IGNORED

Jenkinson discusses recording d'Demonstrator

Guest Lucy Faringold

while it's cool that he's namedropping and termdropping, some of it is a bit obvious. like the following

All elements were recorded to my trusty multitrack tape player, a Tascam MSR16. Then the track was mixed through my Euphonix CS3000 console. Automation on mix down was achieved by hooking up various mix parameters via 14bit midi controller messages to the QY700, which was locked via MTC to the tape.

really? because i'm pretty sure you can synchronise MIDI equipment and tape via the amount of times an argument kicks off between a softsynth enthusiast and a hardware enthusiast.

also, the following is the best quote from that article

The two track master was recorded digitally using the A/D converters of a Neve 1073DPD running at 96khz

lol

Guest David R James

Much respect to tom. What i think is wicked about this is that although mystery and intrigue cause hype and can be interesting in itself, doing stuff like this is just as bloody good and i don't think any less of him for it.

while it's cool that he's namedropping and termdropping, some of it is a bit obvious. like the following

All elements were recorded to my trusty multitrack tape player, a Tascam MSR16. Then the track was mixed through my Euphonix CS3000 console. Automation on mix down was achieved by hooking up various mix parameters via 14bit midi controller messages to the QY700, which was locked via MTC to the tape.

really? because i'm pretty sure you can synchronise MIDI equipment and tape via the amount of times an argument kicks off between a softsynth enthusiast and a hardware enthusiast.

The two track master was recorded digitally using the A/D converters of a Neve 1073DPD running at 96khz

lol

elitism.jpg

lol

elitism.jpg

elitism.jpg

lol

elitism.jpg

elitism.jpg

inspiration_watmm.jpg

Guest thepilot
In the final mix down, the 909 bass drum and snare subtly compress pretty much every instrument.

Thus we have solved the mystery of teh ed banger interest.

lol

elitism.jpg

elitism.jpg

inspiration_watmm.jpg

brilliant

:sorcerer:

As is the case for most of the songs, we had his drum kit rigged up to trigger a Roland TR909

I KNEW IT !

Very interesting read, I still convinced he recorded it with a band.

Guest thepilot

I thought that the point of the article was to obfuscate the process through the use of extreme verbal saturation. I mean I'm sure all those 'tech' words would make any Jonny Mp3 say "whoa". But really, any skilled writer could use overt loquaciousness to complicate the simplest task. I mean does d'Demonstrator make one want to defenestrate one's person, or jump out a window, right?

Wow, he really knows his stuff, had no idea it took that much work to make Cryptic Motion.

You don't have much time "in studio", do you?

Replace "much" with "none" and you got it. I don't make music in any form but I'm interested in the process.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I thought that the point of the article was to obfuscate the process through the use of extreme verbal saturation. I mean I'm sure all those 'tech' words would make any Jonny Mp3 say "whoa". But really, any skilled writer could use overt loquaciousness to complicate the simplest task. I mean does d'Demonstrator make one want to defenestrate one's person, or jump out a window, right?

It may sound complicated to the layman but if you analyse it he's actually being very clear and to the point as to how he went about laying down the sounds. The terminology will be baffling to non-musos but the language itself is straightforward and concise. There's no obfuscation at play - quite the opposite in fact.

Guest David R James

It may sound complicated to the layman but if you analyse it he's actually being very clear and to the point as to how he went about laying down the sounds. The terminology will be baffling to non-musos but the language itself is straightforward and concise. There's no obfuscation at play - quite the opposite in fact.

Yeah, and any 'jonny mp3' who is a fan of squarepusher and heard or read an interview by him will know he is always like this. where from my point of view, there is no hidden agenda but to maybe perhaps sound like he knows what he is going on about, which he clearly does.

i don't understand everything there but that's cool that he is that candid about the process.

also, didn't we not know for awhile if he owned an eventide? now we know...

i don't understand everything there but that's cool that he is that candid about the process.

also, didn't we not know for awhile if he owned an eventide? now we know...

yes, since go plastic

exactly

Guest Scrambled Ears

pretty nice considering that cryptic motion is the tune of the album... still the writing kind of reeks of im such a genius and studio wiz

Replace "much" with "none" and you got it. I don't make music in any form but I'm interested in the process.

The mind boggles.

Archived