I enjoyed the movie a lot because when it comes to most things (art, films, music, etc.) I'm more looking at the overall atmosphere than the actual details. And for all its problems in the pacing & script department, Prometheus had atmosphere by the arseload

I enjoyed the movie a lot because when it comes to most things (art, films, music, etc.) I'm more looking at the overall atmosphere than the actual details. And for all its problems in the pacing & script department, Prometheus had atmosphere by the arseload

Definitely. I especially enjoy movies that "transport" you into a realistic setting. I mean, with all the technology we have these days, I imagine someone could make an absolutely astounding and realistic "journey into space" film... 3D, full technology usage... it could be amazing.

As of right now I think this is the closest thing we have to that. Imagine the "space tunnel" scene in 2001 in 3D. Some of those graphics with the Space Jockey technology were pretty close to that. I need to see this again 3D IMAX before it leaves theaters... that's a once in a lifetime experience. Haha.

Every film has plot holes. They are called edits.

Wait, what ?! :blink:

I was only half serious and half fucking joking! Edits provide holes everywhere throughout an entire film, defying time constantly, defying reality. Take it easy mod! :wink:

Guest Mirezzi

I was only half serious and half fucking joking! Edits provide holes everywhere throughout an entire film, defying time constantly, defying reality. Take it easy mod! :wink:

I knew what you meant, Cody. Tension and release, the 'unreliable narrator', withholding information; all of the classic tools of effective storytelling are built around holes in our perception of narrative events.

i don't see how you could have a successful atmosphere with such god awful dialogue and characters you do not give a shit about. I cared more about the characters in Alien Resurrection dying than i did in Prometheus .

http://redlettermedi...bag-prometheus/

Edited by Awepittance

I knew what you meant, Cody. Tension and release, the 'unreliable narrator', withholding information; all of the classic tools of effective storytelling are built around holes in our perception of narrative events.

thanks Benji, I figured most people would get the joke.

i don't see how you could have a successful atmosphere with such god awful dialogue and characters you do not give a shit about.

http://redlettermedi...bag-prometheus/

I haven't read that article yet but I think as far as the film goes, it depends on if you are more of detail oriented person or a bigger picture viewer of art. I feel like you are more of a detail type guy Robbie. The potential ideas within the film and a potential sequel, an extended Lovecraftian-like mythos gives me excitement in my mind.

and what the fuck is this????

Anyone catch kevin smiths spoilers on hulu? Picking up some funny points about the movie.

Also damon lindelof was a guest on it, pretty much saying the first draft was a full blown alien prequel, eggs face huggers the works until he got his hands on it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/369061 (Wont work outside the US)

edit: Tiny text

Edited by blackdust

Guest Mirezzi

Also damon lindelof was a guest on it, pretty much saying the first draft was a full blown alien prequel, eggs face huggers the works until he got his hands on it.

Lindelof's involvement really pushed this project into Web 3.0 terrain. We're all so lucky to have writers of that caliber in our midst.

I think he should just start writing his scripts with Twitter rather than for it: 160 characters of recursive new age whimsy at a time.

the best bit in Alien Resurrection is when Ron Pearlman says,

"Earth: what a shithole."

I'd say that the best bit is in the special edition, where one of the scientists mentions that Weyland-Yutani was bought out by Walmart.

fXQLt.png

I do kinda hope Prometheus does well. The screenplay is a hot mess, but if this shit flops, it's gonna be a long time before we see a "hard" sci-fi big budget, r-rated film of this caliber again, especially from Fox. For all it's many flaws, you can never fault it for lacking ambition or big ideas, and I like to see that kind and scale of filmmaking continue into the near future.

Just don't get the guy from Lost to write it.

edit: seems it will easily be profitable:

Production budget: 125 million

Ww box office 145 by now

Edited by compson

one of the scientists mentions that Weyland-Yutani was bought out by Walmart.

lol

Dr. Gediman: In the... In the Company?

Dr. Wren: Weyland-Yutani, Ripley's former employer. Terran growth conglomerate. They had defense contracts with the military. Oh they went under decades ago Gediman, way before your time. Bought out by Walmart. Fortunes of war.

Guest Mirezzi

Also scott said to aint it cool that there will be a directors cut on bluray

Nuff said. I learned my lesson with Kingdom of Heaven. Gonna wait for bluray then!

this is the best 3D i have experienced thus far.

Worth seeing in IMAX, if you have the time, money and want to do it Mirezzi.

Otherwise I am waiting for the Blu-ray as well.

I never even noticed the 3D to be honest, don't know if that's a good thing because it was just there to add depth or what, but i cant say there was a scene where i was like "woah did you see that 3d!!??"

the Engineer ship control room, when David starts up the holographic playback, didn't look bad ass in 3D to you?

One of the most idm things I have ever experienced on film.

Truly idm as fuk!!!!

A lot of people in this thread are so angry .. its just a fucking movie.

I enjoyed the fuck out of Prometheus, yeah it has its flaws but most movies (if not all movies) has flaws. Stop being so fastidious.

FUCK YEAH EXTREME ABORTION

HA HA

MY FAVORITE TWO POSTS IN THIS THREAD

maybe I'll go see it now

I never even noticed the 3D to be honest, don't know if that's a good thing because it was just there to add depth or what, but i cant say there was a scene where i was like "woah did you see that 3d!!??"

good.

I thought the abortion scene was intense, and the most ALIEN like moment of the film, on the whole. But...

Did anyone else find it weird when the machine opened her up and said "FOREIGN BODY EXTRACTION INITIATED" and then a pizza parlor toy grabbing claw machine claw came down to take out the alien? I lol'd. Got stared at by neckbeards.