IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

5 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

Supposedly there are two reasons they're packaged this way:
1. The other half of the bag gets filled with nitrogen gas, which prevents the contents from crumbling during shipping/transit.
2. Said nitrogen gas displaces air, which makes them stale with prolonged exposure.

Yeah, but the weight went down as well, in the same sized bag. Frito-Lay is doing this a lot now, shrinkflation. I’ve also noticed some flavors of Doritos got rid of the see-thru window on the bag. 

1 hour ago, aderei said:

There are 3 shredding tracks on pearl jams new album - the rest is middle age meh

I never expected to read a comment on a new PJ album on watmm.  But now that we're here... yeah, worst PJ album by far.  The drums sound like garbage, and the vocal treatment is horrific.  I don't think I can stomach another listen.  So weird how much praise this one is getting, considering how awful it sounds.  I actually think the majority of their albums up until now have been great, and this one's a blemish in an otherwise remarkably consistent track record.  No idea what they were thinking ditching Brendon O'Brien for this Watt guy.  Utter madness.  The first couple songs did sound like they'd probably be incredible live.  Maybe if I could get past the production I'd enjoy some of the songs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I never expected to read a comment on a new PJ album on watmm.  But now that we're here... yeah, worst PJ album by far.  The drums sound like garbage, and the vocal treatment is horrific.  I don't think I can stomach another listen.  So weird how much praise this one is getting, considering how awful it sounds.  I actually think the majority of their albums up until now have been great, and this one's a blemish in an otherwise remarkably consistent track record.  No idea what they were thinking ditching Brendon O'Brien for this Watt guy.  Utter madness.  The first couple songs did sound like they'd probably be incredible live.  Maybe if I could get past the production I'd enjoy some of the songs.

I'd say they have 3 good albums total and the rest is forgettable drek. I relistened to some grunge yesterday and man lots of it is trash. Matt Camerons drums on Badmotorfinger are incredible...why do they sound so terrible now...the sound that is, not the playing....

Edited by aderei

11 hours ago, aderei said:

My current problem is I like american sports...baseball and football....they are fun to watch...im sorry...

it's stanley cup playoffs time. nothing compares to it. 2 months of insane hockey. best of 7 series x 4 to win. it's the best thing in teams sports imo. so fast and in the moment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

I never could get into sports in general. Guess I just don't have the right mindset for them.

learning something that requires muscle memory and speed or some aspect of athleticism can be really fun and satisfying. skate boarding, ping pong, cycling, soccer.. tennis.. whatever..  there's a thing that happens where you're in the moment and not thinking. your brain kind of turns off because you're just making decisions. not that athletes are some kind of automatons but there's a different part of your brain being accessed or something in some sports when there's constant motion. and when that gets really intense.. like stanley cup playoffs.. it's awesome to watch. 

but i get not being into it. as a kid.. once i got into flatland freestyle bmx, team sports were dead to me. 

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

learning something that requires muscle memory and speed or some aspect of athleticism can be really fun and satisfying. skate boarding, ping pong, cycling, soccer.. tennis.. whatever..  there's a thing that happens where you're in the moment and not thinking. your brain kind of turns off because you're just making decisions. not that athletes are some kind of automatons but there's a different part of your brain being accessed or something in some sports when there's constant motion. and when that gets really intense.. like stanley cup playoffs.. it's awesome to watch. 

but i get not being into it. as a kid.. once i got into flatland freestyle bmx, team sports were dead to me. 

Watching a double play with balls thrown so accurately and fast there is literally no trajectory is insane....perfect games are a fluke of nature....I don't find the homer that interesting tbh...in field and outfield plays and pitching can get close to art...

I've been into so many sports but more so watching in the last few years....tennis...watching alcaraz at his best is another level of genius...

American football....anyone can watch a running back plow through 8 massive beasts and be awed....

You do absolutely have to suspend your disgust in the corporate machine of it all but human beings do some badass shit just for the fun of it...

NHL I will give a try!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aderei said:

Watching a double play with balls thrown so accurately and fast there is literally no trajectory is insane....perfect games are a fluke of nature....I don't find the homer that interesting tbh...in field and outfield plays and pitching can get close to art...

I've been into so many sports but more so watching in the last few years....tennis...watching alcaraz at his best is another level of genius...

American football....anyone can watch a running back plow through 8 massive beasts and be awed....

You do absolutely have to suspend your disgust in the corporate machine of it all but human beings do some badass shit just for the fun of it...

NHL I will give a try!

I played baseball as a kid and got pretty good for a while until I got into bikes. Always liked playing the game. My mom absolutely loves baseball so when I visit her we watch. When I lived in miami I went to a bunch of marlins games including some of their first World Series games. Was pretty epic. Years later I found out my younger brother, who was with us at those games, was on acid at some of those games. I was impressed and had no idea. We had a good laugh. Baseball is very different. It’s pretty chill. The pitching is just insane these days. The placement is unreal. In 2005 I went to the local batting cages and my timing was so off I had to do a few rounds of softball lobs to hit. Then did the 40mph machine for a while and I felt so slow. Tried a few 70mph and what a laugh. Big whiffs. I have respect for the sport for sure. All sports really. 
if you like tennis you should read David foster Wallace tennis pieces. “How Tracy Austin broke my heart” which is his review of the autobiography of the same name. Here’s a link to a pdf in this Reddit post:

he wrote several things on tennis that are great reads. His writings on sports are fantastic. He really breaks down so many aspects of whatever it is he’s writing about. Of course, a big part of infinite jest is set in a youth tennis camp. He captures athletes and sports in a very special way. Really gets into muscle memory and strategy and all that. But the thing about Tracy Austin’s book is incredible. He wrote a bunch of things for whatever the main tennis magazine was or is. Pete Sampras, Agassi etc. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

I think team sports are a great way for young kids to grow self esteem. Of course this is an idm forum so maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree. 

54 minutes ago, YEK said:

I think team sports are a great way for young kids to grow self esteem. Of course this is an idm forum so maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree. 

No way man - i love both

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ignatius said:

there's a thing that happens where you're in the moment and not thinking. your brain kind of turns off because you're just making decisions. not that athletes are some kind of automatons but there's a different part of your brain being accessed or something in some sports when there's constant motion. 

yep. being in "the zone" as it's called. a lot of it has to do with following pure instinct as opposed to intellect. right brain vs left brain stuff. no time to listen to the inner critic voice in the head, it's turned off during those intense fast paced moments...the same thing is largely the intent of breathing meditation. calm your mind down enough so that you don't hear the voice inside your head. I've heard of athletes practicing meditation in order to help train their mind to remain calm when they're out there doing their thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

yep. being in "the zone" as it's called. a lot of it has to do with following pure instinct as opposed to intellect. right brain vs left brain stuff. no time to listen to the inner critic voice in the head, it's turned off during those intense fast paced moments...the same thing is largely the intent of breathing meditation. calm your mind down enough so that you don't hear the voice inside your head. I've heard of athletes practicing meditation in order to help train their mind to remain calm when they're out there doing their thing.  

Overtime winner from last night. the guy who scored this goal has 5 OT winners in the playoffs in his career in only 14 OT games. there's 6 other players on that list but w/many more games. dude is clutch in the playoffs. 

anyway.. nice goal. he out waits the goalie then backhand roofs it. i don't think he meditates but he could?..  experience and muscle memory. kinda ridiculous goal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

Overtime winner from last night. the guy who scored this goal has 5 OT winners in the playoffs in his career in only 14 OT games. there's 6 other players on that list but w/many more games. dude is clutch in the playoffs. 

anyway.. nice goal. he out waits the goalie then backhand roofs it. i don't think he meditates but he could?..  experience and muscle memory. kinda ridiculous goal. 

goddamn! wheel snipe celly, boys 😎

hockey was the only sport I liked playing as a kid (mom couldn't afford all the ice gear so i played roller hockey, but still). such a fun game. perfect balance of grace and violence imo

Huge influx of jocks in my favourite thread on my favourite idm forum. Don’t know where to turn. 

39 minutes ago, user said:

Huge influx of jocks in my favourite thread on my favourite idm forum. Don’t know where to turn. 

Click "Ignore" and filter out the people you don't want to see stuff from. Milwaukeeeee only posts in that thread, so you won't be missing much.

6 hours ago, user said:

here ya go. this is where ya turn to get cool the angst from jocks

Edited by ignatius