IGNORED

The Wine Thread

J3FF3R00

I don't drink much. I do like a good glass of wine here and there.

I'm a total novice and I'd like to learn more about it. I do know what tastes I like and don't like. For example, I normally don't care for whites. I have a sensitive stomach, so I don't like anything too acidic.

Anyone keen on the subject?

I sound like an old person, don't i?

wine_bottle_face.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red wine is wonderful; I've never been hugely impressed by any white wine (it's sort of the equivalent of a weak but refreshing lager on a hot summer day).

I'm going to confess to being a Sirah/Shiraz whore.

I know I like a lot of Pinot Noirs, Zinfandels and Grenaches. I've had a few Cabs that I like. I was curious about taking a wine class just to learn more, but I feel like it would be filled with a bunch of bros that just want to learn big talk to impress chicks. Whatever. I should probably do it.

I do like red wine but as a migraine sufferer I keep my distance as I think it is a trigger.

I am a big fan of Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand. That's my wine!!

Guest MortstoX

I went to the french riviera some years ago, and they served rosé wine to pretty much anything. Now I save the reds for the winter and drink rosé all summer. With fish, chicken or any light meat, cheese, barbeque or just as a summer drink. It looks gay, but you gotta embrace the gayness. This summers favourite is El Codal Garnacha Merlot Syrah 2010

I've been working in a liqour store the last 5 months and I'm starting to learn the difference between wines but don't really know all yet. I know I prefer red wines over whites. I like a lot of Pinot Noirs and Merlots. I've also tried a few Zinfadels that were pretty good. White wines go great with seafood dishes

It's funny, recently we've been just sticking to the cheap stuff. Nothing too off.

I have a market by me that sells this cheap California wine for 7 or 8 bucks a bottle. We drink that a lot when we cook dinner.

I have to say, Trader Joe's 2 buck Chuck Cabernet is pretty good too.

I was up in Portland Oregon the other week and was drinking a bunch of Pinot Noirs. I've had Oregon Pinots before that were ridiculously good, but just about every bottle we got, despite the price, was a bit of a bust.

I went to the french riviera some years ago, and they served rosé wine to pretty much anything. Now I save the reds for the winter and drink rosé all summer. With fish, chicken or any light meat, cheese, barbeque or just as a summer drink. It looks gay, but you gotta embrace the gayness. This summers favourite is El Codal Garnacha Merlot Syrah 2010

drinking wine stops looking gay when you stop being gay. what i mean is drinking wine is extremely manly.

i like full-bodied, robust reds from...

france - cab sauv or merlot from bordeaux.

spain - tempranillo rioja.

italy - cab sauv, merlot and sangiovese blends.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Montepulciano is a really good red wine, I don’t know how to describe wines really but it’s terrific so if you spot a bottle give it a try. I lost interest in red wine for some reason, I discovered a few whites I like and it’s nice to have a cold drink, and it just feels fresher and doesn’t mess with my mouth and teeth and faeces. I really like chardonnay and would normally choose that, a lot of people have some sort of ingrained hatred and scowl at me when I say it. Canti make two chardonnay blends that are my regular choice, one with Pinot and one with Catarratto. I’ve never heard of cataratto but I wonder if it’s any good on its own.

Rather than going to wine tasting which does sound terribly geriatric and will be full of just the type of smug old men that ruin dinner parties, I would just buy a bunch of wines you see recommended on a wine show or article and try them all properly and see what you think

You're pretty much sorted if you go for most Italian reds. Any Chianti is good but if you wanna go all out get a Chianti Classico Riserva.

Montepulciano is a really good red wine, I don’t know how to describe wines really but it’s terrific so if you spot a bottle give it a try.

I went to this place a few years back and agree with the wine being excellent. The place was beautiful too. It was a walled city on a hill with a well in the middle. We sat and supped a few bottles of their lovely local produce.

montepulciano.jpg

I also tend to go for Frence wines if a good Italian isn't available. Beaujolais and Merlot being my personal favourites.

Edit: After looking more at the picture, the umbrellas on the right was where we supped their wine.

Guest disparaissant

i tend to avoid drinking too much wine as im pretty sure it triggers migraines in me as well, but i absolutely adore a good (german) riesling as the leaves are changing, mwah.

or if i'm feeling rich, an eiswein.

aside from that i tend to enjoy rosé and cabernet and merlot. mostly the cheaper varieties.

also i used to drink a ton of lambrusco but that stuff is train to headachesville these days.

(edit: to keltoi) Yeah, a Shiraz from either of those Aussie regions is almost guaranteed to be a huge, complex, and tasty wine. Personal favorites in there, and not ridiculously overpriced/ overrated like French/Italian anything.

Jefferoo, I'll take you to a bevmo 5cent sale someday and dump some inexpensive but good california and australian reds in your cart, if you want. For serious. The two buck chuck isn't going to be beat on price, but it'll taste like vinegar compared to a lot of 10 dollar-ish bottles.

wolf blass.http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Wolf_Blass

the best wine i've ever had.

really??

it's definately good value if you find a bottle for under £10. but the best wine i ever had was £50 a bottle claret. or for sheer value, travelling in france going to small local producers "caves" where they fill 2 litre bottles straight from barrels, of excellent wines for a few quid.

My favourites reds:

Pinot Noir/ Bordeaux

Rioja

Nero Davola

Barollo

Least favourites:

Merlot - too blackcurrenty

Zinfandel - too sweet

Beaujolais - too flowery

I haven't had a good pinot noir in years.

I've had a lot of bad pinot noir, though. It's probably the toughest varietal to get right year-to-year. Fussy fucking grape.

wine tastings can be very fun to go to and like baph said, very educational.

personally, i prefer reds in the fall/winter and drink mostly cabs, shiraz and some pinot noirs but i tend to gravitate to the bigger full bodied wines.

in the summer i do have pinot grigio occasionally and have stopped feeling like a bitch for it. some of the fruity or earthy sav blancs are good too.

from a lot of the tastings i have been to, letting the wine breathe and serving it at the proper temperature are almost as or more important than the quality. (to an extent of course)

try it yourself with the wine you drink most. crack a bottle, pour and drink. crack another bottle and decanter it for about 30 minutes and you will feel like you have 2 different wines. also try not to drink reds super warm. 68-70 degrees is pretty optimal.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Still haven't sampled buckfast even since my local shop started stocking it. I feel like I need to be invited to some sort of dreadful party where I end up drinking it in a corridor

Archived