actually most of them sound like clipping…

(i had to adjust the gain of one part to get them to eliminate properly btw)

So imo, the sequenced structure of it is exactly the same through both parts. and the clicks and plops you hear come from clipping by recording it shoddingly from some computer with a cable. and ilanders is played twice.

:trashbear:

listen here:

wav (the inverted part fades in after couple of seconds)

:facepalm::cisfor:

Edited by Guest

why would you as a label want to present a new disc by one of your most famous artists unmastered (which basically means unfinished) to a reviewer?

that is a good question. but you have to realize, that we don´t know how old the stuff is. i would think that this is an early version of the album, just look at the weird fades, double-ilanders etc. i´m pretty sure the official promo version isn´t like that.

What? I got the m4u file and ilanders was only 6:58. It certainly doesn't loop in the one I got and I know its the same one everyone else got.

okay now. Obsessive as i've been the last few days, i actually took the alleged double ilanders, split it in half, and stacked both halves on top of each other. i aligned them as closely to being sample-accurate as i could in audacity, and inverted one of them.

amateur audio scientist phling's conclusion: lol no idea.

the two wave forms should have eliminated each other, leaving the difference between them which should have been perfect silence or something close to that. however what happened was that a good portion of the sound got much lower in volume, while some sounds retained much of their original volume. actually most of them sound like clipping…

(i had to adjust the gain of one part to get them to eliminate properly btw)

So imo, the sequenced structure of it is exactly the same through both parts. and the clicks and plops you hear come from clipping by recording it shoddingly from some computer with a cable. and ilanders is played twice.

:trashbear:

listen here:

wav (the inverted part fades in after couple of seconds)

:facepalm::cisfor:

one of the ilanders in the m4a file was louder than the other one, so that might explain it :8

yeah it was actually a bit tedious to adjust the gain so they somewhat eliminate. i don't know which factors could play into the parts not eliminating totally, but i'd think mp3 compression dithering would definitely weigh in.

dunno maybe someone who knows their audio shit do this properly. :crazy::emotawesomepm9:

if its been encoded in AC3 form you aren't going to be able to get any kind of canceling out effect

I think you still would, it would just be all squidgy and artifact-y. So I guess, not total cancellation, no.

yeah it was actually a bit tedious to adjust the gain so they somewhat eliminate. i don't know which factors could play into the parts not eliminating totally, but i'd think mp3 compression dithering would definitely weigh in.

dunno maybe someone who knows their audio shit do this properly. :crazy::emotawesomepm9:

I was thinking of giving it a whack in Reaper, cos it's a slow day at work.

Just need to find where the Jesusonic inverter is. If they don't have one, it shouldn't be too hard to write, but it's been a while.

i was going to wait but he made the point of it only being 128kbs, which, after hearing the difference between the glasgow sets two different qualities, i can sleep happily

Did the 256K encode of the Glasgow set ever get put out minus the stupidly over-the-top brickwall limiting?

It sounds like total shit compared to the original, un-raped 128K release. I don't understand how anyone could think it sounded better.

3rd spin and it's still mostly crap, the awful tunes (something that id never expect from ae) played with some cheap sounding synths are taking such a huge portion of this album, it just sounds like a pisstake most of the time. i've never heard such downright BAD tracks from ae as O=0, redfall and known(1)..tracks that aren't plagued by those YLC/plaid sounding tunes are just noodley and boring.

the only decent tracks are the 2 first and os veix3, really hope that this is some elaborate fake although there are just way too many unmistakably autechre elements..1 pooper is somewhat forgivable, but 2nd in a row.. :cry:

if its been encoded in AC3 form you aren't going to be able to get any kind of canceling out effect

I think you still would, it would just be all squidgy and artifact-y. So I guess, not total cancellation, no.

i just played around with this using different music and indeed, you can cancel out the audio but keep very noticeable compression artifacts. what's happening with ilanders sounds very different from that though.

Edited by Guest

Guest lithgow

It's Autechre. It's completely fucking obvious. No question about it.

Wow, since you're so knowledgeable, please to be pointing me at ANY track that sounds remotely as amateur as "known1", you must intimately know their entire catalog, so please, let me know.

oh okay i did the same using libfaac instead of mp3 and the artifacts sound actually similar to the ilanders inversion, minus the plops.

don't mind me i'm just losing it btw. :cisfor:

Edited by Guest

oh okay i did the same using libfaac instead of mp3 and the artifacts sound actually similar to the ilanders inversion, minus the plops.

don't mind me i'm just losing it btw. :cisfor:

how long is your copy of ilanders? Mine is 6:57 and you can clearly tell that the 'looped' part is different than the first chunk.

It's Autechre. It's completely fucking obvious. No question about it.

Wow, since you're so knowledgeable, please to be pointing me at ANY track that sounds remotely as amateur as "known1", you must intimately know their entire catalog, so please, let me know.

In complete honesty and no offense but why do you bother hanging out in this thread if you hate this album so much? I'm fairly certain you're a dupe or just a random troll but either way start acting a little bit less hostile and confrontational because Watmm(especially the ae subforum) is a place of friendship. :cisfor: