IGNORED

James Blake is the new Phil Collins

beerwolf

Guest Coalbucket PI
cold, clickety stuff with lots of space

Can't get enough of it.

Basically this. it's when he forgoes the clickety stuff and replaces it with even more space that it becomes just a lot of empty space with a goldmsmiths kid floating in it helplessly

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a lot of empty space with a goldmsmiths kid floating in it helplessly

you get that a lot if you take ketamine in New Cross

Guest Coalbucket PI

just a lot of empty space with a goldmsmiths kid floating in it helplessly

you get that a lot if you take ketamine in New Cross

Lol! this virtually happened to me last weekend

Guest Enter a new display name

At this rate, even average people I know IRL will hear of James Blake, which would be a bad sign.

damn, i was expecting more bile when i saw kakapo posted

anyway if it's the case, hello mr. blake, please keep making music that is lovely and defies genres.

fuck the haters etc.

You do all realise he has an account on watmm. Not a prolific poster (<500 posts) but he is active...

That's awesome :)

I've only heard 'Wilhelms Scream' off the new album but thought it had a very simple and catchy melody and that the effects were used in a tastefully moderate way. And I think the Phil Collins comparison is apt -- it's got that 'white guy in a dark room' mood I love so much.

Plus, he's a total hottie.

You do all realise he has an account on watmm. Not a prolific poster (<500 posts) but he is active...

So? All power to him, Im just saying that his album disappointed me next to his great EPs.

Guest ruiagnelo

anyway if it's the case, hello mr. blake, please keep making music that is lovely and defies genres.

fuck the haters etc.

indeed.

the man is a great musician.

Guest reyde_espana

Calling twat james blake the next phil collins is a horrible comparison...

but hey... who cares anyways... its good for a laugh i guess... :nelson:

and just to be clear... those eps where anything to get too exited about... some good moments... but ive heard better stuff on soundcloud...

and the album of course didnt deliver.. since how could it?!?!?! the guys just a regular talent... nothing to write home about. :wtf:

Guest Hanratty

i've read about this guy more than actually listened to. People seem to like writing about how they don't like his music. Is he a quick fad that people are now trying to tear apart? why the negativity?

He is a very talented producer, but I'm not convinced by his songwriting skills. The album is allright, but some of the melodies are completely forgettable. I probably wouldn't care so much if he wasn't singing.

I thought I hated the album and nearly deleted it but now I'm coming round to it, or some of it, I think Wilhelm Scream is amazing now after being sickened by it initially

I more or less had the same experience, but instead of downloading the LP I was just listening to it on YouTube. Friend of mine whose opinion I greatly respect is all about it and Wilhelm Scream did finally click for me last week.

Psyched to pick this one up with it is released in the USA.

Calling twat james blake the next phil collins is a horrible comparison...

but hey... who cares anyways... its good for a laugh i guess... :nelson:

and just to be clear... those eps where anything to get too exited about... some good moments... but ive heard better stuff on soundcloud...

and the album of course didnt deliver.. since how could it?!?!?! the guys just a regular talent... nothing to write home about. :wtf:

He is a very talented producer, but I'm not convinced by his songwriting skills. The album is allright, but some of the melodies are completely forgettable. I probably wouldn't care so much if he wasn't singing.

You'd think it was the Second Coming or somesuch, with all the platitudes heaped upon him. Christ, it's just some auto-tuned (veeeery basic) melodies and not much else.

Fir fuck's sake, Burial did it better 4 years ago, with no vox, and some decent fuckiin breaks. Dubstep, reaaaally? To step would surely mean some beats be involved. Jings, it's jist not right...he really loves his voice though, don't he? Pfft. Seriously, dubstep...amazing...new...auto-zzzzz? There is one track on the JB LP where you can 'hear' that R n B sound they are so oft to quote in the press, by which I mean he has basically ripped off an R n' B tune. Wow. Such advances in sound. GTFO.

I'm not a hater, byraway, I like at least 4 tracks on it...the EPs he did were a bit bland too...some exciting bits, just tempered with extremely boring shit an all...it's just, umm, are we really that desperate for a new player in 2011?

I think that the "Burial rip-off" line is unfounded. On a skeletal basis, both use 2-step/garage frameworks with manipulated R&B vocals but that's like saying 1 techno artist is ripping off another by using a TR-909 (Awepittance may agree :spiteful: )

Burial is about implied atmospheres. He has recognizable hooks and melodies but they are sublimated into broad, reverbed "suggestions" and ambience. Blake and Mount Kimbie use quite frank and crisp melodies straight out of Gospel and R&B in a very recognizable manner. So does Skweee, which is a better framework to understand Blake/Mount Kimbie and they even say so by mentioning "Dutch pop" in their "interests" section of MySpace.

All dubstep/Burial/etc. comparisons are rather weak and tangential. If you wanted to get into Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass or even Rick Astley ( :emotawesomepm9: ) , that's a more solid line of argument.

Time to RickRoll "The Wilhelm Scream"

Yeah, sorry, the Burial line was very lazy of me, I had been at the Land of Pub. Was just bored of the hype and confounded by how amazing this was meant to be, when it's really got just one or two great bits on it, but not much else. Tis his first album though, and I'm sure he didn't ask for all this erse-licking that's going on.

One thing though...the vinyl is £24.99 in Rough Trade. For a 2xLP. Fucking major labels, they do take the pish.

Guest reyde_espana

shit.. people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU DO KNOW THAT BIBIO IS ABOUT TO DROP HIS NEW ALBUM ON US?!!?!??!?!?!

who cares about JB?

Burial is about implied atmospheres. He has recognizable hooks and melodies but they are sublimated into broad, reverbed "suggestions" and ambience. Blake and Mount Kimbie use quite frank and crisp melodies straight out of Gospel and R&B in a very recognizable manner. So does Skweee, which is a better framework to understand Blake/Mount Kimbie and they even say so by mentioning "Dutch pop" in their "interests" section of MySpace.

Well-put. I've never heard of Skweee -- is that Squee? lol

I tried listening to the new album and I got about 2 minutes into the first track before I couldn't take anymore autotune. just awful. I don't know if I'm missing out but if they are all autotuned vocals like that... :facepalm:

also, pitchfork gave his new record a 9.0 so...

...you can't like or dislike something until pitchfork weighs in on it?

oh yea man, that's what i base all of my music tastes on. i don't like anything unless pitchfork says its ok too, otherwise, how will i know what bands to advertise on my t-shirts? get with the times buddy.

Archived