IGNORED

"Move of ten" is out on bleep

it's true, first time i listened was on headphones while riding the bicycle which i thought was a good idea, when it actually wasn't. sounds better on the crappy boombox.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm loving the opening track, sounds like Autechre channeling Urban Tribe/Stingray but more fucked up, the build up to the end melody is very satisfying. The 3 tracks following are also quite nice, y7 being the least immediately compelling but still has a nice build up.

the ending track is quite dense and nice as far as sound design is concerned, they haven't done a track like this since Fol3, which in comparison this is much more cohesive.

Im not really hugely thrilled with the EP as a whole, a lot of it is using the same sound palette (those stabby almost FM like acid basslines) and while some of it does sound reminiscent of the playfulness of Quaristice/Quadrange, Moves of Ten is far too 'samey' in comparison, where quaristice was a series of different experiments with different results. This Ep does fit very well along with Oversteps, it's like the rhythmic cousin to it for better or worse. After listening to this twice all the way through i still can't help but wonder why they don't put out a digital only live show recording, i still like the Oversteps, Untilted and Quaristice live music better than this.

yep, 24bit y7

the acid is every bit as quality as traele

good tweeter+mid = just wonderful squelch !!!

the tasteful thickness of it

anybody else hearing the same drum beat from 'd-sho-qub' on 'nth Dafuseder.b' ? could be my imagination but it sounds like they are cutting it up and re-contextualizing it

(the track sounds like a nod to older zoviet france as well)

Yeah I noticed that too ( the d-sho-qub/nth Dafuseder.b loop comparison ). I think I preferred in in the former, mainly 'cos it sounded a lot more fun and playful.

i may be talking out of my ass here... but just a thought that flashed across my mind...

I feel like I appreciate ae more on a momentary, zoomed in level... the sound design, little flourishes in a drum beat, or melody... fucking brilliant... but the more I listen/look at the music on a more macro/zoomed out level... it loses it's brilliance... it starts to sound more haphazard. and that makes me sad. when i used to listen to ae, I would think "this is perfection" and now I feel like I am constantly finding things that don't settle well with me... things I would change, or feel are underdeveloped/not reaching their potential.

i feel like this is my problem with electronic music in general lately... i keep hearing what i want to be different, as opposed to embracing what works.

but all of that said... I still love ae, and their aesthetic

i may be talking out of my ass here... but just a thought that flashed across my mind...

I feel like I appreciate ae more on a momentary, zoomed in level... the sound design, little flourishes in a drum beat, or melody... fucking brilliant... but the more I listen/look at the music on a more macro/zoomed out level... it loses it's brilliance... it starts to sound more haphazard. and that makes me sad. when i used to listen to ae, I would think "this is perfection" and now I feel like I am constantly finding things that don't settle well with me... things I would change, or feel are underdeveloped/not reaching their potential.

i feel like this is my problem with electronic music in general lately... i keep hearing what i want to be different, as opposed to embracing what works.

but all of that said... I still love ae, and their aesthetic

i understand completely, i felt kind of this way about the new Oval album. YOu should give that a listen if you haven't already, almost the entire thing is done exclusively with physical modeling synthesis

Fucking brilliant!

I wish M26 would go on for 6 days, I'd listen to the whole goddamn thing.

I'm also hopping on the rew1 lovewagon. The subtleties are delicious.

i still can't help but wonder why they don't put out a digital only live show recording, i still like the Oversteps, Untilted and Quaristice live music better than this.

I've likewise listened to the album (ep?) twice now and I'm actually digging it quite a lot, but I can't disagree with that!

Guest Sprigg

Only halfway through, but I thought rew1 is only mediocre, it couldn't hold my interest for some reason. Favourite so far is definitely Iris was a pupil, I love the ambience here.

The album definitely hasn't been as immediately gripping as Oversteps for me, but it's a grower for sure.

Got to say that so far I don't dislike anything on this, but I fucking love nth Dafuseder.b, sounds unlike anything else I've ever heard from Ae.

n.b. Update on Obel's current sphincter dilation...?

Maaaan. This could very well be the greatest thing they have released in years. pce freeze 2.8i is delicious! Etchogon-S has a great stuttering beat, rew(1) is a strange way for Ae to go but it sounds great, tons of delicious noises all over the place. There are plenty more awesome tracks but I haven't really had a chance to sit down and have a serious listen yet.

The album definitely hasn't been as immediately gripping as Oversteps for me, but it's a grower for sure.

pretty much. it's a pleasant listen but i think it may take the vinyl release and some nice greens to truly appreciate it, hehe.

speaking of the vinyl release, this could have easily been released as a 1x12", would have been nice and concise. i guess they gotta earn their money somehow, zole.

I have been a fan of Autechre for I don't know, 12 years now, but I have always felt this way. I like the weird, glitchy, interesting aspect of their music and the little flourishes of brilliance that stand out, more than I actually enjoy listening to their albums. I think they've yet to put out my favorite album. One day they will put something out that's a bit more melodic without losing what makes them Autechre (ok I admit that's a bit of a contradiction), it'll be pure brilliance and I'll be ready to die.

Some of this is closer.

Archived