IGNORED

krYlon

encey

Does anyone like this track? Am I missing something, or is it just random notes all bleeding reverberantly into each other like your eleven year-old sister's first blush of menses?

I think if this one track weren't on Oversteps, I might like it better overall, but it darkens my opinion of the other tracks insofar as they inherit this sense of just random synthetic mush.

I'm hoping someone who really likes it can help me hear it in a more favorable light!

Guest theSun

i used to not like it, now i like it more but not a lot.

those highish freq reverbed synths do my speakers in a little, so it's tough for me to listen to it loud.

Guest bardamu

i really like it. love how it begins with the "cafe hum" background noise from redfall. i love the first part, then around 2:00 it starts morphing into this awesome, slow reverby pad melody. the plucky synth later on reasserts itself and sort of plays with that same melody. then the final two minutes have really beautiful melody fragments floating in and out.

in general i like the "lost at sea" feeling of all the background melody lines. i think that happens all over oversteps, but especially in krYlon.

i dunno though, if you dont find those melodies moving, then you just dont find them moving? i dont think its a track with a big secret...

Its not bad, it helps to try and find the rhythm. There is a very consistent rhythm here, but until you find it, it sounds pretty random yeah. I like it because it's sorta just a bath of warm friendly sounds, although if I had to pick I would say it's the weakest on the album.

Nope, don't like it. This and pt2ph8 kinda blow. Though pt2ph8 is a little better than I first thought.

I really like this track. If you think about it, people easily enjoy those little one-and-a-half-minute- in-between tracks on Boards of Canada records which are just one or two or three synth lines doing melodic phrases. krYlon is like one of those, only with much more counterpoint and many more interesting synth modulations going on. And three times as long. It's not the best track on the album, but I do really like it, and I'd probably like it a lot more if it hadn't been Autechre that made it (silly, I know, but who makes stuff does affect how you hear it.)

^i might actually try that next time i get a crack at my friend's logic suite. it's always fun/amusing finding sounds from particular albums

as for the track.. doesn't do a lot for me but i don't find it annoying. who knows, maybe it will grow on me with time

Thanks y'all; I'll listen harder for the rhythm and the recurrent melody & see if that brings anything out.

'marble on a glass table' preset from Logic Audio's Sculpture present in background through out this track. Try it for yourselves! Although is i suspect no one here will.

i would if i could!

i too love the way it just fades in over redfall.

it almost reminds me of stuff john martyn did with an acoustic guitar and an echoplex

i too love the way it just fades in over redfall.

it almost reminds me of stuff john martyn did with an acoustic guitar and an echoplex

you see?

Nope, don't like it. This and pt2ph8 kinda blow. Though pt2ph8 is a little better than I first thought.

heh, krylon and pt2ph8 are my favs from the album so far.

'marble on a glass table' preset from Logic Audio's Sculpture present in background through out this track. Try it for yourselves! Although is i suspect no one here will.

Are many layers on this track presets, or just one? Which sound in the track do you mean exactly - if it's possible to explain? Is it that higher-pitched, glassy, rhythmic-ish sound that doesn't play the main melodies but jitters around in the background?

i really like pt2ph8. not much happens but it's a lovely not much happens

last week weren't people hating known (1)?

what'll be cool next week, not liking O=0? or redfall? :cry:

krYlon reminded me that a while ago I accidentally corrupted a save on my megadrive emulator, if I then try to load other save states it sounds like it's trying to create various oversteps tracks. The first 30 seconds is me loading up another save in sonic and the other minute is Super Hangon -

Sonic hangon.mp3

:gamer::music::blink::w00t:

i really laughed out loud listening to this, amazing serendipiy!! i use gens for years now and never encountered any similar "problems"... how did it get corrupted?! also just out of curiosity, what sonic tune got fucked up there?

Guest frits

I love Krylon. Sounds a bit random at first but it actually got a really wonderful chord progression and melodic structure.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I wasn't keen on this track at all to start with, but after a year of listening to it ended up being my favourite on the album. Had an amazing experience lying on my back in France watching the stars come out and listening to it on headphones.

The 'order in randomness' just really works for me, especially the key change a few minutes in - for some reason the track always reminds me of moving a multi-faceted crystal through a strong light source, with all the refractions forming the melody.

krYlon was one of my early favourites. It is very good at sounding like it's constantly evolving, while in reality it's just the same thing over and over again.

It's kind of like O=0, in that both tracks have 2 definite sections.

O=0 is also my favourite. But I'm a total classical counterpoint whore, so that's why. I remember the melody fairly well, especially the second because I did an a capella cover of it in the "guess the ae track" thread a while back.

Here it is

http://dl.dropbox.co...099/whichAE.wav

Going through my files, I apparently did like 10 others as well. Good times.

Archived