IGNORED

James Blake is the new Phil Collins

beerwolf

Guest Iain C

I always was a bit reminded of older (in age) Nick Cave while listening to James Blake...

i don't understand... i'm not with it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gbiscuit

The EP's feel more like upbeat Burial.

I would suggest trying them regardless, but, knowing your thoughts I could safely say you could avoid them without missing too much.

The EPs on the whole are much better than the album, but I was also massively confused and let down after checking this guy.

Really over hyped in my opinion - people have said he's the best thing to happen to dubstep, not sure about that myself, I think it's more the other way round.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad I didn't expect James Blake's album to be 'dubstep.' That would be like drinking a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice, expecting it to be chocolate milk. It will just taste gross because of your expectations. But taken on its own merit, his album blows my fuckin dick off; so many awesome harmonic ideas and unique arrangements, top-notch production, and an admirable use of space and quiet, too. Now that I've finally checked it out, I think it totally lives up to the hype.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Has anyone else noticed how similar parts of James Blake's (excellent) remix for Untold are to I Never Learned To Share? I mean its sort of okay to steal your own ideas wholesale, but then again, is it? I'm not convinced that whole rising notes thing isn't taken from the original Untold track. I think it's called Stop What You're Doing.

Yeah the whole LP seems a bit without ideas and heart, quickly produced, the same elements everywhere... nevertheless a very beautiful work.

I much prefer the short earlier releases... much more different stuff happening and more open to experiments and strange sounds...

And I mean, Blake only continues a trend, that other very young (and talented) producers like Rustie tried too... it's so cool to be a 20-year old electronic producer... every generation / decade needs to have its rock'n'roll heroes, even electronic music (as most of us need an Aphex or Clark or so :spiteful: )

I had no idea he was getting such hype. I enjoy his EP's a lot, but is the LP really THAT bad... Or is this a bunch of people who haven't heard his previous works bitching because it's not the standard dubstep filth? I kinda never really considered it to be strictly dubstep and the music becomes much more enjoyable when you don't seem to confine it to being dubstep and instead more-so dub inspired... I don't really think what he's doing is that revolutionary either, but I find it quite listenable. I haven't heard the LP though, if it is as bad as people say perhaps he's just run out of inspiration in working with the soul influenced sound he goes for, which I could see happening with such a specific aesthetic.

I'm really glad I didn't expect James Blake's album to be 'dubstep.' That would be like drinking a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice, expecting it to be chocolate milk. It will just taste gross because of your expectations. But taken on its own merit, his album blows my fuckin dick off; so many awesome harmonic ideas and unique arrangements, top-notch production, and an admirable use of space and quiet, too. Now that I've finally checked it out, I think it totally lives up to the hype.

Well-stated, I have to say I completely agree. I think going in without expectations is probably the best way to approach it. I picked up the album at Best Buy yesterday just because they had it and I did like the couple tracks I heard. Definitely probably not for everyone (especially "hardcore" dubstep heads), but I don't see how people could say it's bland Starbucks chillout music or something- it's still too strange to fall into that type of thing to me. I really like the way the production and songwriting blend in and out of each other.

"I don't know about my dreamin' anymooore ..."

"My father and my brothaaah, don't speak to me; but I don't blaaame them ..."

"So ... come here often? Can I buy you a drink?"

Really sets the mood lol!

Guest Coalbucket PI

I picked up the album at Best Buy yesterday

how people could say it's bland Starbucks chillout

lo, really? Youre a mile up your own arse if youre actually judging people for buying stuff from a particular shop

I picked up the album at Best Buy yesterday

how people could say it's bland Starbucks chillout

lo, really? Youre a mile up your own arse if youre actually judging people for buying stuff from a particular shop

lo

• 5 years later...

He needs to become wildly popular with the African American demographic before that statement's true. Not gonna happen anytime soon?

He needs to become wildly popular with the African American demographic before that statement's true. Not gonna happen anytime soon?

He's on the new Beyoncé album innit.

I'm not familiar with this Phil Collins thing though.

Archived