IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

I am on a professional bicycle racing team, so am pretty fit. I could destroy every single person on this forum on a road bike, no question.

Yeah well my dad works at Nintendo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You people that work out consistantly.

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Everytime I try I cannot do it for more than a week.

I am just starting with bodyweight exercises and I will "graduate" to a gym once I can do cardio and bodyweight exercises consistantly.

But when I do pushups they are so hard. I do them on bars and have good form. But I do them on my knees until I can do 20 reps and 5 sets without stopping.

I also have a pullup bar and stuff but exercise is so hard. Even harder than changing my diet.

i do work out on a daily basis, edit : at home with few gears i got for cheap

i try to change the exercises to not being repetitive the next day, it works fine, i never push too much

also i stopped eating bread and i try to eat each days 4 eggs and three chicken filets, whatev the recipe, cooked or not,

and important thing, this from an reliable source, avoid to eat after 6pm or something really light, like vegetables, fish, chicken, no fat/sauce

you can eat whatever you want at lunch, breakfast, even super fat, if your days are busy, you'll burn everything, whats go on your body fat is what you eat the end of your day, because while your sleeping, your body recharge all battery and stock energy

this works perfectly fine to me since i only wanted to loose few and have a better shape,

my case isn't extreme, for any extreme cases => extreme efforts. it's that simple

but unless you wanna gain fast and so, go chemical, don't look yourself too much, just do it without questioning it, be super patient,

the faster you wanna go, the faster you gonna loose any single effort you've made when you stop

so gain your muscles gently, let mother nature getting involved, this is your body, if you damage it, you'll regret it for the rest your life

never imagined have working out talk here haha, i mean WTF ?!

I am on a professional bicycle racing team, so am pretty fit. I could destroy every single person on this forum on a road bike, no question.

Okay, you get on your road bike, then pedal into the octagon with me motherfucker. Let's see who dies first.

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Honestly, I am kind of shit in recent months at everlasting consistency.

But the things that have worked for me at times of "no motivation":

- My "ONLY 1 REP" workout program. Haha... I developed this technique for myself as a triple-blind back-whammy mind-fuck psycho-trick. If you have all your gear or bars or whatever in one place, then all you have to do is go there and convince yourself to do ONLY ONE REP. Whatever is the easiest workout in your session, tell yourself you will only do 1 rep of it-- that is it. Tell yourself whatever bullshit you have to, to get that 1 rep accomplished. The trick is that, basically working out feels great. Your body and mind know the benefits. But your conscious mind "don't feel like wooorking oooouut", for a multitude of who-cares reasons. But if you can get to that 1 rep, you will immediately do a normal set, and then all of a sudden you are hardcore into some strenuous shit.

-cinematic persona. Well, this is basically just putting into your mind, that you're becoming- and already are- whatever type of badass that you want to be from working out, that's too embarrassing to even type out. It's your own fucking head, and if you allow the ego to flow in there and fill it with golden fantasy of you-badass, you will eventually be driven to workout, from the essence of your cock (or vagiznaz). If you don't have your personal ego-trip imagery, you can use something like...: Something that I learnt from bodybuilding forums is The Terminator shower, where you get naked in the shower, turn the water on, and you crouch down like when The Terminator time travel arrives. Then you have someone play The Terminator theme on loudspeaker (or you press play and jump in the shower and crouch). So you're crouching down there, fulling immersing yourself in the badassness that was old school Arnold as The Terminator. You imagine you have the body and everything. So you're crouching in the shower, the theme starts, and when the strings come in, you slowly start to rise as The Terminator does. The idea is ridiculous, but I watched my girlfriend do this-- and actually, it was pretty fucking epic.

i agree with this only one rep idea, it's about just getting on the device, or out the door for a walk or whatever. Free weights are easier to put down though, heh.

(disclaimer: In my post I am using the word fitness to describe the sport fitness, and not the physical state of being fit(xcept where I say it using an asteriks)

Amber, there's one tip I'd like to give to you if you want to do something: Just Do Ittm . Your mind, as any mind, is capable of developing a lot of thoughtbarriers that will comfortably nestle themselves on your path of your development, in whatever direction, and the only way I know of on how to take these hurdles, is by actually doing the thing you have been thinking about doing. I heard a quote yesterday, but I forgot it exactly because I was pretty high, so I am going to paraphrase it to you: "the only joy is in doing". Joy can be something else, but the main point I am making of this is that daydreaming about doing something might give you some form of happiness (as mind fantasies are capable of doing), but that there really is only one pleasure, or purpose, and that is by doing. i.e. thinking about going for that run gives a small reward because you promise yourself by doing that, but actually going out and sweating your beautiful ass off, feeling that progress in your calves and ass feels effing great, and tops the puffy intoxication of a minds fart a thousand times.

Having said that, I must add that I know that life can not be distilled to a few simple quotes and there are probably some other things that it could be something else maybe. I am just going to shoot off some things in various directions, and hope it will land somewhere and sprout a glorious oak tree made of commitment, fullness, richness and prowess(since you are obviously calling out for help, and what better place to find people who will tell you exactly what to do you with your life than on the internet!! :lol: )

1. Body weight training is a beautiful and perfect way to sculpt your body exactly to the needs of your body so that your body is trained to be able to carry the body it had just used to train to become the body to sculpt your body to etc etc. Sounds like great description for your own body, hmmm?

2. Fitness schools are odd breeds. Maybe you just don't like the atmosphere enough for you to consistently go there (For one thing: all those goddamn mirrors!!!)? Maybe it's so far out of your route that you simple can't be arsed to drive down? There could be many reasons. It could also be the smell.. smells are very trickery, secret and powerful. :shuriken:

3. There are MANY ways to stay in shape.., and they are not all fitness! You can jog, bike, swim, vikingrun, rockclimb, spelunk, surf, squash, tennis, hockey, play soccer, do yoga, dance (fuck, dancing is so good for your body!! night club dancing too, if you do it right :tongue:), have many sex. Expand your options. Check around. See what feels good and pursue accordingly

4. #hardtalk Image Macro Time! So while you are down on your hands and knees, chin on the floor, your mind screaming "NO! NO! STOP! STOP MAKING A MOCKERY OUT OF YOURSELF BY OVERCOMING ME!!! THIS WAS THE LAST PUSH-UP. YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF DOING ANOTHER. YOU ARE WEAK. LET'S EAT CHOCOLATE AND CANDY. NO! NO!!! STOOP! STOOOOOOOOP!!!!!! ...............

.!>!>!>!" You, ofcourse, do 3 more push-ups. You are capable of much more then what your silly mind limits you to do. Yeh, you might have got some (heavy!) muscle ache the following day, but hey, you proved your enslaver wrong. You are strong.

After this awe inspiring paragraph (which has received a nomination for "proof that human inevitability is awesome" in the district of Exeter), I'd like to add something else: know your limits! The only way to explore this limit is to find them, of course, and you can put a bit of strain of it, naturally, but keep listening to your BODY. If your body says *KGKGKGKKGGKGKKGKG" you stop. If you body says "SSWWWWWWWoooooWWWHHAAAAA" you feel fucking great. If your body says "PROROEOEOROEOEER", you might want to take a poop before you go and work out because otherwise you might shit your pants.

5. Actually was post #4, but post #4 rolled out and I like to go with that flow sometimes. Anyway: if you want to stay and do fitnezz, and you have the moneez available, make a weekly appointment with a *QUALITY* personal trainer. I believe there are many personal trainers out there who can help you along the road of become a paragon of human virtue and nobility. You can't really *dodge* a personal trainer when he's in the same room as you, and this guy deals with your problem on a daily basis. He can help.

---Ph-tip: A way for you to keep coming to this personal trainer is paying for the week ahead.---

If post 3 opened your mind to the possibility to do group stuff (and group stuff isn't only field sports, it also can be, as I said, yoga, dancing or something else.), explore that. The good thing about group stuff is that you usually meet on a weekly basis, and doing something together with others creates a bond which will help you to become a stronger human being.

That's it. I could've extended on the mental stuff, and maybe some other stuff too, but I am in #holiday mode so :happy:

As to the initial question of this thread: No, I don't do fitness. I did do fitness, and it helped me greatly in developing fitness (made me lose 80 pounds!! (+jogging&serious diet change), but now I jog 3 times a week and have a weeklyf Kundalini Yoga Class. It's summer holiday now, so we don't have class. My main purpose and goal is to have a daily Yoga routine, which is an aspiration of me to develop in the coming months.

i agree with this only one rep idea, it's about just getting on the device, or out the door for a walk or whatever. Free weights are easier to put down though, heh.

I did some free weights on the stationary bike, heh.

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Everytime I try I cannot do it for more than a week.

I am just starting with bodyweight exercises and I will "graduate" to a gym once I can do cardio and bodyweight exercises consistantly.

But when I do pushups they are so hard. I do them on bars and have good form. But I do them on my knees until I can do 20 reps and 5 sets without stopping.

I also have a pullup bar and stuff but exercise is so hard. Even harder than changing my diet.

start small

Guest Al Hounos

some good advice here, and I'd like to add that having more than one form of exercise helps tremendously with motivation. i rotate between running, mountainbiking, and weights. Not only does it give you a great variety of workouts for different parts of your body, but it also helps against mental burnout and boredom as well.

I love mountain biking as a hobby anyway, so I rarely need to force myself to get out on those days. So find a fun sport to compliment and motivate you during your gym time. Yeah, that's my recommendation.

also a couple weeks ago I tried doing the coack to 5k program BUT

I want my jogging with "good form" IE not landing on my heels.

SO I did just that and pivoted my torso as I took strides, I landed on the balls of my feet, and I looked straight ahead and kept my head as still as I could.

It wasnt that bad especially since the first week is joggin 1 minute and walking for 1.5 mins for 20 mins.

I did it the first day no problem and was very sore the next day.

The second day however in the first 30 secs of jogging I got a painful feeling in my foot. It feels like a tendon that sort of goes up the side of my (left) leg.

I powered through that days jog though but I still have that slight pain in my foot and am afraid of getting injured further so i have not jogged since then.

I have a pool and a bicycle though so I can try that. I also did hill jogs one time and my calves and glutes were sore the next day.

Do you stretch before and after? Because that's important and greatly reduces chance of injury. If you still have that gym membership, go there and ask one of the guys working there on what kind of stretching to do BEFORE you go jogging to eliminate the stings you experience during your exercise. I usually do these stretchings after, since it's kinda universal: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20706961_1,00.html

Do you also have running shoes? The soles are shock absorbent, designed to reduce the impact of you landing on your feet. They also walk nice, and if you get a sweet pair you can just walk around with them and feel springy & normcore (george carlin did it too so it's cool). I know I'm asking a bit of an investement (a good pair goes for 100-120 dollars), but it's worthwhile: you don't want to have sheen splits or any other shitty injuries, and paying a bit of a buck for that seems worthwhile to me!

Also, it's ok to be a bit sore. It's usually an indication that your muscles grew beyond their previous state, which is what you want if you work out :wink: However, if it's too much, that's usually an indication of overdoing. A schedule, as the one you are following now, is designed to reduce xtreme sores like the on you had once. Just keep following that and find the correct stretching and I don't see any reason why you won't be able to run that 5km in 10 weeks!

I said I would get a gym membership once I proved I can do cardio+bodyweight exercise regularly.

I even tried to stretch everyday but I always find excuses not to and then I stop caring.

I know its first world problems to not have the motivation to exercise but it bothers me so much.

This has to be one of the hardest choices a normal person can commit to because its so easy not to do it.

I do have a pair of nike free runs I got a couple years ago that still fit.

This is the bicylce I have I will try doing hills with it to prevent injury

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/700c-gtx-1-bike/prod7690441.ip

I also have a regular sized pool.

I think I need to play a sport. I thought about tennis because I like racquetball

that's smart thinking delet...

did you also levitate on one toe?

nope, i did multiplication tables. If i was levitating on one toe how could i be riding the bike. I was doing the maths because it's something to do with a muscle that normally just sits there. Apparently they've applied this idea in japan with old people they get them to do memory games with one another whilst doing balancing or walk up and down steps or other exercises, it has demonstrated results now that it improves cognitive abilities which helps stave off mental decline and helps slow rates of dementia. So what i was doing had a point, great. Of course, most of the time i just watch anime on the stationary bike and don't do free wieghts, heh, so you can have that phoenix.

haha, got you me good delet...!!! hahaha

I said I would get a gym membership once I proved I can do cardio+bodyweight exercise regularly.

Ok, I missed that one then I guess :)

I even tried to stretch everyday but I always find excuses not to and then I stop caring.

What's that one quote from Nike again..??

I know its first world problems to not have the motivation to exercise but it bothers me so much.

I understand.

This has to be one of the hardest choices a normal person can commit to because its so easy not to do it.

Yup, but would it be any fun if everything was easy?

Just do it! :yeah:

They found out recently that stretching provides no benefit. Funny after all these years. It can feel nice though, but it actually slackens the tendon, like would happen with a rubber band, making it less efficient mechanically. Warming up is a good thing to do though. Keep doing that well until the find that you shouldn't heh. I usually just start slowly and build up.

The study was at an high level, looking at elite athletes. I can't remember who did it, but it was mentioned in some bbc documentary i was watching a couple of years back. I was surprised as well, but it is kind of logical when you think about it. I wonder how this effects the concept of yoga. Although that's an whole discipline which probably develops the tendons so that they are longer, after hours per week for a few years.

bare in mind that i only have had a cursory think about what i'm going on about so use your own judgement on this topic.

The stretching thing was with regards to muscle strength before a workout. So yah- strength went down before a workout, if stretched. But this was also with static stretching, not dynamic stretching (iirc!).

Stretching does have tons of benefits, wtf!!!!! Just in that very specific case, it did not benefit strength.

cool. But you didn't need to stretch before a run, just warm up. I think a lot of things are so entrenched in sports lore that people build whole industries around them without ever questioning the fundamentals behind it. Sort of like we just recently figured out that we probably shouldn't be wearing cushioned soles for running as it weakens our feet and leads to injury. Makes me feel less guilty about jogging on my shoes until they have holes in them, i'm actually improving them as they degrade. heh.

cool. But you didn't need to stretch before a run, just warm up. I think a lot of things are so entrenched in sports lore that people build whole industries around them without ever questioning the fundamentals behind it. Sort of like we just recently figured out that we probably shouldn't be wearing cushioned soles for running as it weakens our feet and leads to injury. Makes me feel less guilty about jogging on my shoes until they have holes in them, i'm actually improving them as they degrade. heh.

Basically before doing strenuous activity (such as soccer or basketball) you should be doing an active warmup.

Static stretching as a cool down is good, the muscles are warm so stretching won't risk injury.

Before weight lifting though, you don't need to stretch at all. Although I find if you have sore knees and you're gong to be doing squats, it's good to do a few with only the bar before you get into it.

Basically before doing strenuous activity (such as soccer or basketball) you should be doing an active warmup.

Static stretching as a cool down is good, the muscles are warm so stretching won't risk injury.

Before weight lifting though, you don't need to stretch at all. Although I find if you have sore knees and you're gong to be doing squats, it's good to do a few with only the bar before you get into it.

I prefer myofascial release pre workout... stretching is being debated still for weight lifters (seems to be studies on both sides of the fence), but I generally agree with you.

That said, I find I get injured more often in one specific spot if I don't stretch pre-lift: my lower back. I need to do standing side stretches and some vinyasas to take care of this.

Context, yo..... Context. A lot of these studies are based on super-specific shit, and then people make conclusions about a wider gamut of activities. Like stretching muscles before weightlifting has been shown to reduce strength. BUT, shit like stretching ankles, can help with deadlift form. Etc.

If any of you are serious about pre-workout healthy shiz, checkout Matt Ogus' YouTube videos on mobility/stretching/warmup. Before every workout, he does like this 15 minute routine, to get everything in sync and shit, and it's PROPA, mang. PROPA.

Fuck it, here they are:

[youtubehd]YncugS7BKUI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]fppditaxSsQ[/youtubehd]

Archived