IGNORED

Burial - Street Halo

Guest Archrival

Just grabbed this - really hope the digital files are cleaner.

As to the music itself - pretty much more of the same - but that's lovely. A little bit of subtle progressions here and there. Proper full length to follow? Exciting :)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my 12 today. All the surface noise and distortion seem to me to be in the original track. You can hear reverb on some of the pops and clicks. I wouldn't expect the digital release to sound any different.

It's a little overdone on the first track (in my opinion of course). After a couple of listens, "NYC" probably edges it out for my favorite.

no, there's a difference between delicious crackle and horrible clipping. compare the A/B sides on a decentish set of speakers, because only the A has the problem. the delay releasing the mp3s kinda confirms this, because i reckon it was probably ripped from a master vinyl.

i'm just guessing with that one, but V2 having an over-loud side A and V0 also having this problem points to a problem with the press not the rip. so it's not that big a jump to suppose the delay in release of digitals is due to similar.

Now that I've had the weekend to listen to this, I still stand by my initial impressions that NYC is the best track, and this is a great ep. Hungry for more.

On a side note I hate RNB and yet love burials use of vocals.

+1 I agree with NYC

I think if I was Burial, track wise, I'd have NYC after Stolen Dog, I think they flow better that way.

For some reason my phone keeps playing it that way, I usually forget I left shuffle on and put street halo first, then stolen dog comes on and then NYC lol. It does flow better in a way.

:music:

Guest MortstoX

Dear Mr Burial.

I like your music and all, but do you have to use the same beats, sound-effects, samples and helium vocals over and over and over and over again?

Score: 5.3/10

Guest MortstoX

It's kind of his sound, I wouldn't want him to change it too much :)

Well, I'm glad mr RDJ didn't stick to "his sound" from 1994 or so. I don't want him to change too much, but I think he is a talented guy, and would like him to experiment just a little.

dubstep would be so much cooler with banjos and pan flutes.

James Blake is saving that for his second album. :emotawesomepm9:

i'd forgotten how much fake vinyl record effect he uses on his own music until i listened to this ep, . probably the only Burial thing i've liked besides his first self titled album. I like his use of vocals on this much better than on untrue

still by far probably the most listenable artist on Hyperdub, i'm really tired of the forced 8bit bubbly dubstep sound their label seems to be all about these days

I enjoy the vinyl effects... the super high pitched popping and the low sub bass, its cotton swabbing my ears. Its almost a binaural effect.

But yeah I'm not too fond of the rest of hyperdub.

i've read he uses many sources for the vinyl surface noise, including fire crackle and other similar sounding phenomena.

Guest Budoc

MP3s and WAVs are now available on the Hyperdub website. I'm currently at work, so I cannot listen to the samples and compare the quality of Street Halo to the vinyl rip. If anyone does download from here then please let me know if there is a difference in quality, and how the MP3s are encoded.

Guest MortstoX

Richard James sounded way better in '94.

Yep. But we would have missed a lot of goodies if he only released new SAWs or ABBs after 94

MP3s and WAVs are now available on the Hyperdub website. I'm currently at work, so I cannot listen to the samples and compare the quality of Street Halo to the vinyl rip. If anyone does download from here then please let me know if there is a difference in quality, and how the MP3s are encoded.

I tried to order the WAV version, but their Paypal checkout thing doesn't work at the moment. Frustrating.

Archived