IGNORED

MICE

Guest hahathhat

50 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Handle The Mouse?

• Trap And Release
    • Trap, Harass, And Release (get it high, spook it with vsnares)
    • Trap And Kill
    • Mousetraps
    • Poison
    • They Are My Friends And I Will Leave Out Food

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hahathhat

5299756062_19257c69ab_b.jpg

drunk mouse. squirted a little seagrams 7 on his back; he licked it off, got tanked. you could've sharpied his face, that's where he was. and he let me pick him up!! normally he'd never.

we have kept three mice as pets: stan, charles, and harrison ford. that is charles. i've continued to live capture them, but i kill them now. we don't need more than 3 mouse pets. put them in a bin and shakeshake and they get brained. takes a couple seconds i don't feel guilty at all

Edited by hahathhat

i had a huge mouse problem in a house i lived in a couple of years ago. i found the best solution was to stop living with untidy, amotivated potheads who left food and dishes out for weeks until they started to rot.

i've seen pictures of your kitchen, hat. you're to blame!

Get them in my office. Ppl leaving food out and stuff, heh. Glue or snap traps are the best. They die right there, easy to find and clean up. Had one mouse rip his gut open on a glue trap, that was nasty. Poison sucks because one could be dead for weeks in some corner and you never know.

Guest Franklin

rather than kill the mice you can always use this situation to try some experiments. Why not leave a tiny notepad and pencil lying around, or a miniature pair of mma gloves or a tiny rubix cube? These are the experiments that the average person in a lab is simply to afraid to try. You dont need the approval of your colleagues here, it's just you and the mice.

rambo is my most fav watmmer for like the last year.

Guest hahathhat

i had a huge mouse problem in a house i lived in a couple of years ago. i found the best solution was to stop living with untidy, amotivated potheads who left food and dishes out for weeks until they started to rot.

i've seen pictures of your kitchen, hat. you're to blame!

perhaps, but we've never had any mice until we moved to this place! we were far worse about cleaning stuff at the old place ('cos it was a shithole) and never got mice there. and the neighbors would leave garbage outside too.... a mouse skull fell out of the heating duct pipes and onto my dryer!! just the skull. i think i still have it somewhere. that was the closest it came to mice at the other place.

the new place is a drafty house with an attached garage in a wooded area.

if only solving the mouse problem were as simple as cleaning dishes a day or two sooner!

• 10 years later...

Rural Northwest Victoria and southwest Queensland currently having a mouse plague. Multiple people have been treated for bites at hospital and the mice are cannibalising each other as well. Underrated thing that doesn't get talked about much by scaredy cat Americans (probably due to being introduced species, not wildlife). Apparently Australia and China are the only countries where these plagues are known to frequently occur. There seems to be a mouse plague somewhere in Australia every few years. One in 1993 caused $96 million damage. Damaging crops, livestock, vehicles, machinery, insulation, infrastructure.

Top 30 Mouse Plague GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Imagine George Miller doing a Mad Max: Mouse Plague movie ?

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Roo said:

Rural Northwest Victoria and southwest Queensland currently having a mouse plague. Multiple people have been treated for bites at hospital and the mice are cannibalising each other as well. Underrated thing that doesn't get talked about much by scaredy cat Americans (probably due to being introduced species, not wildlife). Apparently Australia and China are the only countries where these plagues are known to frequently occur. There seems to be a mouse plague somewhere in Australia every few years. One in 1993 caused $96 million damage. Damaging crops, livestock, vehicles, machinery, insulation, infrastructure.

Top 30 Mouse Plague GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Imagine George Miller doing a Mad Max: Mouse Plague movie ?

Insanity. Imagine being a mouse inside a mouse plague

Pretty good bump :ok:

Have had mice on and off in the house, spring traps always work for me.  If they don't work for you, you're not setting them properly.  Got a small dog few years back, terrier mix, apparently they're bred for hunting mice and other vermin. She hasn't killed any but the mice must smell her because my traps have been empty for years.

Had a squirrel in the attic once. Those fuckers are 100x more destructive and determined than any mouse.  This asshole made a nest in the attic above my garage and chewed though the drywall ceiling.  Plugged its entry point, so then it started chewing at the outside of the roof to get back in.  Apparently, once they build a nest they'll kill themselves trying to get back to it.

5 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Get a cat.

This is the only thing that works.

I don't have a cat anymore but I'm on the third floor of a house that has a LONG history of mouse problems, but I benefit enough from their cats that I can put out a couple bait stations and in two weeks the mice will be gone and it will be at least a year before they're back.  I'm semi grubby (more or less clean but cluttered), my downstairs neighbors are really grubby and out landlord on the first floor is pretty grubby too, but with cats it doesn't matter.

I went almost two years without a single mouse until they remodeled a house next door and all their mice got chased out and moved in to our place.

Also put a lid on your trash bin if you don't have one already.

Also a competent cat (remember, cats don't instinctively know how to kill their prey well, they're taught, so the best cat is one that was born feral) is the least cruel way to kill a mouse.  Live-catch traps are probably the most cruel because the mice tend to die slowly of fright over hours while they're trapped inside, or yo get more than one mouse in the trap and they ill each other.  Plus they don't work because mice are one of those animals that can geolocate, so you need to release them 3-5 miles from where you catch them or they'll find their way home. If you talk to actual pest control professionals (and that's the BEST way to deal with mice - hire someone, shadow them the whole time and learn their techniques, and then just get the supplies cheap on eBay from a shady seller in San Diego and do it yourself), the actual purpose of live-catch traps is that you can catch a LOT of mice in one trap and then drop the whole thing in a bucket of water and drown them. There are even fancy live-catch traps with an attachment that makes the mice run down a tube and drown themselves so you don't even have to bother about doing that - it's all about low effort.   They aren't "humane" or whatever, so forget about it.  The only humane way to get rid of mice is a good quality cat. The next best is poison. All forms of trap are less effective, more work AND needlessly cruel so regardless of whether or not you care about being friendly to the mice while you're killing them traps aren't a good choice.

CAT

Angry-possum-in-flower-pot.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, randomsummer said:

Had a squirrel in the attic once. Those fuckers are 100x more destructive and determined than any mouse.  This asshole made a nest in the attic above my garage and chewed though the drywall ceiling.  Plugged its entry point, so then it started chewing at the outside of the roof to get back in.  Apparently, once they build a nest they'll kill themselves trying to get back to it.

Yes. This is especially bad if there are any electrical cables or plastic water pipes in the attic. Given enough time, the squirrels are guaranteed to chew them into pieces, causing either a fire or a flood

The thing that’s scary about having mice, if you have pets, is that the mouse could eat poison somewhere and your pet could eat the mouse and be affected. This can be a real serious problem, regardless of your views on killing the mice. I would say getting a cat is the best option, glue traps are bad because they sit there for up to a day dying slowly- seems too brutal. If your going to use traps, just use the old-school wood traps.

5 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

snakes eat both mice & bunnies !

Snakes are actually a good alternative to cats.  But you need to make sure it won't get into somewhere that could either endanger the snake or your property.  They really like exploring dark crannies.

(I have brought wild snakes into my living space and they're pretty good companions.  I might have kept them around if I didn't have a cat already.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1