IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest the anonymous forumite

Um, hello. Thought I'd pop in for a hot second here. Since I've been asked numerous times now, no I have not heard any of the leaks, nor do I plan to or to confirm their legitimacy. That's really not for me to do. Also, tip about Last.fm - when you pause a track, it sends the timing out of whack. So I would perhaps stop lurking on my Last.fm page like it's gospel (though, by all means, please do feel free to critique my taste).

What this guy is saying is that we're listening to the final product. We shouldn't bother about time discrepancies since they happen because of last fm's player. This album is 80% crap, let's get used to it.

tribute rerelease!

soon buddy. i need to decide where to host it!

plus i want to replace the gate track with something else. (since i didn't contact them about it in the first place, hehe)

Two things, I can't help anybody with finding the mp3 leak cause I am sleeping in a house with no Internet for the night. So I don't have the links.

I just started listening to this outside right now in the forest, about 1am and I'm in known 1... This is my second playthru and maybe it's now already been established but this is no doubt oversteps

I think it's more of a progression then what some have said

And I am by no means an AE fanboy, I'm just thirsty for good music

one good thing to come out of this is maybe people will open their minds up a little more to electronic music (not ambient) that is not entirely based on percussion.

a lot of people are making comparisons to Cluster, tangerine dream, early Jerry Goldsmith and prog melodies, maybe more people into AE will start checking out stuff they haven't heard before from the 70s

Edited by Awepittance

if AE was pissed off that 'on the wire' radio station played 2 tracks from Quaristice too early, i can only imagine how pissed they might feel knowing this leaked before a SINGLE official press full length review, or interview has come out and within literally hours of the first track being played on a German radio station

Lol kind of ironic considering that's exactly what you wanted (percussion)

yeah heh i know, but in the larger scheme of thigns it's good. I think the more atmospheric electronic music that doesn't fall neatly into ambient, doesnt have the fame and mystique of Gerald Donald/dopplereffekt and doesn't make purely throw back library music it makes it harder to catchy someones attention with instrumental synth albums with no beats underneath in the IDM/weird electronic scene.

Edited by Awepittance

Treale is by far the high point of the album for me

so far i'm digging that one R ess, ilanders and redfall and parts of see on see are very catchy its just ruined slightly by the meandering melodies that take over the really catchy opening hook

Agree with the picks though I don't yet really cause this is the first time I paid attention to titles. I think inherently like it more cause the long song file leak with weed just makes it possible to know where songs start or stop lol.. Last listen was just a blur

a fake made by autechre... listen to yourselves! that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. comforting thought though, i'm sure. hey, maybe they'll just keep churning out different albums every couple weeks until one of them pleases everyone? sweeeeet! i think maybe they'll do that. awesome.

anyhow, i listened to a couple minutes of the mp4 and it's definitely autechre. i'm waiting for a proper bleep copy or something to really listen though.

edit: and by "a couple minutes" i meant that i listened to the first track and a couple minutes of the second :P

Edited by vodor

D-sho threw me off first time, I see it growing though, the progression it makes kind of gives weight to the cheesy melody cause it keeps you hooked constantly but let's r&s just fuck around a bit in some pretty interesting ways.

fuck, i'm loving d-sho qub. holy shit, it's like depeche mode on acid or something lol. that said, there are a few tracks on this album (pt2ph8, redfall, krYlon and yuop seem a little noodly upon first, second and third listens) that i don't quite 'get' yet, though pretty much all of confield was like that for a while until i came back to it after not listening for a year and it all made sense. perhaps some of these noodly generative sounding melodies actually make more sense once you memorise them? i dunno.

i love that ilanders and see on see (and probably others, i haven't really listened enough yet) seem to have 'choruses'.

yeah heh i know, but in the larger scheme of thigns it's good. I think the more atmospheric electronic music that doesn't fall neatly into ambient, doesnt have the fame and mystique of Gerald Donald/dopplereffekt and doesn't make purely throw back library music it makes it harder to catchy someones attention with instrumental synth albums with no beats underneath in the IDM/weird electronic scene.

this is something i noticed recently, so much idm these days is percussion based, and even when highly melodic there is still some type of drum work present. hence why most of my new electronic stuff is gonna be largely beatless (and not because of oversteps).

Edited by modey

al ot of the melodies in Treale sound generative and kind of noodly but they get a really cohesive point at parts in the song where you are just like holy shit. it sonds like capture a magical 4 bar melody out of an algorithmic midi mpatch and decided to harnass it as the lead repeating line

interestingly i hear no Machinedrum 'midicommand' algorithmic sequenceing either. They jsut put out this external bxoes for the machinedrums that lets you do all these crazy modificatiosn to them one of them being algorithmic beats and melodies. it just came out 1 week ago so id be surprised if they had a chance to even use it yet. are you getting one Futureimage?

Guest lithgow

Maybe its not twice and is supposed to repeat. i find the repeating quite effective actually. Where'd you find this?

I doubt it's supposed to repeat. Can you imagine it doing that on the Vinyl release?

Yeah, good call.

Still an interesting mystery though. Is this really the most effective way of discouraging a leak? I doubt it, but maybe this was indeed the purpose? Strange...

Also, to those few who stll think this is another fake, do you really think someone who put this much work into a fake would let a track repeat like that? You would think if they were really trying to fool people with a fake, they wouldn't let that slip by.

Ah, spoken like someone that has no clue what fakes sound like, anyone remember the campfire headphase?

(ps, the leak is still fake)