IGNORED

Drukqs

bubbhasdance

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok dude, i'll just put an aphex symbol as my avatar and write ""Aphex Twin under it rather than talking about music... and then give it a 10/10

your a real fan

Guest Masonic Boom

it's not synaethesia, it's just associative thought...

harmony obviously has a colour parallels... more complex harmony = more beat-frequency melting and richer/dark/pungent colours. basic triads in basic western harmony being like primary colours almost, minor being cooler colours, a diminished chord having loads of internal mixing of harmony being a darker colour like brown or something - mixing loads of colours together... it's al just personaly association - not really a perfect 'art' to it but it's pretty obvious to make parallels there when we all have a pretty similar musical heritage.

and then just association with timbre with certain sounds... it's not synaesthesia to imagine ageispolis being 'blue' or something when there's running water and drowning reverb and other similarly cool aquatic type sounds.

synaethesia would be a involuntary "green" everytime you heard a Dm or something - and not a C#m. unless you were just being associative and had perfect pitch maybbe haha

OK, thanks, this makes a lot more sense when you explain it this way, rather than people just randomly shouting out a song title and the name of a colour.

It's weird, though, because even though I'm a visual artist, and I often do create pieces inspired by certain songs, I very seldom get colour associations in terms of my visual imagination of music.

Textures, yes, and kind of architectural associations of space and rooms (how a song can sound "tall and airy" or "small and claustrophobic" makes a lot of sense to me. Listening to an album is often like a landscape or a procession of rooms to me) - perhaps even shapes and patterns. But I guess I'm odd in that I don't have the association of colour with tones.

(Except in very, very specific ways (like, D = yellow, C = green, A = blue) but that is only because I was taught to read music with colour coding on a musical stave before I even learned to read text - and NOTHING to do with synaesthesia at all)

Anyway, carry on, I was just trolling there, really, and obviously it really worked ha ha. ::slaps wrist::

Yellow Calx is actually magenta guys richeerrd was rong

(meltphace is the grey-brown rough denticular skin of a small shark, cut into a square cross-section and suspended in a field azure).

oh. so it's just senseless, subjective associations :emotawesomepm9:

synaethesia would be a involuntary "green" everytime you heard a Dm or something - and not a C#m. unless you were just being associative and had perfect pitch maybbe haha

Yes, lol

Guest Calx Sherbet

wtf does everyone here have synesthesia??

Nah, it's just this thing that the Aphexuals around here like to pretend they have synesthesia because it makes them feel closer to their beloved Rrrrrrrrichie.

I mean, hey, if you ask me, it seems way more pathetic to pretend to have a rare psychological condition than it is to, you know, want a squirt of Aphex sperm up your vagina but that's how they roll around here ha ha :rdjgrin:

:rtfm::facepalm:

harmony obviously has a colour parallels... more complex harmony = more beat-frequency melting and richer/dark/pungent colours. basic triads in basic western harmony being like primary colours almost, minor being cooler colours, a diminished chord having loads of internal mixing of harmony being a darker colour like brown or something - mixing loads of colours together... it's al just personaly association - not really a perfect 'art' to it but it's pretty obvious to make parallels there when we all have a pretty similar musical heritage.

and then just association with timbre with certain sounds... it's not synaesthesia to imagine ageispolis being 'blue' or something when there's running water and drowning reverb and other similarly cool aquatic type sounds.

:ok:

I dunno sometimes it's just random stuff, a bunch of vsnares stuff is pink and I don't know why

and HCCBU is like one track is a pale yellow and another's a slightly richer yellow etc

actually aphex's stuff aside from Drukqs is some of the most boring music visually, it's just a bunch of browns or something. But maybe this adds to the eerieness of some tracks, just seems like a bunch of vague forms in the distance. Maybe Analord tracks are a little better/vivid colors. Tracks like Tha I do like it but it's just some kind of reddish-brown thing. Analoggins is fruity. Some of it there's definitely an overlap with imagination like Portreath Harbour is blue maybe but it's really hard to be objective with a track with port and harbour in the name. But like bbdhoynchord (sp) there's not much to go on and it's this specific kind of green

Guest Calx Sherbet

i get what you mean about specific green. it's like forest green, dark and polished. for me at least

Guest Al5x

Maybe Analord tracks are a little better/vivid colors.

Yeah, Phonatacid is fucking orange to the extreme! I've always thought that at least.

Start As You Mean To Go on has always been a sublime mixture of green & blue to me also. Like blueberries in a grassy meadow or something.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Yeah, Phonatacid is fucking orange to the extreme! I've always thought that at least.

Start As You Mean To Go on has always been a sublime mixture of green & blue to me also. Like blueberries in a grassy meadow or something.

i want an energy drink to be called Phonatacid

start as you mean to go on seems red as hell to me. red, grainy and brutal.

i want an energy drink to be called Phonatacid

start as you mean to go on seems red as hell to me. red, grainy and brutal.

I don't know how many of you really have synaesthesia, but to me, Start as you mean to go on is similar to 73-yips in its violent flashes of bright green. It has sharp, angular shapes and a texture of metallic bars.

Anyway, as we all know, Drukqs has no cohesive flow (it really doesn't). Have you guys ever tried writing your own Druqks playlists? I wrote one some years ago, featuring all 11 IDM tracks. It lasts for exactly 1 hour and 1 second if you count all the silence at the end of Drukqs tracks.

meltphace 6

Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels mount

bbydhyonchord

afx237 v7

taking Control

Orban eq trx4

Vordhosbn

omgyjya-Switch7

54 Cymru beats

cock Ver10

ziggomatic 17

meltphace 6 is the perfect opener to me. I don't know, there's something about the way it starts, and the general feel of it throughout, it makes it feel like there's something magical about not just this track, but the tracks yet to come. I follow it with Mt Saint Michel, which really kicks things off. We take a break from the action with bbydhyonchord, which I feel is a really good track to be placed as Track 03. I think the playlist flows very well, and ends nicely with ziggomatic 17's closing sample "Thankyou for your attention. Bye."

If it were up to me, these 11 tracks would make up the main disk of Drukqs, and the remaining 19 odds and ends would be crammed onto a bonus disk.

Anyway, as we all know, Drukqs has no cohesive flow (it really doesn't).

it's definitely very weird to have gotten used to the track order from the CD release and then to listen through the records.

regardless, i still listen to drukqs "as a whole".

Guest Calx Sherbet

i guess i don't just see colours with music. shapes and amorphous shit too. like those pictures Kaini made

Guest Masonic Boom

Ditto. I keep saying I'm going to make mine own track list that leaves out all the duller bits, but then I put it on the headphones and I just get so caught up in the moment to moment of it that I forget.

It's probably the most absorbing album of the lot. Like, it's not one I can really put on as background music to do something else to. If I put it on, I kind of make the committment to listen to it and not read a book or do some work or anything, it takes over your consciousness and all these little things kind of FORCE you to pay attention.

it's curious to read the color impressions on aphex tracks.

Every now and then it happens to me too to associate colors with music, but it's not a single color, but like a palette of colors. It does not happen frequently (and most of the times I cannot even name out the colors exactly) but I have a precise color sensation about druqks and to me it's like it's just grays. This thing always surprised me the most out of druqks, i.e. that the music is so dense and inspiring yet I cannot feel any color in it... just grays and intense white.

By reading out your comments it came to my mind that prolly druqks, to make an analogy, it's like a b/w photograph. Some photographers do that from time to time, they just go back to b/w to focus on composition and light. Prolly the same thing occured with druqks.

But that's just an opinion, and like Clint Eastwood is quoted to say, opinions are like balls: everyone has theirs.

cheers, watmmers

• 2 weeks later...

should've mentioned if I didn't but aphex is like one of the least colorful artists I can think of, just a lot of browns and stuff for most tracks. I still like his music but other people make more vivid songs as far as colors go

Edit: oh wait I did mention it

Archived