IGNORED

Deepchord presents Echospace - Liumin

azatoth

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to this a dozen times over by now and really do not get all the disappointment. I think for anyone who actively follows all the different Modell/Hitchell projects (and not just Echospace) this record isn't really THAT drastically different. Maybe it's just me though...I listen to way too much dub techno sometimes...

Guest Makinami

Listened to this a dozen times over by now and really do not get all the disappointment.

Me too. It's my fav of the year already.

yeah, i gotta say i really really like this. not coldest season 2, or even as good as the first, but i'm a big fan of this new record.

I'm not really a fan of the Basic Channel dub-techno sound, but from listening to the previews on boomkat I quickly bought a copy. The second disc in particular sounds incredible with its mixture of ambient drones and found sounds - especially as I've quite a thing for field recordings anyway ...

I'm not really a fan of the Basic Channel dub-techno sound, but from listening to the previews on boomkat I quickly bought a copy. The second disc in particular sounds incredible with its mixture of ambient drones and found sounds - especially as I've quite a thing for field recordings anyway ...

i'm a huge fan of both the basic channel future dub thing and found sound/field recordings so this is doubly good

I love Basic Channel too...but honestly to my ears very little sounds like Basic Channel. I've spent a lot of time considering this and I cannot understand why people seem to drop the BC name every time a dub techno record comes out. Honestly not trying to start shit here, just pointing it out that IMO, if any of the BC stuff sounds like Echospace at all, it would have to be some of the Rhythm & Sound stuff (which is really still stretching it for me - I'm going on the aspects of lots of textural noises being used in tandem with a super minimal reggae influence). The Basic Channel catalog is way too cold/alien to me, and Maurizio (while being my absolute favorite of the BC stead) has more in common with minimal techno stuff like Wolfgang Voigt's Studio 1 project, Robert Hood or even Plastikman. I've listened to a number of other names from the dub techno scene too and honestly I have yet to hear a really straight BC soundalike. This is only to their credit with me though, as I think Mark and Moritz are geniuses and cannot be duplicated!

I love Basic Channel too...but honestly to my ears very little sounds like Basic Channel. I've spent a lot of time considering this and I cannot understand why people seem to drop the BC name every time a dub techno record comes out. Honestly not trying to start shit here, just pointing it out that IMO, if any of the BC stuff sounds like Echospace at all, it would have to be some of the Rhythm & Sound stuff (which is really still stretching it for me - I'm going on the aspects of lots of textural noises being used in tandem with a super minimal reggae influence). The Basic Channel catalog is way too cold/alien to me, and Maurizio (while being my absolute favorite of the BC stead) has more in common with minimal techno stuff like Wolfgang Voigt's Studio 1 project, Robert Hood or even Plastikman. I've listened to a number of other names from the dub techno scene too and honestly I have yet to hear a really straight BC soundalike. This is only to their credit with me though, as I think Mark and Moritz are geniuses and cannot be duplicated!

100% totally agree! Nothing sounds like Basic Channel.

Thirded. What Echospace is doing is much more Detroit influenced with the dub twist and the dub is much more apparent in their material than any of the BC stuff (not including R&S), IMO.

BC being synonymous with dub techno is more caused by lazy music journalism than anything else.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

I just listened to this once and I immediately loved the field recordings.

I'll give it a couple more listens to see if the 1st disc is as good as the 2nd.

I love the second CD, compliments the main album nicely. At first when I heard it would be field recordings I didn't think it would be anything more, but this has some nice ambient synth work done on it to make it really atmospheric and very much like the other ambient work by Modell.

Anyone got an opinion on the 2nd CD with the Tokyo field recordings?

Yeah I'm much preferring the second CD to the first. As azatoth said, I first thought it was just going to be just field recordings, and as much as I like a good field recording a whole hour would get a little testing. However when I listened to the samples on Boomkat and heard these minimal ambient pads and drones coming through I instantly clicked 'Buy'. So far I've only made it about half way through this second disc as I keep on falling asleep - which I know sounds like a bad thing, but for me that's a sign of quality !

So far I've only made it about half way through this second disc as I keep on falling asleep - which I know sounds like a bad thing, but for me that's a sign of quality !

I love the second CD, compliments the main album nicely. At first when I heard it would be field recordings I didn't think it would be anything more, but this has some nice ambient synth work done on it to make it really atmospheric and very much like the other ambient work by Modell.

Anyone got an opinion on the 2nd CD with the Tokyo field recordings?

Yeah I'm much preferring the second CD to the first. As azatoth said, I first thought it was just going to be just field recordings, and as much as I like a good field recording a whole hour would get a little testing. However when I listened to the samples on Boomkat and heard these minimal ambient pads and drones coming through I instantly clicked 'Buy'. So far I've only made it about half way through this second disc as I keep on falling asleep - which I know sounds like a bad thing, but for me that's a sign of quality !

Just got this too and I love the ambiences too. I didn't now Modell before, where's his other work to be found?

Oooh actually, listening to the first disc again I'm torn between which is my favourite. BCN Dub is absolute killer pre-going-out pick-me-up track ....

Just got this too and I love the ambiences too. I didn't now Modell before, where's his other work to be found?

He has released some stuff on Silentes that is his ambient works, which is all worth checking out. If you like Gas-like ambient, then check out his Global Systems Silently Moving - Altering the Air album.

Guest Hanratty

the Rod Modell plays Michael Mantra album is one of my favorites, and does not seem to be as well known as Echospace, but it's easily as good as Liumin.

After what's been dozens of listens now on different setups, I can indeed confirm that this is my favorite record of 2010 so far.

Archived