IGNORED

Wolfgang Voigt / Gas

Guest carthief

Rückverzauberung 4 is gorgeous.

I'm disappointed no one responded to this, has anyone heard it? It's a full disc that came out with kafkatrax. I think it's the best thing he's done since GAS.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed no one responded to this, has anyone heard it? It's a full disc that came out with kafkatrax. I think it's the best thing he's done since GAS.

I missed out on it when it was new, and managed to get a copy from the private stash of Mr. Voigt himself, thanks to some very generous people at Kompakt at the time. Amazing record, hopefully it gets a reissue or even a digital release so more people can enjoy it.

I've only listened to Rückverzauberung 4 a few times (a slsk records edition, as if I could afford a physical copy on the aftermarket) though have yet to be fully captivated by it. IIRC it seems to float back and forth between Gas-like ether and his more concrete leanings, including that detuned german piano stuff which can be tough to swallow at times. I'll give it a few more spins on the ol' hard disk though with open ears, cuz hey its Wolfgang Motherfucking Voigt now innit.

• 5 weeks later...

I only have Kafkatrax itself, I'll check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am surprised at the absence of critical opinions on Wolfgang. I was a big fan of his production of mid-to-late 90s, then he took control of emerging Kompakt label and quickly burned as a producer. That Kompakt was really a technopop consortium, a sort of what was electroclash for electro, la dolce vita days. If i'm not mistaken he returned to releasing after almost a decade of hiatus. Gas was immediately overhyped and pompously re-released, and Wolfgang began to build on that reputation, thinking he still have that minimalist touch he was known for. Aged master at marketing of techno who's doing "art" like in the old days (when it was fresh and thus considered arty afterwards), hence Klavier and Kafka in titles. No offense to current fans, but fuck him.

I am surprised at the absence of critical opinions on Wolfgang. I was a big fan of his production of mid-to-late 90s, then he took control of emerging Kompakt label and quickly burned as a producer. That Kompakt was really a technopop consortium, a sort of what was electroclash for electro, la dolce vita days. If i'm not mistaken he returned to releasing after almost a decade of hiatus. Gas was immediately overhyped and pompously re-released, and Wolfgang began to build on that reputation, thinking he still have that minimalist touch he was known for. Aged master at marketing of techno who's doing "art" like in the old days (when it was fresh and thus considered arty afterwards), hence Klavier and Kafka in titles. No offense to current fans, but fuck him.

That escalated quickly

I've been wondering what your brain tastes like

I understand the points from Amen Lare- for me, Kompakt and especially W. Voigt seem to be more fashion producers nowadays while leaving their original spirit left behind.

It may be hard to understand what is 'arty' about Klavier (piano) and Kafka if you are not located in Germany. Piano music is here somewhat linked with an academic touch and the more intelligent 'avantgarde', while Kafka is a well-known german writer. Therefore he refers to several more art-related points then before in his career.

To be honest, most of his minimal stuff sounds rather dull and boring- those mentioned pianoworks sounds like being scrambled together with a midifile and some phasing bassdrums on a shifted loop.

That fate has also reached, on a sidenote, Carsten Nicolai alias Alva Noto. Since I got aware of his strange way to treat video artists working for him I cannot take him serious anymore.

I clearly understand what Amen Lare said- there is a change and gap between the 'old' Kompakt days and the recent one.

I understand the points from Amen Lare- for me, Kompakt and especially W. Voigt seem to be more fashion producers nowadays while leaving their original spirit left behind.

It may be hard to understand what is 'arty' about Klavier (piano) and Kafka if you are not located in Germany. Piano music is here somewhat linked with an academic touch and the more intelligent 'avantgarde', while Kafka is a well-known german writer. Therefore he refers to several more art-related points then before in his career.

To be honest, most of his minimal stuff sounds rather dull and boring- those mentioned pianoworks sounds like being scrambled together with a midifile and some phasing bassdrums on a shifted loop.

That fate has also reached, on a sidenote, Carsten Nicolai alias Alva Noto. Since I got aware of his strange way to treat video artists working for him I cannot take him serious anymore.

I clearly understand what Amen Lare said- there is a change and gap between the 'old' Kompakt days and the recent one.

I completely agree with both posts, well-said.

Can you elaborate on this?

A few years ago I worked for him as a video tech in a live setting for a project he was doing with Richie Hawtin, Matthew Dear and some others and he was an incredibly unpleasant person to work with.

Would love to hear some more gossip ;-)

A very well known video artist from Germany, Karl Kliem has created some musicvideos for Carsten, mainly abstract stuff, coordinated to the sound exactly (hence a very light version of Gantz Graf).

Karl was also touring with Carsten/Ryuichi on the Insen tour and he created the whole visual design for the show. Carsten was asked who was responsible for the design in an interview afterwards the concerts, and he replied with: "it's all my design!".

Second, they forgot to mention Karl on the flyers which is a real fauxpas. Come on, the guy did everything under the time pressure he had and no mentioning? Karl had to ask about that, then they made new ones. ahhhh yeah.

Third, while Carsten and Ryuichi had a nice flight business 1st class, Karl got a normal ticket…

Another thing: Carsten asked Karl to remove the audio from the videos or take the videos from his page down. Imagine an visual working artist getting a note about removing parts of his repertoire!

Another nice story: The Max/MSP-patch for the touring and the music is not Carstens work. He hired someone to make him a patch for his music. Well, that at least is nothing to complain about, but I ask myself if he does something alone? He his a highly decorated musician, so I wonder if he can do anything without his people around?

The above Karl Kliem related stories could be read on his blog where he talked extensively about the touring.

Let's face it:

http://www.em411.com/show/blog/4630/1

That is the reason why I don't listen to Alva Noto anymore and don't support his label excerpt for some few artists outside his circle (AtomTM etc).

Can you elaborate on this?

A few years ago I worked for him as a video tech in a live setting for a project he was doing with Richie Hawtin, Matthew Dear and some others and he was an incredibly unpleasant person to work with.

Would love to hear some more gossip ;-)

See my post above now ^

What was your impression/problems you encountered with him?

• 2 months later...

Just discovered Life's a Gas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJTz5OE3h0c

this is one of those contemplative masterpieces like his GAS stuff, Oval's Do While, Global communication's aspirin remix, that one burzum track....shit.

his best work

I dunno, I think a lot of things are getting mixed up together here.

That sucks about Alva Noto and those dudes. I find his recorded music amazing still. Even the Ci album blows me away. Everything on r-n really. Rough to hear that he's a douche.

I kind of think it is cool that Kompakt became "commercial" in some way. It certainly seems like that was intentional on WV's part and was at least about democratization and reaching a wider audience as it was about *the cash* or whatever. Kompakt has its own more mainstream aesthetic but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing?

And I personally find WV's recent work really inspiring and absolutely believe that he IS an artist. There's a high-concept to Gas as well, although because it is also very pleasant ambient music you don't hear as much about it.

AFAIK, Gas was re-released because Force Inc. was defunct and the old albums were impossible to get anymore. Right? I don't think that's self-aggrandizement, it's just making the music that people want available to them.

And I guess I don't see why simply sampling Kafka is really a big pretentious statement or anything. That album is a techno album, although it is slightly impenetrable in WV's more recent 21st-century style. So... who cares?

I've really enjoyed the WV interviews I've watched and read and I think his insights on art and music are legit and interesting. It's pretty clear to me that it's very important to him to keep moving forward, keep trying things, etc. Hence the bunch of "automatic" paintings and the obtuse, jammy, "sloppy" style of his recent tracks, etc. And I totally get that out of his recent music.