IGNORED

Autechre tour Australia May 27-29 2010

djimbe

I was at the Hi-Fi Bar as well - waited 14 years to see them and expected to be mildly let down. Instead I was utterly blown away. About ten minutes in I suddenly realised why they play in darkness, shut my eyes, and my brain exploded. Between my chest being thunked by wooden bass hits, and the icy shards of sound which seemed to be hovering above the stage, I have never been so involved in a live set of any kind (and I've seen a lot). The PA was fantastic, punishingly loud without a hint of distortion, and now I realise why they don't release the live sets, simply because they need to be heard that loud and that clearly.

Truly, truly outstanding. If anyone ever thinks twice about making the effort to see them, MAKE THE EFFORT.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

man that set was unreal!

there seemed to've been a good few number of songs in there which was were just incredible. people keep commenting on the bass hits. it was almost asif every song had its own unique bass hit which was pretty juicy.

...now I realise why they don't release the live sets, simply because they need to be heard that loud and that clearly.

i kind of understand this as well. or at least, the whole process of them playing live seems so perfected that something would might be lost in just a live recording. that said, the material is so insanely good that it does need to be heard by as many fans as possible. and for the people lucky enough to see it live, it needs to be heard again and again!

some of the songs that were in the set. oh my god, they were so good. the one song with the ultra fast lcc style beat. the mixing on those bass hits was phenomenal! and not only the drums. but all the amazing synths and awesome metallic squelches going on. crazy rhythms. man, i loved that shit. i really need to a hear a good quality recording of the oversteps set.

regarding the live sets, yeah. obviously it is special material, set to be heard on venues, club etc.. i was listening to the belgium mp3 the other day & honestly, i'm not sure that it would really fit with a private/domestic listening, like a cd release. the set is great but after 40min of "those fast beats", i need a break. on a related note, the recent biosphere (or fennesz) sets are perfect for home listening.

man that set was unreal!

there seemed to've been a good few number of songs in there which was were just incredible. people keep commenting on the bass hits. it was almost asif every song had its own unique bass hit which was pretty juicy.

...now I realise why they don't release the live sets, simply because they need to be heard that loud and that clearly.

i kind of understand this as well. or at least, the whole process of them playing live seems so perfected that something would might be lost in just a live recording. that said, the material is so insanely good that it does need to be heard by as many fans as possible. and for the people lucky enough to see it live, it needs to be heard again and again!

I don't really agree with the 'again and again'. I think any live show has to stand up on its own legs for 1 listen. This is what describes the difference between an Autechre CD and a show. The CD can be listened to a zillion times, so includes all the pace changes, details, arrhythmic stuff, slower and weirder tracks, etc. The shows are, broadly, more 'clubby' because they are live events which have to be interpreted immediately and on 1 hearing, with the assumption you may never hear it again.

When I listen to bootlegs from the current set, and find myself more interested in it (musically, rather than viscerally) than I was live, it tells me my senses were too fried on the night (probably from the previous 3+ hours of sound) to follow it.

Guest bitroast

i dunno man, i've listened to the glasgow and hemsby soundboards 'again and again'. i'm sure i could just about listen to the recent live material 'again and again' too. maybe!

Guest bitroast

That was a really strange experience. Got a really decent recording in 48/24 . . .I think I will upload it to Archive.org

this would be amazing!

i dunno man, i've listened to the glasgow and hemsby soundboards 'again and again'. i'm sure i could just about listen to the recent live material 'again and again' too. maybe!

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean they can't be enjoyed again. They clearly can, especially for Autechre fans. I also listen to live set recordings.

What I was trying to say was they're not produced with the expectation that they actually need to be listened to more than once to be got or interpreted... unlike the CD material. The event is the event, the sound of the room is the sound of the room, and the music they play live is geared to that.

I pointed out that I was enjoying the recording of the set more than my memory of being there, which (apart from being mildly depressing!) shows me my senses weren't up to it at the time.

Some people just aren't into abstract shit.

I find MOST people cant handle abstract music. Personally I love it and thats why I love Autechre live and studios work.

Why is it the general public can appreciate an abstract painting and yet not get abstract music.

Guest victorian sewer rituals

Some people just aren't into abstract shit.

I find MOST people cant handle abstract music. Personally I love it and thats why I love Autechre live and studios work.

Why is it the general public can appreciate an abstract painting and yet not get abstract music.

Probablly because there is an abundance of 'abstract' visual depictions and objects all around us all the time (advertising, architecture, labels, shirt designs, basically everything.) Whereas almost all the music that people hear is conventionally commoditized and can be easily classified as rock, jazz etc. We have been receiving a tiny percentage of the whole of what music is without being aware of it for the most part.

Must have set uploaded! :unsure:

Guest sense

Hey did anyone get a decent bootleg of the Melbourne show? was awesome to be there, would love to relisten to it :D

sense.

Guest Greg Reason

Maybe you should read the other posts in a thread before posting in it... just an idea...

Guest sense

I was at the Hi-Fi Bar as well - waited 14 years to see them and expected to be mildly let down. Instead I was utterly blown away. About ten minutes in I suddenly realised why they play in darkness, shut my eyes, and my brain exploded. Between my chest being thunked by wooden bass hits, and the icy shards of sound which seemed to be hovering above the stage, I have never been so involved in a live set of any kind (and I've seen a lot). The PA was fantastic, punishingly loud without a hint of distortion, and now I realise why they don't release the live sets, simply because they need to be heard that loud and that clearly.

Truly, truly outstanding. If anyone ever thinks twice about making the effort to see them, MAKE THE EFFORT.

same thing happened to me, closing my eyes and just using my ears really made it enjoy it just that much more.

I must have looked so stoned...the bouncer thought so anyway (and almost didn't let me in) despite the fact that I was completely sober after a couple of beers earlier.

- i was there..

- eyes closed

- stoned yes

- and beers

was well wicked to see autechre live again

well worth getting out of the house into the melbourne cop ridden city for.

respect to everyone who attended.

amazing gig , made the HI FI bar sound well decent.

Was at the Sydney show, had mad fun dancin' my arse off to Rob Hall, what a champ... Autechre were amazing of course, but it's all a bit of a blur and seemed to go really quickly, and i'd tipped myself over the point of no return with beer consumption, so my general health and wellbeing was decending rapidly towards the end :(

awesome tho!!! even if i did want to top myself at the airport at 4am!

Guest sense

Was at the Sydney show, had mad fun dancin' my arse off to Rob Hall, what a champ... Autechre were amazing of course, but it's all a bit of a blur and seemed to go really quickly, and i'd tipped myself over the point of no return with beer consumption, so my general health and wellbeing was decending rapidly towards the end :(

awesome tho!!! even if i did want to top myself at the airport at 4am!

thats quite a review :P

Guest extherium

Been through the entire thread.... no Sydney show recording? I swear I saw someone with what looked like a recorder... :(

The Melbourne show was unbelievable. Truly mindblowing stuff. It actually struck me as a lot more "detailed" then the majority of their output- always a lot going on. Like a rave from the year 3000.

I got some crappy footage on my camera, but really really want a better recording....

Guest Greg Reason

Been through the entire thread.... no Sydney show recording? I swear I saw someone with what looked like a recorder... :(

No one's piped up yet...

Guest victorian sewer rituals

dl'ing now. so excited!!! :emotawesomepm9:

429 mb of live ae flac *drools*

Archived