IGNORED

Autechre tour Australia May 27-29 2010

djimbe

Guest Greg Reason

sydney set had wnsn, chen9, ilanders. the melbourne set had NONe of these :O

The chenc9 thing is in the Melbourne set too.

They didn't play ilanders, it sounded like they incorporated elements of it into what they were doing but you know, it's just sort of a big mash-up and it's difficult to say what's from what.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Spec

Melbourne show was amazing. I managed to miss my flight from Canberra on the morning, had to buy another one for double the price but it was most definitely worth it. Especially because of this, was too excited to not look like a retard in the photo though. Anyone else meet Rob afterward?

post-7692-012270300 1275572788_thumb.jpg

Guest harry merkin

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my recording of the Melbourne show. I'm not tooooo fussed about remasters and stuff, I mean . . .I think I want to just upload my recording to Archive. Thanks for the remaster, Greg.

Guest Spec

wow, still jhaven't had a proper sleep since the melbourne show... i had BoC t-shirt on and remember heaps of people making comments about the shirt,,, didn't manage to bunt into any fellow watmm's though.....

but the gig itself was stellar! too tired to think clearly now, biut around 20mins in they did something very similar to Sublimit"

did anyone time how long they were out there for? 90Mins or so?.... it seemed way shorter than that.... need sleep.... thank you AE

Oh yea, I think my drunk friend was harassing you on the train on the way to the gig :wink:

I'm glad everyone is enjoying my recording of the Melbourne show. I'm not tooooo fussed about remasters and stuff, I mean . . .I think I want to just upload my recording to Archive. Thanks for the remaster, Greg.

thank you for the amazing recording!

Guest uncajesse

my remaster. had it done yesterday but had to be approved to post.

http://tinyurl.com/aehifibar

from my notes, included:

Remastered to correct for massive problems with polarity and phase, in addition to frequency response of the Zoom H4N in that room. Extra attention was also given to re-alignment across the spectrum. All in all a much more pleasurable experience on headphones and speakers.

Every single process in the chain was as minimal as possible, and of the utmost highest quality possible, either created by myself or the best of class available from others. Everything processing in at least 64bits, through a 64bit audio path. And finally SRC to 44kHz with the highest quality filters specially tuned for this live set, and dithered to 16bit.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to remove the idiot with the evil wizard laugh.

cheers =] and props to Shane Reynolds aka Harry Merkin for the recording in the first place.

I may do a processed version which will balance out the spectrum using high end broadcast audio processing I've been involved with for the past 5 years (as heard on the Olympics, Superbowl, World Cup, and about 75% of all digital TV now). I have a few presets I've designed over the years that can do this without any of the noticeably bad dynamic range slam we've grown to hate. ;) So we'll see.

But for now, these FLACs will do. They are basically unlimited, with maybe about 1dB max gain reduction at 2-3 single spots during the whole recording, for clipping protection.

Guest Greg Reason

Thank you! It's such a beautiful recording.

I really haven't done too much to it so most people would be fine with the original version. I just figured it was so good already that a few tweaks would push it over the line to being one of the best ae live recordings out there. At times it's pretty much soundboard quality then you hear someone talking :biggrin:

Guest Greg Reason

my remaster. had it done yesterday but had to be approved to post.

http://tinyurl.com/aehifibar

from my notes, included:

Remastered to correct for massive problems with polarity and phase, in addition to frequency response of the Zoom H4N in that room. Extra attention was also given to re-alignment across the spectrum. All in all a much more pleasurable experience on headphones and speakers.

Every single process in the chain was as minimal as possible, and of the utmost highest quality possible, either created by myself or the best of class available from others. Everything processing in at least 64bits, through a 64bit audio path. And finally SRC to 44kHz with the highest quality filters specially tuned for this live set, and dithered to 16bit.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to remove the idiot with the evil wizard laugh.

cheers =] and props to Shane Reynolds aka Harry Merkin for the recording in the first place.

I may do a processed version which will balance out the spectrum using high end broadcast audio processing I've been involved with for the past 5 years (as heard on the Olympics, Superbowl, World Cup, and about 75% of all digital TV now). I have a few presets I've designed over the years that can do this without any of the noticeably bad dynamic range slam we've grown to hate. ;) So we'll see.

But for now, these FLACs will do. They are basically unlimited, with maybe about 1dB max gain reduction at 2-3 single spots during the whole recording, for clipping protection.

Wow that's well sophisticated compared to my rig!

I just used Waves Renaissance and L series stuff with a few Sonnox plugs (I especially love their Inflator), tightened it up overall, brought out a bit of top end detail to make the frequency spectrum more balanced, filtered extreme sub activity out and gave it a bit more punch around 60Hz, cleaned out the murk in the lower mids which helped reduce the boxiness of the room sound and made it more upfront.

I decided to keep it in 24bit rather than dither down because it's not often that we get a recording in such high definition so I figure we may as well keep it there and just let people downsample for themselves if they want a smaller version.

(And yeah I trimmed the Rob Hall stuff at the start of the recording and joined all the sections into one file.)

Guest uncajesse

The phase correction was to correct for the 90 degree shift up top, but from about 900 Hz progressively downwards it shifts to 270 degrees between the channels. Once that was corrected for, the remaining bass was removed from the difference channel in the same area of the low-frequency phase shift, to end up with something pretty close (probably roughly 3.01dB less) to the response the recording should have had without the weird phase shifting. So then that was corrected for, in addition to adding a bit of low lows. ;)

The dithering I used was Apogee Digital's UV22HR, so the perceptive bit depth is more like 20-22 bits. You can test this somewhat reliably if you encode to Lame, then decode it into 32bits. You should end up with more than 96dB dynamic range IF the original recording allows for it. :) In this case, the original recording doesn't benefit from much more than 16bits, and 20 is certainly way more than enough.

Not that most people have converters that can properly play back much over 16bits of depth. I'm working with Apogee converters, mainly a Rosetta 200 for my mains and a Mini-DAC for my headphones... and even those ($2500 and $1300 converters, respectively) have enough dynamic range for only about 20bits of information. Soundblasters and most other consumer cards (like M-Audio) are darn lucky to hit 16bits accurately before ic-amp/op-amp noise, quantization noise (from adaptive multi-phasic sample rate conversion), RFI, and a host of other potential problems start to come into play.

Guest victorian sewer rituals

WOW uncajesse! this is at least twice as good sounding as the originals which were already great. Very vivid now. Really well done job! :emotawesomepm9:

Their oversteps set is dangerously addictive.

Guest sense

heh :D

word unca

ahh, hey Adam. You were there, you lucky bastad.

yes i was there with tim koch and some other crew :D

was a great thing to be there.

woah, listening to the JesseG remaster as i write, it's like the world's biggest tits just got even bigger! thanks so much to you guys! it's like 95% soundboard (and maybe even better that way), just amazing!

:wub::music:

So are any of these links a single file? Flac, Wav, Mp3. It doesnt matter.

it's 1 zip containing 4 flacs

Guest sense

woah, listening to the JesseG remaster as i write, it's like the world's biggest tits just got even bigger! thanks so much to you guys! it's like 95% soundboard (and maybe even better that way), just amazing!

now it sounds much more like , its recorded from where i was standing in the room right next to the house mixer.

Guest sense

next to the house mixer in the middle sorta near the left side of the stairs but more next to the centre

just wanted to say thanks to harry for getting that happening. one of the best autechre live sets i've heard!

(for the record, i don't really mind the mad wizard laughter)

now it sounds much more like , its recorded from where i was standing in the room right next to the house mixer.

Adam I was right in front of the mixer right in the middle, where else would you expect me to be :-) I stood there for 2 hours before they played to make sure no one got my spot :-)

Shame I didnt see you there

Ross

Thanks Greg for the recording!

I was so glad to be there, after not seeing them for 15 years, and now I have a lovely recording of it :-)My all time fav artists in the world just get better and better !!!!!!:-)

I wish Autechre would sell live recordings after the show , that would be super cool :-)

I would love to see a AUtechre live box like Farmers Manual did , all their live shows on one DVD, way too much to get through but I have the rest of my life to get through it.

Archived