IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

8 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Probably because you paired it with those velour chinos. 

More likely because I was working at the North West London Palestinian Law Centre that day.

• Thanks 1

My neck / shoulders have been a constant mess for a little over the past week. I’ve gotten 2 massages, taken countless scalding-hot baths with epsom salts, loaded up on ibuprofen / muscle relaxers / indica edibles, hit that shit with my Theragun, bought an e-stim/TEMS electro pulse therapy machine on Amazon and zapped my muscles into oblivion (not all in the same day, mind you) and it is still completely fucked. The e-stim/TEMS therapy seemed the most helpful but this morning I woke up and it was back to square one, with the exception of my shoulders being a lot better than before. I had zero range of motion for a few days and it got a little bit better with each thing I tried but I have a super tight knot where the top of my neck meets the base of my skull on the left side and it just won’t relax. Not sure what else I can try except maybe acupuncture but I’m broke and I’ve already dropped over $150 on pointless massages. I’m wondering if I should just get a foam neck brace or something. Thoughts?

Edited by J3FF3R00

more serious note, a mate smashed his shoulder cycling in the lanes because of a car pulling out & ended up wrecked.

caveat was being stuck between physio & not being fucked enough for minor surgery.

he was offered a month’s prescription initially but, weighing up what a month’s worth meant & how it would need more delicate tapering juggling family & work, opted for 2 weeks & shorter tapering period.

sorted.

very wary around ssri’s, very wary, they definitely have modes which help but reams online about amitriptyline’s lesser know role within shorter interventions for pain relief.

1 hour ago, cwmbrancity said:

they definitely have modes which help but reams online about amitriptyline’s lesser know role within shorter interventions for pain relief.

i've been on amitriptyline for years. low dose to help w/gut problems related to celiac diagnosis. that's why i started taking it anyways.. my GI doc prescribed it. it works well for this purpose. i guess the side effects are why i take. it calms the guts. at times i was taking as little as 10mg. now i take 40 mg. sometimes 30mg. will probably taper down to 10mg again as it seems effective even at that super low dose.

when i was having some acute back pain my primary doc said i could take 50 or 60mg to help with muscle relaxation/sleep since "it works well for that". it kinda does but not amazingly well. 60mg will make me foggy in the morning. and a bit sluggish. 

my doc said back when it first came out they were giving people 100-250mg and basically making people in mental hospitals into zombies. i guess it's one of the older meds of its type

Edited by ignatius

2 hours ago, kakapo said:

More likely because I was working at the North West London Palestinian Law Centre that day.

AH yes - I didn't understand the gravity of the situation. Still though...lilac velour is never a good choice for work.

1 hour ago, cwmbrancity said:

I want the one that pounds directly against your ear drum like being at a nasenbluten show without all the fucking riff-raff.

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:57 PM, hello spiral said:

There's actually a pretty well known label around these parts interested in putting some of this stuff out :^)

something for the FWS thread if the talks work out 

:^)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

My neck / shoulders have been a constant mess for a little over the past week. I’ve gotten 2 massages, taken countless scalding-hot baths with epsom salts, loaded up on ibuprofen / muscle relaxers / indica edibles, hit that shit with my Theragun, bought an e-stim/TEMS electro pulse therapy machine on Amazon and zapped my muscles into oblivion (not all in the same day, mind you) and it is still completely fucked. The e-stim/TEMS therapy seemed the most helpful but this morning I woke up and it was back to square one, with the exception of my shoulders being a lot better than before. I had zero range of motion for a few days and it got a little bit better with each thing I tried but I have a super tight knot where the top of my neck meets the base of my skull on the left side and it just won’t relax. Not sure what else I can try except maybe acupuncture but I’m broke and I’ve already dropped over $150 on pointless massages. I’m wondering if I should just get a foam neck brace or something. Thoughts?

I’ve had immense lower back pain caused by muscle cramps/knots and my physio taught me some exercises that help it go away every time. She also told me that massaging knots will give short term relief but will eventually make things worse because apparently the body tends to react by tensing up more. So lay of the massages and massagers and start stretching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 10:43 AM, chenGOD said:

I want the one that pounds directly against your ear drum like being at a nasenbluten show without all the fucking riff-raff.

i want a butthole version.  a sort of portable bidet.

edit:

also, song i'm working on.. SUUUUUUCCCKCKKKKSS

Edited by ignatius

17 hours ago, user said:

She also told me that massaging knots will give short term relief but will eventually make things worse because apparently the body tends to react by tensing up more.

What? Massages may cause short-term pain at first if you're not used to them but after getting used to them, muscle soreness post-massage should go away. This is because much like exercise, massage will stimulate muscles - if you're not used to it, try a lighter massage at first before you go full-on deep tissue massage. Just like you don't jump head first into running a 10k or power lifting, you'll want to ease into both massage and stretching.

Stretching and massage together is a great combination to keep you limber.

Also if you work a desk job, try and stand up and move around for at least a couple of minutes every 30 minutes or so. Sit-stand desks are actually really good if you can get a decent one.

@J3FF3R00 most important for us geezers - good posture when sitting and standing - keep the spine nice and tall. Stretch out your hip flexors regularly - it's the best fucking stretch in the world. There are a bunch of different ones you can do you tube that shit - for me the 90-90s are killer but feel so good. I know you're going "chen what the fuck it's my neck and shoulders you stupid git" but trust - good posture, open hips, relieves so much stress in our upper body.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. I couldn't find this thread to post my first world problem so I had to go 6 PAGES deep into WATMM General. Why is this thread not easier to spot?

2. My drum'n'bass listening kick is coinciding with my neighbor slamming his microwave harder and I think he's sending me a message.

How annoying.

• Farnsworth 1

god fucking dammit

trying to edit a few little things to a PDF file, just a few dates. tried converting it to .docx, but there are double enters in there that i just can't seem to delete. then i tried finding an editor that can actually edit existing text in a PDF. turns out there's basically jack shit out there. only shit to ADD things. 

Angry Fire GIF by Gerbert!

edit: wtf i actually found one!?? hope it's not loaded with malware. anyway idgaf because it ain't really sensitive data anyway

Edited by Berk

putting on pants this morning.. as i lifted my right leg to put in the leg the low right back spasmed and i fell over onto the bed in pain. ice heat all day long baby!!!

Edited by ignatius
  • Sad 1

Tik tok is pushing longer videos. I don’t want to watch a ten minute video, hell I don’t really want to watch a five minute video either. 

15 hours ago, YEK said:

Tik tok is pushing longer videos. I don’t want to watch a ten minute video, hell I don’t really want to watch a five minute video either. 

You can pay to watch videos now. Amazing, isn't it?

On 3/20/2024 at 8:02 AM, Squee said:

So-called "creative" brand managers will be the end of me.

image.png

The sound of someone taking a sip of a drink was just described as sounding like an "electrical jolt" and a classic "whoosh" sound described as a trombone.

image.png

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Squee said:

You can pay to watch videos now. Amazing, isn't it?

The sound of someone taking a sip of a drink was just described as sounding like an "electrical jolt" and a classic "whoosh" sound described as a trombone.

image.png

Maybe this person is used to hearing trombones sliding without anyone blowing on them. 

Prepaid for a medical procedure. Procedure got cancelled. Takes up to 30 business days for refund. 

also spent some hours diving into kurzweil k2500r w/kdfx and holy shit endless sound design and now time is a thing so will have to tear myself in half because computer also endless sound design possible. Need Time Machine please. 

Edited by ignatius

48 minutes ago, aderei said:

Moving country when current housing, job, family, health situation is totally fine. Idiot. 

Whereto? 

1 hour ago, user said:

Maybe this person is used to hearing trombones sliding without anyone blowing on them. 

Haha, I'll ask.

19 minutes ago, Squee said:

Whereto? 

Haha, I'll ask.

Other half got a job in the Netherlands.

I'm indulging her fantasies of Western European sophistication even though much says it's a terrible idea. 
10 things all Dutch moms do

shutterstock_dutch-family-scaled.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

People who haven’t made up their mind about what they want at the take out place when it’s their turn deserves a bullet. 

• Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

a random review/analysis of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest came up in my youtube feed and i'm trying really hard not to post a super mean comment about it because it's so fucking dumb. it's low views and people in the comments are praising the guy and i should want to take a huge dumb on it because it's so so so awful. he says infinite jest is the literary equivalent of a third eye blind album.  and calls it "peppy" in how it discusses addiction... wtf. 

fuck it.. leaving my shitty comment. i can delete it later. 

shit. i can't be this mean: if David Foster Wallace was still alive i think this analysis of infinite jest would be the thing that put him over the edge to make him kill himself. comparing infinite jest to music from third eye blind's is such a huge miss. i mean.. it's just absurd. it's like comparing a perfect cut diamond to sugary breakfast cereal. sorry. i know this sounds mean but dude.. please.. i'm bummed.

video in spoiler

edited my comment to be less mean. 

Spoiler

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ignatius said:

a random review/analysis of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest came up in my youtube feed and i'm trying really hard not to post a super mean comment about it because it's so fucking dumb. it's low views and people in the comments are praising the guy and i should want to take a huge dumb on it because it's so so so awful. he says infinite jest is the literary equivalent of a third eye blind album.  and calls it "peppy" in how it discusses addiction... wtf. 

fuck it.. leaving my shitty comment. i can delete it later. 

shit. i can't be this mean: if David Foster Wallace was still alive i think this analysis of infinite jest would be the thing that put him over the edge to make him kill himself. comparing infinite jest to music from third eye blind's is such a huge miss. i mean.. it's just absurd. it's like comparing a perfect cut diamond to sugary breakfast cereal. sorry. i know this sounds mean but dude.. please.. i'm bummed.

video in spoiler

edited my comment to be less mean. 

There's always a chance that someone will see your comment and that it will inspire them to read something good or at the very least check out the novel and begin forming their own opinion if they are unfamiliar with the work.

I sometimes see people offering very bad takes or being dismissive of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian online, one of my absolute favorite novels. I usually just post this meme of Judge Holden blasting away on his howitzer in response with no other commentary:

Aaron Gwyn on X: "In this artist's rendering, Judge Holden has been doing  keto and CrossFit: https://t.co/3Lt1u8Gx36" / X

• Like 1