IGNORED

I bought an iPad

word, I fooled around with one briefly and coming from an ipod touch it didn't really do anything for me. Sure, the screen is bigger and ehm it's well bulky.

Yes, that's important since you'll obviously want to fit it in your front shirt pocket :facepalm:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the people that have ipads, does it behave just like an ipod/iphone in that it gos through itunes? the only way to put music, photos, books, etc on it (aside from downloading) is through your main computer right?

so the people that have ipads, does it behave just like an ipod/iphone in that it gos through itunes? the only way to put music, photos, books, etc on it (aside from downloading) is through your main computer right?

pretty much, although if you manually manage music etc you could dump stuff from any computer with iTunes. Also I have a doc and pdf app that bypasses iTunes altogether

how far can you take it without plugging the pad into a regular computer? i.e., does it start to cry for mama iTunes' nipple all the time?

why do you need to plug it into iTunes for, other than music?

You only need to hook an iPad up to itunes to sync music I believe. I suppose OS updates as well. You can rent movies, download podcasts, and buy shit directly from the thing.

I hear the jailbroken iPad has wireless sync which is pretty badass.

Guest maus

i jailbroke mine the day i got it.

the only reason i hook it up to the computer is to charge it, and to add or remove music and / or movies.

i love it. if you're on a long flight, there's nothing better you could have to entertain yourself.

also, to say it's "just a big iPod Touch" is like saying a 54" LCD is "just a big computer monitor". that added real estate and display size make it a different ball game entirely.

no, it's not a computer, but damn does it work well. tablet PCs that run windows, OSX or anything else are fine, but this is all engineered to work as a different paradigm entirely, and it succeeds brilliantly as just that. in fact, the fact that it's NOT a computer is part of the reason it's as cool as it is for me. it's like the ultimate PDA, basically.

i can carry around a few books, every current issue of any given magazine i care to read, a few films and TV shows, a pile of music, games, apps, creative tools. not to mention the netflix app which allows you to stream any movie netflix has online. it's a traveling person's best friend.

i can see people not needing or wanting an iPad. but i still don't understand how much hate it gets. one friend of mine (who one of these guys who shouts "apple computers are TOYS" in polite company) literally YELLED at me when he saw that i had one. i was shocked.

maybe i'll just start getting REALLY angry at people who buy espresso machines.

word, I fooled around with one briefly and coming from an ipod touch it didn't really do anything for me. Sure, the screen is bigger and ehm it's well bulky.

Yes, that's important since you'll obviously want to fit it in your front shirt pocket :facepalm:

Might as well use my laptop then. :trashbear: But hell, if you want to spend all that money on a big ipod, that's fine.

i persoanlly cannot think of a single reason why i would want one of these things. but i could say the same thing about a posh phone.

i think it gets so much hate because it was touted as a game changer and something totally new and revolutionary. a lot of people's issue with it, imo, is that it doesnt replace anything and means now if you carry an iphone, ipad and laptop, you are just a moron who buys toys because they are for sale.

i can see how it could be fun, but it really is a toy. apple never really made a toy before. most people have mp3 players, cell phones and laptops. apples are great. but the ipad doesnt replace any of them.

if you need to travel or want a portable internet device for your house and buy an $800 ipad rather than a 13" macbook, you're being very silly, again, imo.

Guest maus

if you need to travel or want a portable internet device for your house and buy an $800 ipad rather than a 13" macbook, you're being very silly, again, imo.

i've traveled extensively with my macbook pro, and i'd take the ipad in a heartbeat over the macbook pro on a plane, train, or automobile.

laptops are all well and good, and yes they far eclipse the abilities of the ipad, but they're not comfortable to use. pulling out a laptop on a 10-hour flight to watch movies is a hassle. when they bring you your dried out cold chicken, you have to rearrange yourself or put the laptop away to fit everything. it's clunky. not to mention that if you have a pre-unibody MBP the battery won't even last you a full film in most cases. so if you're lucky enough to be on a flight that supplies AC power, you've got a power cord to deal with, which will likely annoy you and your seat neighbour.

on top of that, the ipad was $500, not $800.

i think this thing IS a "game changer", but in a mild way. it's subtly revolutionary, inasmuch as you're becoming comfortable with interacting with your media and the internet in a much different way. the iphones / ipod touches started this, but once you've used the ipad for a while, going back to your laptop feels a little antiquated. it's the more logical way to interface with your computer. but of course it has flaws, and it's going to be improved vastly in the next years.

it's definitely not the singularity, for fuck's sake - and of COURSE apple hyped it up. what's the point of releasing a product if you're not going to generate excitement and sales from it?

whether or not it's a "toy" is up to the user. i have ac-7 pro running on it, and it provides me with a VERY useable hands-on mixer that interfaces brilliantly with logic. i was looking at the euphonix control surfaces, and this has held those off for the forseeable future for $500. (this was actually the app that sold me on the ipad.)

i guess what it comes down to is that the ipad, like it or not, is an innovation. there are other touchscreen / tablet computers, but they just don't work as seamlessly. they basically tack a touchscreen on top of an existing interface paradigm. the ipad (and the other touch devices before it) actually changes the way the system works around you, not just the way you poke at the system. it's just a step in a new direction, it doesn't change the world all at once.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

More importantly, where the hell is your avatar from?

av-4992.png

:wub:

I just googled "soccer" cuz it's football avatar month or somethin, right? lol

I googled "soccer" and I found this:

soccer1p.jpg

:(

i've traveled extensively with my macbook pro, and i'd take the ipad in a heartbeat over the macbook pro on a plane, train, or automobile..

That's pretty much it. I bus and train every day (though I'm reluctant to pull it out amongst skme of the late-night train filth). Good to sit in bum fuck nowhere typing away at whatever + internets also

Ah I def wanna get one when my cash flow is less constipated. Wanted an iphone but my eyesite is so shitty that its just too small for me. And with all the cheep music aps, would make long journeys a pleasure, and possible jazz mutant replacemtn?? Was fucking sold when theyd announced it tbh

Guest mafted

should've gotten the gold one. only $160,000.. come on now..

http://stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=85

edit: diamonds. wtf.

uhh norton (I know...) says that the website you just linked to attempts to hijack your computer

so just a warning for those without noscript.

lol.. Norton? throw that shit away. this is a legitimate company that puts diamonds and gold plating in iPads and blackberries. whatev.

i don't understand the excitement and need to get all the newest gadgets. might be due to the fact i am poor as fuck. i'll let you guys buy all the new stuff and be the testers and i'll get the later generation with all the kinks ironed out and at half the price. :emotawesomepm9:

i don't understand the excitement and need to get all the newest gadgets. might be due to the fact i am poor as fuck. i'll let you guys buy all the new stuff and be the testers and i'll get the later generation with all the kinks ironed out and at half the price. :emotawesomepm9:

Then why was your post filled with butthurt?

Archived