IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I'm quite used to serialism and atonal pieces of classical music, so the off kilter 'melodies' on this one don't bother me so much. I agree that there's a depth of sound present that hasn't been there in a long time - which creates a kind of cinematic, widescreen effect and means the album sounds better on headphones than say, Draft or Untilted or Quaristice (which i love loud on speakers, but seem a bit 'flat' on headphones.)

I do understand why people would find some of the synth sounds irritating though, especially in the second half. I don't really know why they chose to use such coarse, cheesy, synthy synth sounds, but never mind.

yeah.

you know what, i'd be so creaming over the guys releasing a "software EP" as the special thingie later this year, i.e. an ever permutating algorithmic patch… perhaps in audiovisual form, realtime Gantz Graf.

i'm sure they could pull it off nicely if they wanted.

they should release some patches and sound design libraries, like richard devine. that guy is set for life now

agreed about some of the synth sounds.. direct use of fm synthesis bell patches.. well that is pushing it a tad in this day and age, lol. still i keep coming back for more.

Edited by TwiddleBot

Just finishing up my third listen now and I'm convinced this is the real deal. I'm pretty blown away to be honest, can't understand those that are saying the album sounds atonal and discordant, I think it's their lushest work to date. The atmosphere on this one is great, reading Neuromancer as I listen and its such a good fit. The album does get a bit samey and their are a couple tracks that aren't quite as good as the rest but not a dud on here in my opinion. known(1) has even grown on me.

It sounds like Autechre have written the best video game soundtrack of all time basically, definitely some parallels to Amber, LP5, and EP7, with the glowing synthetic sheen of tracks like Altibzz and Simmm. I'm so glad they took a radical change in direction, I haven't been this caught off guard by an album since Confield, the difference being I love this right off the bat. I can't imagine this is a fake, but I love it either way. But the cover art is possibly the worst fit for the music I have ever seen, lol. Maybe it was intentional to be misleading, I dunno.

Guest Calx Sherbet

a fake made by autechre... listen to yourselves! that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. comforting thought though, i'm sure. hey, maybe they'll just keep churning out different albums every couple weeks until one of them pleases everyone? sweeeeet! i think maybe they'll do that. awesome.anyhow, i listened to a couple minutes of the mp4 and it's definitely autechre. i'm waiting for a proper bleep copy or something to really listen though.edit: and by "a couple minutes" i meant that i listened to the first track and a couple minutes of the second :P

yea even if it's fake, it's still more autechre. they can do this all they like

OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS 0VERSTEPS OV3RSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS O\ERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERST3PS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS 0VERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVER5TEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEP5 OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERSTEPS OVERS1EPS OVERSTEPS

A child's portrayal of the Ae subforum these days.

i love the way everyone has formed definitive opinions after TWO FUCKING DAYS

Well it takes about two fucking minutes to hear that ae made this

i mean the people who think it's real (me included) have formed definitive opinions about the album

Maybe it's all the preservatives, e numbers, sweetners and processed food that constitutes humans diets nowadays? It makes people all jittery and skittish like bouncing beans.

As I mostly feast on slabs of meat cut by my butcher, bananas, berries, nuts, cereals and soya milk. I would say I stay pretty calm. Okay I guess I should eat more vegtables (nothing but steamed green beans really, sometimes carrots and leeks if they are in a stew or casserole) and if it wasn't for my vast intake of micro beer I would resemble something like a cross between Adonis and a Wolf (hence because of the beer intake I resemble something more like a cross between a walrus and a sloth).

Either way I am going to sit back and wait for my slabs of rich black vinyl to arrive, put it on the turntable, drink some beer, pin back my great furry ears, drink some more beer and hopefully enjoy the new Autechre album.

Cheers!