IGNORED

Get me into Autechre

halisray

I need help - I hear these guys are fantastic but I just cannot seem to get into them. I have their Amber and Incunabula albums but I just I don't know lol... are there any albums or eps that are really super good?

I just really want to get into them because I love BoC, christ, Afx, etc.. but AE is taking some time!!

Please help an IDM nooblet :D

I need help - I hear these guys are fantastic but I just cannot seem to get into them. I have their Amber and Incunabula albums but I just I don't know lol... are there any albums or eps that are really super good?

I just really want to get into them because I love BoC, christ, Afx, etc.. but AE is taking some time!!

If you can't get into them, they're obviously not for you. :whistling:

if you don't like incunabula and amber much, try tri repetae. and then try chiastic slide. and then LP5. and then confield. and then draft. and then untilted. and then quaristice. and then oversteps. and then give up.

seriously though, all the albums are so much different to me, and i love them all in their own ways (confield and draft best), but i can't really say whether you'll find them as diverse as i do. though they all seem different, they're all very autechre, and i obviously like autechre, so exploring all the albums' individuality might not help you much if it's the autechre that you don't really care for.

and i haven't heard oversteps yet, so that recommendation wasn't serious. :P

Guest ataraxy2

Don't think in terms of understanding or not-understanding like others would have you believe. It's worth approaching every album of theirs as they are all radically different, but listen to the music - don't analyse. It seems every fan of Ae on WATMM has entirely different likes/dislikes, and different opinions for what style an album was going for. Most seem to think of Confield as impenetrable where I found it one of their most accessible - a dark ambience/mood piece. Others think Untilted is very simple where I found the rhythm of LCC and Augmatic Disport hard to catch onto.

I began with Incunabula/Amber, which I love, before introducing myself to the others in what was (mostly) chronological order. But listen to the music, don't "understand" it. I cannot stress this enough. The albums are not political ideologies [is Anti EP in anyway an exception to this?].

Listen to Anti EP specifically the song Flutter. IF that won't get you to like them nothing will. It was hard for me to like some of there stuff but after listening to them from there early years to now. I love them.

Without getting into too much of a ramble (I hope, edit: lol), every album has a totally unique sound, and their music evolves on a linear path in chronological order. That being said, there isn't much general agreement on here as to which the best album to start with is. I suggest getting all of the EP's because they are small, snack sized music packages and there are enough of them throughout their discography to give you an idea of how their sound evolves.

EP's

Basscadet

Anti

Garbage

Anvil Vapre

Envane

Cichlisuite

Gantz Graf

One more thing it's important to keep in mind with Ae music is that most of it is like a puzzle. For example, a little melody might reveal itself towards the end of the track, but it may have been very subtly hinted at all the way up until that point. It's sort of like re-watching a movie that does alot of foreshadowing and layering and you notice more things each time. That's the best explanation I have as to why it usually sounds weird and uninviting at first but becomes immensely satisfying after repeated listens. Best bet is to do those EP's and then the main albums, preferably in chronological order if you really want to experience the journey. Try listening to them one by one but over a long period of time. Instead of continuing to rant, I have links in my sig to my inane typings about a bunch of the main albums.

in before hauntingsoul

lol! Fucking sneak pre-emptive strike up in this thread. Like this thread was trapped or something.

forget it if you can´t get in incunabula and amber. draft, confield, untilted, quaristice and oversteps will destroy your brain. don´t bother.

hey thanks a lot!

I realised that I haven't fully paid much attention to the music.. I'll be getting a few of their EPs soon.

Yeah, don't try and put it on in the background until you've become accustomed to it or it will probably irritate you. Make sure you listen when you can have a good loud sound setup (headphones or car speakers imo), and when you're not doing much so you can focus most of your attention on the music. Personally I like to blast it and post on watmm simultaneously.

Might do you some good to just listen to samples on amazon until you hear something that catches your ear, and then download that. When I first dug up Ae, I hated almost everything I heard except for a handful of tracks (which are probably really good places to start) Clipper, Eutow, Rpeg and Foil are what I seem to recall as my original 'hooks' that got me into ae. Once you find a few tracks that you really love, it'll be easier to warm up to the majority of the rest of it. In terms of being a puzzle, it gets more and more complex as the albums progress so Amber doesn't have as much complexity as, say, Draft 7.30. That being said, there are a bunch of people on here who got into Ae via the later, more mechanical glitchy albums like Draft. Some of them don't even like the earlier period stuff so just make sure you take a shot at each album.

fwiw my favourite albums at the moment are Draft 7.30, Chiastic Slide and LP5

I have the same sentiments to be honest. I only just heard autechre when i joined this site. Their songs sound like compositions of sound synthesis to me rather than actual songs if that makes sense. Do mean to give them another listen as i'm sure there's deeper meaning to it than that just not sure if i'll appreciate that side of it. Some songs a great i thought though; arch carrier, bike, krib, doctrine to name a couple.

how do you pronounce it anyway? or - ta - cree ?

how do you pronounce it anyway? or - ta - cree ?

According to Autechre themselves, it can be pronounced any way you like. Most people go with aw-tek-ur. I probably enjoy Mary Anne Hobbs saying it the most.

And if you're just getting into autechre, the best and simplest way is to start with incunabula and work forward chronologically.

I started with EP7 and Quaristice. While I regret getting Quaristice that early (I love it now though <3), I really always loved EP7. Dropp pulled me into, Netlon Sentinel, Rpeg, Left Blank, Liccflii, Pir, Outpt,Ccec, and any others I forget kept me in (except Maphive 6.1, I still don't like it).

hauntingsoul, recommend a song that you would like me to pay attention to that would fuck my brain. a song off of confield

Dude, Parhelic Triangle or VI Scose Poise.

hauntingsoul, recommend a song that you would like me to pay attention to that would fuck my brain. a song off of confield

bine, when it gets to the thumpthumpthumpthump part. Fucking EPIC!

edit: The part I'm talking about starts at 2:10 and becomes increasingly awesome as the rest of the track progresses. Peaks at about 3:30 iirc.

Archived