IGNORED

Sometimes when I listen to Autechre

bronchuseven

..my semi-conscious brain starts to parse it not as music, but as a language. That's not to say that the sounds start to resemble words, but rather I start to hear an entirely self-contained language. My brain's internal monologue is no longer in English at all, but begins to function in "Autechrish". Unfortunately, once I wake up, or fail to fall asleep, I can't interpret the Autechrish information I received back into English. Regardless, this process always leads to some seriously cool dreams! Anyone else ever stopped hearing Ae as music in this way?

..my semi-conscious brain starts to parse it not as music, but as a language. That's not to say that the sounds start to resemble words, but rather I start to hear an entirely self-contained language. My brain's internal monologue is no longer in English at all, but begins to function in "Autechrish". Unfortunately, once I wake up, or fail to fall asleep, I can't interpret the Autechrish information I received back into English. Regardless, this process always leads to some seriously cool dreams! Anyone else ever stopped hearing Ae as music in this way?

I've had the same feelings with some of Aphex Twins Songs as well as other artists. First experienced it with Aphex Twin though. Its pretty wicked when you do experience it though. I just call it, a really good fucking tune.

Guest Somethin

didn't even read this

That's not to say that the sounds start to resemble words

it is to say that with me, i hear the sounds as words

I should have been more clear - I'm not hearing any existing words, but I am interpreting each sound as a quantum of meaning.. so they function the same way as words.

edit: lol @ Somethin

The only time i ever got into untilted was falling in and out of sleep and it became a sort of 4 dimensional skeleton of music. It was brilliant.

for me, ae's post-1999 output is like a magic eye image for ears.

in some ways i agree. i tend to think very visually and i consistently get great images while listening to their later music. to me their older tracks are, in many ways, just as great but are significantly less detailed.

Rubbish.

This!

Although I haven't had Draems (see what I did there?) in a while. It's true though, when you're falling asleep your mind works in an incredibly abstract way with the little input it gets from reality. I've listened to Chiastic Slide in it's entirety on Ketamine one time though and it was like a transcendental virtual movie or something. It didn't make a ton of sense but it was fully visceral and engaging. Like LIVING inside the album, breathing and tasting it.

So yeah I get where you're going, and I fully agree.

Rubbish.

Lol.. why would I make this up? Although, my self-worth does rest entirely on the esteem of fellow autechre fans.

There's nothing sketchy about it at all. It's a well-documented phenomenon called hypnagogia. And it's freakin' cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Nice article, thanks for the link!

your thread title and sub-title was a self-pwn. GOOD MUSIC DOESN'T PUT YOU TO SLEEP!

your thread title and sub-title was a self-pwn. GOOD MUSIC DOESN'T PUT YOU TO SLEEP!

Read the rules.

And it's not sleep we're talking about, it's semi-sleep. It's that half awake-half dreaming mindset that comes over you just as you fall asleep. The proper music at the proper volume will keep you awake just enough to not totally drift off, but will let you drift into the hypnagogic state.

again baphomet, i'm gonna have to disagree. i love tracks like autechre - 444 for some good ol' relaxation, along with oh about a zillion other tracks i would classify as "good music" that have the potential to chill to.

the doors - riders on the storm

orbital - halcyon & on & on

thievery corporation - amerimacka

etc etc

I once lucid dreamed while listening to Outh9x on repeat. There were these immense concrete 'brutalism' structures all around me (kind of like a level in marble blast gold), and I recognized the place as a place I have always dreamed of since I was very little.

Archived