IGNORED

Autechre tour Australia May 27-29 2010

djimbe

Guest bitroast

careful now. revealing you went to an autechre gig without recording it can result it forum backlash !

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brain is melted. That was an excellent and very specific strategy to indulge the crowd with an orgy of beats via Rob Hall (he pre-empted your amen request, pigster) and then when they'd had their fill and were over it, *bam* comes the fucked-up rhythms and melodies

For onlookers, we're talking about the Sydney show here btw.

My summary - I found the Autechre show pulverising and very difficult. I've only listened to a small percentage of archived shows, but this was more difficult than any I've heard.

I think Rob Hall played too long. 2 hrs of incredibly consistent beats, on the heels of the DJ and before Autechre. My senses were pretty drained before Autechre started, which was not a good situation when it was so hard to grab onto stuff in their set.

I was absolute front and centre. The guy to my left kept cradling his head on the barricade. You could tell people were starting to hope at each pause that Autechre would start (and around the midnight mark, they'd just taken to screaming 'where.t.f are Autechre?', or swearing during the breaks). After 3 hours+ of gabber like bass and beat punishment in which I hadn't moved from my tiny patch, as I didn't think I'd be able to recover it if I did, Autechre came on. Body language of the crowd got excited and perked up. But about halfway through their set, again, from the body language around me, I'd say people were waning. And I could tell I was waning :) I mean I'd been dancing around to Rob Hall, but it's not just that I'm over 30 and up past my bedtime, it's that I basically had to stop moving to try to concentrate on the music to find a pattern to move to. And then I'd kind of be stuck there concentrating and concentrating. That's how the people around me looked as well.

The kick sound was so omnipresent. I heard people talking about it when I joined the cab queue.

This may all soundspretty negative, but I mean I still enjoyed it. Of course I was very excited to see them. But it was challenging beyond practicality to me, and I would have come later if I'd know Rob Hall's set would be as long as it was.

I think Rob Hall played too long. 2 hrs of incredibly consistent beats, on the heels of the DJ and before Autechre. My senses were pretty drained before Autechre started, which was not a good situation when it was so hard to grab onto stuff in their set.

Like I said, deliberate - it was about getting your mind in a certain space where you're not focusing (edit: are tired of) on straight rhythms. I was front-left on mid-level balcony, I found it best to turn my head so that my ear was facing the speaker and close my eyes. I really got into it that way. There's a clear reason why they choose to play late and in near-total darkness.

Parts of it were less digestible to me than others, but I'd say 75% of the time I was syncing with it well

I did like the darkness!

Guest Greg Reason

The Sydney show was fuckin mental. Wayyyy different to the prior Oversteps shows and a lot longer; ae went for around an hour and a half. They threw in a bit of Chenc9, which was a cool surprise as I thought they'd ditched it and there were tiny bits of other Quaristice bits n pieces floating around in there.

And the sound was very, very good. It was good n loud but not overbearing and the bass was in good proportion to the rest of it so all the melodies n fiddly stuff was audible. Total win.

I am off to see AUtechre tonight. They last played here 15 years ago in front of 40 people. It was amazing and I cant wait to see them again.

SO in honor of them I made this Autechre patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGIef9QwV1A

and this older one

http://www.youtube.com/user/cray56#p/u/9/4ivOLIN8ins

Guest Greg Reason

I believe I saw Greg Reason. He was to the left of the head-cradling-barricade guy ;)

Wasn't me, I wasn't anywhere near the front, I was towards the back of the floor havin a good ol dance :biggrin:

Thanks for posting the link to the vid! Very cool to have any recording of that

I believe I saw Greg Reason. He was to the left of the head-cradling-barricade guy ;)

Wasn't me, I wasn't anywhere near the front, I was towards the back of the floor havin a good ol dance :biggrin:

Thanks for posting the link to the vid! Very cool to have any recording of that

Darn! I thought I'd been really clever in identifying someone from a casually glanced at internet photo, heh

Yeah, the vid's not bad at all for a phone recording.

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah as well as Chenc9 I think they also did a version of WNSN, that was wicked to hear really loud! Twisted tune.

Just got home from Melbourne gig. Great night

Harmonic 313played some great tracks and it was cool to hear some Jungle.

Rob Hall was also amazing

Autechres set 90mins long of pure asteroid banging on our techno party spaceship

It was really like ChiChi Suite Reclaimed but much more advanced!

There is no one like Autechre and I truly believe they really push the limits of composition

It was also great to see a sold out/ jam packed Ae gig where everyone was going metal

Guest harry merkin

That was a really strange experience. Got a really decent recording in 48/24 . . .I think I will upload it to Archive.org

wow, still jhaven't had a proper sleep since the melbourne show... i had BoC t-shirt on and remember heaps of people making comments about the shirt,,, didn't manage to bunt into any fellow watmm's though.....

but the gig itself was stellar! too tired to think clearly now, biut around 20mins in they did something very similar to Sublimit"

did anyone time how long they were out there for? 90Mins or so?.... it seemed way shorter than that.... need sleep.... thank you AE

wow, still jhaven't had a proper sleep since the melbourne show... i had BoC t-shirt on and remember heaps of people making comments about the shirt,,, didn't manage to bunt into any fellow watmm's though.....

but the gig itself was stellar! too tired to think clearly now, biut around 20mins in they did something very similar to Sublimit"

did anyone time how long they were out there for? 90Mins or so?.... it seemed way shorter than that.... need sleep.... thank you AE

90 mins exactly

i have suspicions that there sets are not entirely live, but who cares

i have suspicions that there sets are not entirely live, but who cares

Well of course they're not 'live' as par playing instruments.. but you can definitely hear the differences in the composition of noodling if you listen to different sets from the same tours. What leads you to this supposition?

Guest Greg Reason

That was a really strange experience. Got a really decent recording in 48/24 . . .I think I will upload it to Archive.org

My new hero, even moreso if you can go back in time a few days and do the same for the Sydney gig :lol:

Archived