IGNORED

"Move of ten" is out on bleep

pce freeze 28i is far too monotonous for me, and the atmospherics/melodies that regularly burst in are ugly. I'm not really into the repetitive 4 to the floor aspect that permeates a few of the tracks, as that thing has never done anything for me and there's enough people doing it, but I must say y7 is beautiful. I like it much more than I did when I heard the preview, for some reason. A really beautiful little squelcher, full of atmosphere and presence.

Moments of this really do sound a bit pisstakey, though. A combination of the silly names and some of the cheesier sounds on here make me think they're making fun of themselves a little, which is fine I suppose. Even when I went through my stupid phase of disliking Oversteps (after initially loving it), I never found it to be pisstakey. I just didn't get it.

Nothing on here matches the compositional depth of Oversteps for me, even if it uses the same sound palette.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Won't let me edit this in)

Draft-era Autechre had a similarly dark and experimental edge to it to Move of Ten, but did it with more finesse and the music was more detailed. Oversteps may not be as obviously detailed as 2001-2005 Autechre, but it doesn't matter because it's a totally different beast - it's about counterpoint and composition, to me. Move Of Ten mostly lacks the beautiful counterpoint and harmonic and melodic ideas of Oversteps, but also lacks the immense detail that is present in Autechre albums from 2001 to 2005. Thus it fails to be as interesting to me as either direction.

it´s really weird, most of the tracks don´t make any sense while listened on a mp3-player with headphones.

I seriously have no idea what you mean by that ....

Haha, you are hopeless. See you in 2 months when it's your new favorite album :emotawesomepm9:

I for one am loving this, pce and rew are just amazing. pce bringing the real dread back into their tracks and rew is the funkiest thing they've done in ages. Hearing loads of influence from Oversteps in the later tracks but this really feels like a retrospective of their previous works, I'm hearing bits of influence from Tri Rep, Chiastic, LP5, EP7, Confield, and Quaristice. It's hard to pin down but they're using recognizable synths from previous tracks other than ones on Oversteps, sometimes only for a second or two. I wasn't expecting much based on the preview track but this is one of their stronger EPs. Can't tell if I like this or Oversteps better yet but they are great complementary releases.

I for one am loving this, pce and rew are just amazing. pce bringing the real dread back into their tracks and rew is the funkiest thing they've done in ages.

definitely

I for one am loving this, pce and rew are just amazing. pce bringing the real dread back into their tracks and rew is the funkiest thing they've done in ages.

definitely

agreed

Also, the main synth sound in the background of no border which carry's the track along reminds me of the music used on a certain level on Sonic. Perhaps someone can pick up on what I'm rambling on about.. between 1.35 and 1.38 you hear it very clearly almost by itself. no border is looking to be a definite favourite of mine.

Also, the main synth sound in the background of no border which carry's the track along reminds me of the music used on a certain level on Sonic. Perhaps someone can pick up on what I'm rambling on about.. between 1.35 and 1.38 you hear it very clearly almost by itself. no border is looking to be a definite favourite of mine.

^you're probably hearing the fm synthesis that they are totally back into using these days (and of course sega consoles used a cheap fm synthesis chip for the music). i definitely prefer the synth work on this ep to that of oversteps.. including the ambient tracks.

Guest CurlyAngryman

Iv'e listened to Move of Ten twice now.

Holy shit, that was good. Here's a track-by-track review:

Etchogon-S - I really dug the heavy, wobbly beat. I also really enjoyed how the melody started from the lowest end and grew to simply beautiful heights. Fuck yeah.

y7 - I was a bit skeptic the first time I heard the four-on-da-floor beats and the growling bass. Now, I can hear the subtle bass melodies that drive the track. There's also that really eerie, reverbed melody to soak in. Sweet.

pce freeze 2.8i - That beat gave me an eargasm. Nice atmosphere, really sinister. I'm really loving the electro-babble near tthe end.

rew(1) - My favorite track on this by far. Wow. The rhythm is just a simply delicious look back on Autechre's roots. And don't get me started on the absolutely flawless atmosphere.

nth Dafuseder.b - The droning ambience is superb, and the instantly recognized beat (do I really need to reference the track name?) really fits in. And fuck y'all flute haters, that melody was really tight.

iris is a pupil - The first pure ambient track. The melody is really surreal. It forces my brain to bounce around in my head.

no border - The second track that I can recognize the origins from. This is obviously a rework of Os veix3. The rhythmic blasts make me think of malfunctioning retro-rockets.

M62 - Again, fuck y'all haters. This is fucking terrific. The bassline, the beat, the ambience....

ylm0 - My least favorite track on this. It's pretty, but nothing different from the familiar ambient tracks off of Oversteps.

Cep puiqMX - The ambience in here is terrific. Loving the atmosphere and the extra crunchy rhythm. Great closer to an overall great release.

Overall, I'd rate it a nine out of ten. Really superbs.

Guest victorian sewer rituals

You're out of your mind if you don't like this release.

It is hypnotic in the extreme.

pce freeze 28i is like being seduced by medusa in a steamy back alley in blade runner. And it absolutely doesn't go on too long, its super-duper psychedelic to the max.

No one else can perform that subtle/seething background-movement like ae. And it's all over the place on move of ten :emotawesomepm9:

On further listens nth is welcomed to my all time favourite AE tracks, it's amazing but its main flaw being about twenty minutes too short.

M62 is nice too, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Sounds like Basic Channel doing a Sonic soundtrack..

Guest VgqepetrahLcwg swr6

Why do people not like M62? It's definitely better than most of Oversteps.

Apart from that, I like:

Etchogon-S (FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, YES, YES, YES!)

y7

pce freeze 2.8i

rew(1)

nth Dafuseder.b

iris was a pupil

no border

M62

ylm0

Cep puiqMX

Oh.. He.. Would you look at that? .. I LOVE THIS RELEASE!

Guest Retrig

Loving this from beginning to end. Really good stuff. I especially like the use of stereo space (forgive my noob audio vocabulary). Sit yourself at the right distance between your nice speakers and enjoy the really wide field of sounds. Joy.

I gotta say... Cep puiqMX is my definate favorite so far. really can't get enough of those sounds!! I haven't been so excited about an ae track in awhile!

other favs: Etchogon-S, pce freeze 2.8i, nth Dafuseder.b & M62. Haven't really 'gotten' rew(1) yet

Guest ConfieldMilkman

Loving rew the most, probably the most accessible track on the album. Still waiting for most of the other tracks to morph into something I like through relentless listening, as they usually do with Autechre.

it´s really weird, most of the tracks don´t make any sense while listened on a mp3-player with headphones.

I seriously have no idea what you mean by that ....

lol

really loved it at first, though i'm already tiring of it. not the most exciting release, but still pretty nice.

really loved it at first, though i'm already tiring of it. not the most exciting release, but still pretty nice.

lol it's been out for a little over 24 hours. how many times are people gonna play this in a week?!

no wonder some of you are tiring of it already.

Guest Kenneth172

OMG that's the funky shit! rew(1) - :wub: so goooooodalso feeling: Etchogon - :wub: nth dachshund - (flutey!?) :wub: the more blatant overstepsy ones, well I am still on the fence about some of the source tracks, so gonna be a bit of a slow grower for me. But I don't mind, tis an EPs not an LP and they are sufficiently different that they are just reminiscent rather than remixey/edits to me. which is fuckin cool really.how weird is it that there are 3 totally repetitious beats on here, 2 of which are just 4 to tha floor kick drums w/ no hats/snares? funnily I really really like y7 (so tasty at the end) and M62 - there's plenty goin on and I find them sonically appealing.only trk I did not enjoy so fars is pce freeze - that repetitious beat sounds good at first but pushes on too long and the same unappealing melody pattern but cycling through the various synths is just a bit grating for me - some of the synths are tasty but only last 1 pattern. Nice use of voices at the end tho.RESULT: EPx2 YOU HAV WINNER, thatnks AE

Agree about the repetition. Given Autechre's "no repetitive beats" ethos (circa Flutter) seems they are breaking that rule. :trashbear: Also agree that some of the melodies seems to grate and go on for too long with little variation.

I think we are all over-analysing the album though. But then, this is WATMM............... :facepalm:

I think this is once again the best direction Ae could have taken this album in. They poured out some cichli suite (read: sickly sweet) melodies on Oversteps to quench our as-of-late thirsty appetites for mood and tune. This time around, they knew there were alot of us craving some really heavy beats and they delivered wholeheartedly. While it isn't a full-on onslaught of the senses, it does have it's moments that will certainly satisfy any need for classic Ae beat fuckery. Move of Ten and Oversteps have both more or less satisfied the general opinions of how their discography should evolve, while still throwing a crazy twist on it and surprising everyone. A lot of the track titles reference sight or vision in some way or another. The cover to oversteps could be seen as a pupil, and then you have ilanders, see on see, krYlon, iris was a pupil, all of these tracks referencing sight almost seem to indicate that they see watmm. Dunno maybe that's a stretch though...

also:

shit. i'm loving this more than i expected. until now i always thought their albums were where it's at, and the eps as nice additions.

i think i'll be listening to this more than oversteps. not necessarily because it's "better" it's just... easier on the ear (more linear). oversteps, beautiful as it is, demands alot of attention imho and i just blasted this shit over headphones during a 6 hour civ 4 session again and again and it was perfect, even the nth time. this might sound superficial but "good background music" for me isn't an euphemism at all. and damn is it full of "juicy" sounds, mmmh. also, despite the rather fixed frames/ straight beats there are tons of singular events surrounding them to turn your attention to.

also, etcho is pure aural ass rape. painful, but secretly i kinda wanted it too, didn't i :emb:

Best review ever :emotawesomepm9:

Archived