IGNORED

Making Graphics In Games '100,000 Times' Better?

cear

I'm proud of myself now:

but... if these point cloud graphics have that many individual points, what would happen if there was even simple animations like - in an fps - arms and a weapon with just as many points moving around? despite being not forced to render them, it would still need to constantly calculate each of the points with their new coordinates wouldn't it, even if they were grouped or summed up to a single object?

not an expert ...

I did believe the guy from last year though. I assumed Billov was talking about him, I remembered his voice and thought "he sounds alright" - then I watched this new video and the guy on this one sounds like the most cuntish of cunts!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to remember the last time I got mad at how the environments looked in a high def game. At least now we can take virtual walks through parks and look at the flora and fauna instead of head shotting someone.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Before niggas be worrying about polygons, mainstream games need much much more defined textures, even with the new texture streaming engines PEOPLE SHOULD BE PLAYING GAMES THAT ARE ATTEMPTING TO BE GRAPHICALLY INTENSE WITH MORE THAN 512MB OF MEMORY ON THEIR FUCKING CONSOLES.

If our consoles or PCs have 20+ gigs of DDR7 and 16 core CPUs the texturing, lighting, physics, 32x super sampling anti aliasing at real 1920x1080 will look light years better than current console visuals.

We don't need to reinvent the game we just need to have our hardware catch up with the potential of software. Games shouldn't be smaller than a blu ray movie. We need to have 100gig games downloaded from our 200mb dark fiber internet connections with a lot more detail. I imagine their is still so many ways to increase the efficiency of creating visually intense artistic games beyond the super slow dozens of people making simplistic maps.

Before niggas be worrying about polygons, mainstream games need much much more defined textures, even with the new texture streaming engines PEOPLE SHOULD BE PLAYING GAMES THAT ARE ATTEMPTING TO BE GRAPHICALLY INTENSE WITH MORE THAN 512MB OF MEMORY ON THEIR FUCKING CONSOLES.

If our consoles or PCs have 20+ gigs of DDR7 and 16 core CPUs the texturing, lighting, physics, 32x super sampling anti aliasing at real 1920x1080 will look light years better than current console visuals.

We don't need to reinvent the game we just need to have our hardware catch up with the potential of software. Games shouldn't be smaller than a blu ray movie. We need to have 100gig games downloaded from our 200mb dark fiber internet connections with a lot more detail. I imagine their is still so many ways to increase the efficiency of creating visually intense artistic games beyond the super slow dozens of people making simplistic maps.

When developers worry more about what a game looks like or how many fps it runs at the expense of good gameplay and storyline, then there's a problem.

Perhaps you’ve seen the videos about some groundbreaking “unlimited detail” rendering technology? If not, check it out here, then get back to this post:

Well, it is a scam.

... NOTCH

via notch's tumblr http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

Well, you gotta believe notch on stuff like this.

Guest hahathhat

just about any scientific discipline can fall victim to the attitude of, "it's not mainstream, so it must not be worth it." computer scientists, though, tend to have a lot of "i will code it up and prove you wrong" because, you know, often you can. it's not like physics where you need a particle accelerator and scheduled supercomputer time, after which you can spend two months writing a paper. no, you just fucking do it; code up a demo.

if this voxel crap were really that good, someone would already be out there kicking ass with it. all i can see here is bunch of novelty demos. this tells me it works, but it's not some revolutionary new hyper-efficient engine.

Guest disparaissant

yah pretty much, notch's writeup makes perfect sense though, he explains it all out really basically. and that island does look really repetetive and shitty. it's a pretty tree, but i bet every damn tree on that island looks exactly the same. or else 512 petabytes of data!

Guest disparaissant

wow that was pretty cool looking

very rad music too

and yeah the narrator sounded like that australian guy who does infomercials for stuff like "magic blenders" or whatever the fuck. except douchier.

and yeah the narrator sounded like that australian guy who does infomercials for stuff like "magic blenders" or whatever the fuck. except douchier.

if he sounded like this

I would've been interested.

well notch didn't really say anything revealing, it is quite obvious there can't be so many unique atoms, but I don't see why a 3d model should have every atom defined by at least a bit you just need to calculate what it should be.

he also misses to address that what they were claiming one year ago was that their technology worked like a search algorithm. in fact in the past video they referred to ray tracing as a slow method for voxel rendering.

but i don't believe them anyway lol.

If our consoles or PCs have 33+ gigs of DDR11 and 24 core CPUs:the texturing, lighting, physics, 128x mega ultra uber sampling anti aliasing at real 1920x1080p will look an odyssey of light years better than current console visuals.

When developers worry more about what a game looks like or how many fps it runs at the expense of good gameplay and storyline, then there's a problem.

Posting in a thread strictly about "Graphics In Games". Stay on topic Joyrex. Artistic highly detailed cutting edge visuals are very important to immersion. In the same way that shitty as shit CGI in movies can completely ruin the immersion of a movie, it's fucking important the experience.

But yes, when developers are working inferior hardware and technology (like current consoles) a considerable amount of time is unfortunately dedicated to optimizing their game just to barely fucking screech by and 30 FPS with shitty textures in sub 720p native resolution. Hence why it saddens me that people are so lazy that developers have to develop on this extremely outdated generation of consoles.

When attaining amazing graphics doesn't take months and months of time optimizing down less polygon and less lower resolution texture, yes it's easier to spend more time on gameplay.

but i bet every damn tree on that island looks exactly the same. or else 512 petabytes of data!

Not necessarily, bear in mind the following is only 4 kilobytes worth of information (and that's including the music data!) -

[vimeo]15982655[/vimeo]

(sorry, just wanted an excuse to post it again !)

Guest disparaissant

yeah but that's largely abstract and procedurally generated. they claimed they made that tree. they're not procedurally generating trees, as procedurally generated trees would probably look quite non-tree-like and kind of defeat the purpose of everything being "super unlimited detail" or w/e

ive seen that thing before though, and it is pretty goddamn amazing for 4kB

but i bet every damn tree on that island looks exactly the same. or else 512 petabytes of data!

Not necessarily, bear in mind the following is only 4 kilobytes worth of information (and that's including the music data!) -

[vimeo]15982655[/vimeo]

(sorry, just wanted an excuse to post it again !)

I wonder if Brothomstates was involved in that since he used to be part of the Orange demogroup with the name Dune.

Graphics don't need improvement, gameplay does

this, x 100,000

Well, even if gameplay was x10 better, that would outweight a game looking 100,000 times better.

(as in, I know Skyrim is gonna look lush, but I hope to god they get rid of the annoying in-game glitches and its actually fun / interesting to play too)

Archived