IGNORED

Venetian Snares - My So-Called Life

Guest DNBJerk is for real life

No matter what, this album still won't be as half as good as the new Devo record.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hummm...

I dunno, didnt grab me this time around. Im sure he can knock this stuff out with out any kinda effort, and while I do enjoy the madness from time to time, i think there are a bunch of lesser known producers who this could easily be mistaken for. Snares shines when he does the amazing things like Chrome Cylinder, Winter in the Belly, etc, stuff that is a little more.... goes a little further. Some of his stuff is pure fuckin genius, but this aint that.

What I do find interesting is the fact that its on a new sublabel... I wonder whos idea that was? Maybe Snares doesnt wanna be releasing on a predominantly dubstep label..

Could be really interesting, and it'll be interesting to see who else gets picked up onto this sub label. Hope it all kicks off, but i think it's not the strongest release to kick it off..

And yeah new Devo album is awesome!! March on is my fav atm =D

Guest bitroast

hanal2 is quite an upsetting inclusion... i hope i'm terribly wrong but lol really? rest of the album suits me just fine :):) posers and camera phones is sounding much better than the rough version posted on his facebook.

Hey, Shitmat is great. He's silly, but also his rhythm programming is genuinely good in a real rolling old-school style. He's got some awesome stuff.

Snares' stuff has never sounded like that to me, it's much more staccato and Snares-y. Different style.

It's unfair to use "Shitmat" as a synonym for "lazy and too silly", is what I'm saying

Hey, Shitmat is great. He's silly, but also his rhythm programming is genuinely good in a real rolling old-school style. He's got some awesome stuff.

Snares' stuff has never sounded like that to me, it's much more staccato and Snares-y. Different style.

It's unfair to use "Shitmat" as a synonym for "lazy and too silly", is what I'm saying

I think it's because almost every single Shitmat song utilizes way too much amen break for 4 minutes. Not to say I don't listen to his stuff, but a lot of it is incredibly cheesy and just straight up amen abuse, it requires a certain mood.

Guest Enter a new display name

I think it's because almost every single Shitmat song utilizes way too much amen break for 4 minutes. Not to say I don't listen to his stuff, but a lot of it is incredibly cheesy and just straight up amen abuse, it requires a certain mood.

Even Xyrofen dislikes Shitmat. Shouldn't it be an evidence that he is an unfamous producer?

Even Xyrofen dislikes Shitmat. Shouldn't it be an evidence that he is an unfamous producer?

I like a couple of his songs, but I often find a lot of it tedious. Very hit or miss for me, I don't remember much from "One Foot in the Rave" though, other than the artwork makes me chuckle. I wasn't aware my opinion, mattered either, haha.

Oh come on, fuck Shitmat. Some of his crap might be "hilarious," but so is Louis C.K. playing an accordion with his dick. I'm still not putting it on repeat.

Shitmat has done some great stuff stuff that's a bit removed from the breakcore most people might know him for, Grooverider had some top tunes on it!

More Fire (Ting '93) or whatever is cool.

really feel as though he was more creative during the wheelchair/meathole years. the programming on those albums I still find interesting at times.

nothing about this new one is very exciting IMO, the drums just seem to wash over without me noticing them, nothing stands out .

i'd love for him to ease up and try some drumfunk style or something

the chipmunk vocals in welfare wednesday did make me laugh though

As far as I've heard from this release (i.e. not much at all), I think I won't really like it. Maybe some tracks, but the overall makes me think it'll be more a Detrimentalist II than a new album. And I didn't like Detrimentalist. For me it's like a (Chocolate Wheelchair)/10. That's a shame because I loved Horsey Noises a lot and wondered if he will dig into this more "frontal" direction.

Next time, maybe

Guest lustfulgustav

That's a shame because I loved Horsey Noises a lot and wondered if he will dig into this more "frontal" direction.

I'd rather not see Aaron go full frontal.

Added to the webpage:

My So-Called Life" is the first release on my brand new record label Timesig. The majority of these tracks were made quite quickly, in a day or 2 each. These are the ones I feel closest to, I can listen to one of these 10 tracks and remember that day exactly, all that I was feeling, just where my head was at, whether it was a good memory, a laugh, something that was bugging me or something bumming me out. Listening brings me back to that day, whereas hearing some of my other albums brings me back to some period in my life in general. I was explaining to a friend the other day, it was more like a collection of short stories than a novel for me. Diary entries he said, and they really are, pockets of inspiration realized within a day. For me it is remote viewing my own memories with clearer and clearer mind binoculars. All important pieces in my puzzle, this kind of filing system I have that sits outside my cognitive filing yet is clear in this system. Of course all of this probably means nothing to you but you have to write something in these things so when you send out promos nobody has to think of anything thoughtful to say about it themselves. Usually I write a bunch of preposterous shit to poke fun at that whole process but I didn't feel like that today. Maybe tomorrow I will.

TIMESIG001

Added to the webpage:

My So-Called Life" is the first release on my brand new record label Timesig. The majority of these tracks were made quite quickly, in a day or 2 each. These are the ones I feel closest to, I can listen to one of these 10 tracks and remember that day exactly, all that I was feeling, just where my head was at, whether it was a good memory, a laugh, something that was bugging me or something bumming me out. Listening brings me back to that day, whereas hearing some of my other albums brings me back to some period in my life in general. I was explaining to a friend the other day, it was more like a collection of short stories than a novel for me. Diary entries he said, and they really are, pockets of inspiration realized within a day. For me it is remote viewing my own memories with clearer and clearer mind binoculars. All important pieces in my puzzle, this kind of filing system I have that sits outside my cognitive filing yet is clear in this system. Of course all of this probably means nothing to you but you have to write something in these things so when you send out promos nobody has to think of anything thoughtful to say about it themselves. Usually I write a bunch of preposterous shit to poke fun at that whole process but I didn't feel like that today. Maybe tomorrow I will.

TIMESIG001

But doesn't he write ALL of his tracks in a day or two each? He has about 30 albums...

I mean I like many of his tracks, but I thought a year without releasing an album would mean that his new album would be a bit more labored over, by his standards. Because I think we'd all like to hear what it would sound like if Aaron Funk meticulously crafted an epic album.

But doesn't he write ALL of his tracks in a day or two each? He has about 30 albums...

I mean I like many of his tracks, but I thought a year without releasing an album would mean that his new album would be a bit more labored over, by his standards. Because I think we'd all like to hear what it would sound like if Aaron Funk meticulously crafted an epic album.

Well, it can be a very time-consuming process, but it does come easily to me, so I don't notice the time at all while I'm at it," he says. "I love the process — I could be there perfecting 30 seconds of music for seven hours, but my perception of time almost comes to a standstill until I get the result I'm after. It's like an infinite moment, and I think the pace of my music lends itself to slowing down time in general — so many movements and sounds can happen in two seconds that it tricks the mind.

Maybe that (Source)? I really can't imagine Cavalcade, HCCBU, nor Winter in the Belly of a Snake being thrown together. I can definitely see it with this album and Detrimentalist, partially Chocolate Wheelchair.

Archived