IGNORED

Metal Appreciation Thread!

Guest Al5x

I've listened to it a few times now and while the drum sound in particular is hard to get used to I think I can come around to the album eventually. there are some decidedly non-PD sounding tracks on this one.

I've listened to it a few times now and while the drum sound in particular is hard to get used to I think I can come around to the album eventually. there are some decidedly non-PD sounding tracks on this one.

Gave it a full listen just for the fuck of it and i think actually like i better than their grindy stuff overall haha (not enough to win me over as a fan but still...). The beginning of the last track is somehow very reminiscent of the intro to "Blackened" to me, pretty cool! :)

I really need to give Voivod more time. Do I just get everything? Have I asked this question before in this thread? Maybe I'll start from the latest album and go backwards?

I'd start with the golden era - Killing Technology through The Outer Limits (five albums), then the recent return-to-form period (last two albums plus the EP from 2016). Then go for the first two if you love 80s thrash and the 2000s albums if you like their straighter, rockier side. I'd skip the two late 90s albums, too much groove metal dilution.

I'd start with the golden era - Killing Technology through The Outer Limits (five albums), then the recent return-to-form period (last two albums plus the EP from 2016). Then go for the first two if you love 80s thrash and the 2000s albums if you like their straighter, rockier side. I'd skip the two late 90s albums, too much groove metal dilution.

Yeah, definitely start with either Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss or Nothingface depending on what you're looking for: the thrash-proggier side of the spectrum (KT) or the more plain-weird-proggy side (NF). DH sits comfortably in between. Then from there work your way through accordingly (back to War and Pain and Röär if you feel like you need even more VV-thrash sans the progginess OR up through Angel Rat to Outer Limits, if you're getting more hooked on their rockier side).

Then there's a break in their discography, new dude taking over bass and vokills simultaneously. The "Eric" Era is somewhat disputed among fans but i'd at least recommend Phobos. It's VV going groove metal, yeah (it WAS the 90s after all) but Phobos got some electronic experimentation on top as well as a pretty sick and vile athompshere which makes it really worthwhile in my book.

The early 2000s stuff band got back together with old vocalist and Jason Newsted of Metallica fame on bass. Those 3 albums are listenable (personally i like Infini the most, it features the last Piggy (guitarist) tunes before he passed away) but... yeah. Nothing special really. Very straight sing a long rock music with just a touch of VV discordant magic. I kinda dig em, but i guess those should be the last to be checked out.

Then comes the actual, "Post-Piggy" era. It's mostly defined by the new guitar dude paying tribute to the "golden era" stuff, but i like it most when he just does his thing and adds psychedelic twists n shit formerly unheared of. The new album is really, REALLY good and it shows they're feeling more and more comfortable with the new lineup. It's better than Target Earth and Post Society at the very least. While "back to form" rings true (especially regarding actual "form") i'd go through the "true" VV stuff first so you're getting a perspective.

Blah blah...

Bottom line: DIMENSION HATRÖSS!!

Bottom line: DIMENSION HATRÖSS!!

Genau.

:D

Man, the Wake really is something. End of Dormancy, Spherical Perspective (the beginning in particular) and the behemoth that is Sonic Mycelium (only wish it wouldn't fade out where it does, feels kinda lika an unfulfilled build-up... next album maybe? :O)... Yeah it probably is the best material since Outer Limits. Wowy. Orb Confusion is a bit lol, but in a good way!

And those solos...

<3

Dat riff in Sonic Mycelium holding the riffs from other songs together (first heard ~0:56):

FUK!

I think Iconspiracy is my least fav atm, still proper good tho. Dunno about the Tim Burton strings... tad cringey... might grow eventually.

Ayyy this is out soon

giving it a full listen now, I'm enjoying the melodic vocals, did they have those before? I can't remember.

In other news, the past couple of days I've been appreciating just how nuts most of Cannibal Corpse's riffs are. How do they even remember, let alone write, that stuff? Like the main riff in this:

I love the middle section of this track, where the guitars start with that tapping riff, and then the bass joins in.. and then the solos, fuck