IGNORED

this lead me to this lead me to this lead me to this

jeremymacgregor87

klaxons-myths-of-the-near-future12.jpg

this album cover is amazing!

I got that album freshman year (so, four years ago) and I still listen to it. It's pretty cool sounding and most of my friends like it much more than my other stuff, so I can blast it and not get bitched at.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is the earliest I can remember (posted it before, with my own cover art from when I was about 8)

m6eazpma.jpg

then

*long gap*

to various soundtracks

front-300x292.jpg

to them

Einsturzende-Neubauten-80-83-Strategies-88297.jpg

then he came along with this album

aphex-twin-85-92-1.jpg

then those guys with that

40942959.png

and eventually these

Boards+Of+Canada+-+The+Campfire+Headphase.jpg

Guest Sprigg

Creed

Project 86

Zao

Misery Signals/ Between the Buried and Me/ Dillinger Escape Plan/ The Faceless

She Wants Revenge/ Iron and Wine

...and finally Autechre/ Aphex (found Quaristice and Selected Ambient Works 85-92 at my local library and fell in love)

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

DK_Plastic_Surgery_Disasters.jpg

+

album-duran-duran-rio.jpg

led to everything.

That was in 1984 when I was 10.

Wow. How did PSD lead to Rio? Thats a mind boggler. The reverse here, jumping up and down on a couch to 80's drum machines before the DK/Minor Threat/Circle Jerks phase.

Guest disparaissant

i don't feel like putting in effort but:

grunge and classic rock

led to

NOFX

led to

Bad Religion

led to

Dead Kennedys

led to

Black Flag (Damaged, specifically)

plus a good dose of clinical depression led to

Joy Division (also The Smiths/The Cure/Sisters of Mercy/80s goth rock in general but Joy Division is important becauuuuse)

led to

New Order

led to

Depeche Mode

led to

Paul Oakenfold and other really rubbish trance

led to

Sonic Subjunkies and ATR and even some really bad gabber

led to me looking for something electronic but different, thus

Autechre

DK_Plastic_Surgery_Disasters.jpg

+

album-duran-duran-rio.jpg

led to everything.

That was in 1984 when I was 10.

Wow. How did PSD lead to Rio? Thats a mind boggler. The reverse here, jumping up and down on a couch to 80's drum machines before the DK/Minor Threat/Circle Jerks phase.

Naw they happened at the same time. That's why the "+" sign is there...:)

Guest Masonic Boom

Oh boy, so many timelines and parallel processes, but the one that bought me to Aphex went something like...

duran+duran.jpg

led to

16568229.jpg

led to

Tigermountaineno.jpg

a song on which was covered by

bauhaussky.jpg

led to

joy_division_-_closer.jpg

who turned into

mob7_1138814680.jpg

New-Order-Technique-443008.jpg

saw them play with

808-state-ex-el-download-3838.jpeg

which led to

orbital-2-brown-album-cover.jpg

but I also knew about Orbital because they'd sampled

gala-in.jpg

who had played with

my+bloody.jpg

who I had got into from

Spacemen-3-The-Perfect-Presc-179681.jpg

who had been introduced to me by

jazz+butcher_a+scandal+in+bohemia.jpg

who featured the bass player from

bauhaus-in-the-flat-field.jpg

who were on a label I really loved with

cocteau_twins_-_treasure%2B84.jpg

and all that kind of stuff influenced

quique.jpg

Then one day a mate of mine told me that

808-state-ex-el-download-3838.jpeg + quique.jpg =

Aphex-Twin-Selected-Ambient-475132.jpg

And here we are.

Guest Calx Sherbet

AFX's discography (9th grade)

to

everything else i like.

edit: i like the detail of yours, Masonic

Don't know if my Path is that original, but here it is.

French singers + other stuff lead me to

ACDC-BIB.jpg

to

gorillaz_demon_days.jpg

to

Franz+Ferdinand+do+you+want+to.jpg

to

daft_punk__discovery.jpg

(where my parents started to be worried about my music)

to

MusicCatalog%5CS%5CSebastian%20-%20Ross%20Ross%20Ross%20EP%20(CD5)%5CSebastian%20-%20Ross%20Ross%20Ross%20EP%20(CD5).jpg

to

MusicCatalog%5CV%5CVA%20-%20Crydamoure%20pres.%20Waves%20vol.1%5CVA%20-%20Crydamoure%20Presents%20Waves%20vol.1.jpg+ roule-563b97.jpg

to

squarepusher-just-a-souvenir-cd-cover-artwork-31304.jpeg+ cucharasonica.com.wp-content.uploads.2009.02.aphex-twin-windowlicker.jpg

to

Autechre2.jpg

(where my parents started to think I'm crazy)

Among other things.

Guest Mtabor

Started here:

donuts-3.jpg

which took me here:

beat-konducta-mad-lib.jpg

I liked the whole beat konducta album format:

20091203_554683.jpg

and this guy also did it:

1278550.jpg

and put out this new album:

ACO12x1.jpg

which is heavily indebted to this band:

083wbitdzapp03sh8.jpg

Whew!

from when i can think of 'til now:

instrumental music (jarre.age 5) -> german schlager (drafi deutscher.age 6)-> hard rock (ac/dc, van halen.age 7) -> prog rock (marillion, genesis.age 8) ->

pop (huey lewis. age 9-13) -> metal (slayer, metallica. age 14-15) -> hip-hop (de la soul, public enemy. age 13-16) -> post punk (bad religion, fugazi. age 15-18) ->

techno, house, acid (age 18) -> back to hip-hop's golden era (been a b-boy since then) -> opened up for pretty much every genre, music-style since then... -> watmm

cd-cover.jpg

The first music I liked as a kid - I literally hated my older siblings watching MTV because music annoyed me. That was until Wannabe came out.

to

Jamiroquai%20-%20Deeper%20Underground%20(US%20release)%20(CD5).jpg

I listened to pretty generic pop music for ages, at some point I heard this song and loved how sorta dark and groovy the music was. Nobody in school understood why I liked it, but the music clicked with me somehow. Plus I think Jay Kay has a quality voice.

to

Prodigy+-+(1994)+Music+For+The+Jilted+Generation.jpg

I kinda always liked Prodigy, when I was a youngun my older brothers were in the rave scene and they listened to Experience all the time. It seemed natural that I would eventually get into this stuff, I still think Poison is amazing.

to

version2.jpg

The electronic seed was sown by Jamiroquai and it grew a bit more with this album. I adored Push It when I first heard it and asked for my folks to buy the album for ages up until my birthday when they finally got it. I still love this album, maybe out of nostalgia. I also still have a major crush on Shirley Manson from this period (see I Think I'm Paranoid video)

to

album-chocolate-starfish-and-the-hot-dog-flavored-water.jpg

At some point I listened to I Disappear by Metallica when metal music channels first started popping up, that led to the other MI2 song by Limp Bizkit, then ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN! I dunno, I don't listen to Limp anymore as it's kinda hilarious but there are a few good tracks. I was addicted to this album and it's what got me into nu metal.

to

df85f7.jpg

Yeah! KoRn! I was their biggest fan up until everything after Untouchables when I just got sick of Jon Davis and their clear lack of any inspiration. That doesn't stop the first three albums and a few tracks off Issues being quality still though.

to

the-downward-spiral.jpg

My teen angst and hidden passion for electronic sorta developed into love for this album which I felt combined the two well. Also I think it was McGriff that put it best, saying that even though the lyrics and Trents voice sound kinda gay now, they were EXACTLY what I needed to hear at the time.

to

tool_aenima.jpg

I'm not sure how I made the jump to Tool, but I started to appreciate longer track times and more technical metal after listening to SikTh and it led to Tool after hearing Aenima (the tune) - I think Tool are amazing still. Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days are brilliant albums.

to

portishead_dummy.jpg

So, a very clear logical step from Tool to Portishead. I was pretty miserable at the time I listened to this album, naturally I chased down other trip-hop stuff but found nothing really came close to this.

to

41Gq9ND--PL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

After Portishead I got bored of pretty much all the music I was hearing, then I heard The Greater Wrong of the Right (an album a lot of OG SP fans hate) and loved it. I thought Ogre's voice was great and the music worked for me, I ended up delving into their entire back catalog and spent a year or so acquiring everything they did, side projects included. Download's III was the first entirely vocalless electronic album I ever listened to and I loved it. That paved the way

to

untilted.jpg

Untilted was a difficult first album to get into but it worked its way into my heart after I bought it for £3 on Amazon and I haven't turned back. I'm not sure if anyone will ever top my adoration for ae. It's the longest I've ever been stuck on one band and easily the music with the highest quality control.

Guest Mtabor

just ordered Onra.

I hope I get a chance to play it at a party.

Its an incredible album, great soundtrack for summer nights large and small

Archived