IGNORED

WATMM Homebrew Thread

Hautlle

Met a guy last night that throws secret dinner parties and he wants to sell some of my beer. It will be nice brewing for not just myself.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, yes. Toasting malted grains gives color/flavor to the beer. The darker grains were toasted, they don't contribute sugar to the wort, only flavor.

IMG_20110925_154619.jpg

But you wouldn't do that with a toaster :tongue:

for some reason i thought you just used premade sizurps... you're alot more involved than that, boiling up your own sizurps.

man i wish i had the space to get a brew going again.

Actually, yes. Toasting malted grains gives color/flavor to the beer. The darker grains were toasted, they don't contribute sugar to the wort, only flavor.

IMG_20110925_154619.jpg

But you wouldn't do that with a toaster :tongue:

for some reason i thought you just used premade sizurps... you're alot more involved than that, boiling up your own sizurps.

man i wish i had the space to get a brew going again.

I'm actually doing extract kits (syrup) with specialty grain additions to add some depth to the liquid malt extract flavors. I plan on making the shift to partial mash very soon, just need a bigger kettle, or a second one. When I move to a new place in a year or so, hopefully with a garage or other man-space, I want to go all-grain.

Last night we had a huge dinner with the whole family. Pork ribs, green bean casserole, cheesy hashbrowns, and coleslaw! I brought some home made hummus, houmous, hommos, humos, or hoummos along with a case of my wheat beer. Fun was had by all as we drank, ate, played and even shot the shotgun a little bit (first time ever shooting a gun for my gf) :sup:

Marijuana infused wine is apparently quite popular... Never heard of it, but I'm not a wine man

In wine country, pot-infused wines are the open secrets that present themselves in unmarked bottles at the end of winemaker dinners and very VIP tours (it bears mentioning that most winemakers are cagey enough to keep the manufacture of such wines far from winery grounds). The wines range in style and intensity as broadly as “normal” wines and winemakers do. Some practitioners of the fruit-forward, higher-alcohol, New World style take a similarly aggressive approach to infusing wine. “I know a winemaker that takes a couple of barrels a year and puts a ton of weed in it and lets it steep, and that wine is just super potent,” says a James Beard Award–winning chef, who also asked not to be named. Henry, though, makes more classically styled wines, and with that reserve comes a more subtle hand with the cannabis. Adjusted for volume, “special” wines can range from under a pound of marijuana per 59-gallon barrel to over 4 pounds per barrel. The result is a spectrum ranging from a gentle, almost absinthe-like effect to something verging on oenological anesthetic

http://www.gourmet.c...nd-pot-brownies

Anyone tried it, considered making some? I've thought about it, but the $$ to get enough green to make a tincture for 5 gallons is enough to put me off for some time. Perhaps one day I'll make an infused stout. Seems like it'd be hard to get that flavor to meld properly, but it is closely related to hops so it might fit right in? At least with a stout there's plenty of complexity to cover it.

Yeah, the alcohol will absorb the THC. I'm sure the process will impart some flavors, but that seems to be part of the fun.

I think you could also make a hell of a barleywine with some green in it too

my home brew kit arrived yesterday, making a nice little IPA. I ordered some camden tablets because our tap water is ok but not great. Planning to have the brew ready for a party on the 3rd December, so will probably get it going in a couple of weeks. Is 6/7 weeks ok for fermenting and then conditioning in the pressure barrel?

Last night we had a huge dinner with the whole family. Pork ribs, green bean casserole, cheesy hashbrowns, and coleslaw! I brought some home made hummus, houmous, hommos, humos, or hoummos along with a case of my wheat beer. Fun was had by all as we drank, ate, played and even shot the shotgun a little bit (first time ever shooting a gun for my gf) :sup:

sounds like some fun, classic midwest family livin

If you've got the money, go for it! :sup:

I wonder how much I should use. I don't smoke herb anymore so if I did put it in my wine, I would want it to be a small dose when you drink it.

5 gallon batches? Doing the math for the low end they mention up there (1lb/59gallons) = just over .25oz/gallon so you could throw in a zip and call it good for a low dose. That'd only be like $350 of some good nug here :ohmy:

a full z would be pretty potent no? I don't want to be tripping my balls off, just a slight headchange. maybe .25-.5?

edit: I really don't have to do anything to the herb either? just toss it in for a month or so?

edit2: haut is your coffee porter done yet?

I think you'd get the "absinthe like effects" from a zip in 5 gallons. The THC extraction is going to be pretty inefficient by just "dry hopping" with the buds by tossing them in for a bit, so you'll get some of the flavor/aroma and a portion of the THC, but nothing crazy I'd imagine. 2-4 weeks should do the trick, the longer the better to a point I guess. For a more potent effect you'd probably have to make a tincture and extract the THC into liquor or something, then add to the wine.

I added the vanilla and coffee to the porter yesterday, had my first taste today. It's a bit thin on the body because of the extra pound of sugar I added. The coffee comes out on the back side and the sweetness of the vanilla balances it out decently. With some time I think this will be a great tasting beer but lacking the nice body of a porter/stout. Hopefully the sweetness of the vanilla will drop out a bit with age and the bite of the coffee will die down, but we'll see. It will be a decent winter beer @ almost 7%. It gets bottled next weekend!

If you've got the money, go for it! :sup:

I wonder how much I should use.

it says up there to use a tonne but you don't want to over-do it so maybe just use half a tonne on the first run?

I'm definitely in on "WATMM Homebrew Trade v1.0" I'm bottling the porter in as many 22oz bombers as I have since I'm going to be shipping them. I almost wish I had a corker, I have quite a few 750ml bottles from quality brews but no way to cork them (I'd have to get the cages too but I'm sure I could pick them up @ the homebrew store).

I was reading a bit more about adding MJ to brew again today and came across an old archived thread where a gentleman said this

One thing you have remember when making wines and beer with Marijuana, THC is soluble two ways.

Fat Soluble and alcohol soluble.

So when making beer or wine for that matter you have to have an alcohol percentage of 6.5% or better.

I have made Barleywine with Cannabis in it.

When making beer, you dry hop the herbs in it. and let it set there in it for around two weeks in secondary fermentation.

Last time I made it, I used a 1/4 LB of trim and popcorn buds.

The barley wine was around 10% alcohol and you felt the alcohol right away, the marijuana kicked in about 30 minutes after drinking.

It felt like smoking about 1 1/2 joints per bottle.

Next time I get the opportunity to make it again, I will try using about a 1/2 oz to 1 oz of Kif hash so as to eliminate the green taste in the beer.

Not saying that the green taste was altogether unpleasant, but I believe that it did take away from the flavor of the beer..

I have been making this beer for about 10 years now.

I hope that this answers some of the questions.

here is a link for a book on the subject

http://www.fsbookco....IJUANABEER.html - link is broken

Someone else said to let the green "water cure" for a week or so before adding it to the wine. Water curing just involves putting the green in a sanitized air-tight container with water for a week. He said it gets rid of the green taste described above.

Link to archived thread http://treatingyours...php?t-9495.html there's more to read in there but I haven't yet.

edit: Just found an actual recipe from 1979

Marijuana Wine

Here's my old recipe from Stone Age Magazine (Spring '79)

by Dr. Budrick Flint

Almost any fruit or plant material can be used as a base for wine making, and the marijuana plant is no exception. Marijuana wine is alcoholic, as all wines are. The basic fermentation process converts the natural and added sugars to alcohol. Marijuana wine contains about 13% alcohol when the following process is followed.

The big bonus that puts marijuana wine in a class by itself is tetrahydrocannabinol. THC, the active ingredient that gets you stoned, is soluble in alcohol. Therefore, as the wine ferments, alcohol is formed which dissolves the active THC from the marijuana. That THC then becomes part of the wine. The amount of THC in your wine depends on the amount and quality of the marijuana used in the wine-making process.

Ingredients:

1. A minimum of four ounces of stems are needed. One-half to one pound is preferred. As much leaf material as you like can be used ...it makes the wine even better, but stems alone, which are usually thrown out, will make an excellent wine. DO NOT use seeds in the wine as they are very oily, contain no THC and cause a bad flavor.

2. Two fresh oranges and one lemon

3. 2� to 3 lbs of white or turbinado sugar or 3 lbs of refined or natural sugar can be used. A mixture of honey and sugar can also be used just so it totals 3 lbs. This amount of sugars produces a wine that is just barely dry with a nice mellow flavor. If a sweeter wine is preferred, � lb more sugar is used; for a drier wine, � lb less sugar.

4. One cake of fresh active yeast (not the dry yeast)

Equipment:

1. 2 -one gallon jugs with caps

2. Several smaller bottles (Grolsh bottles work killer)

3. A 3 ft length of plastic tubing

4. Some old nylon stockings or pieces of muslin

Preparation:

1. Stuff the stems and leaves into the gallon jug. The more, the better!

2. Squeeze the juice from the oranges and lemon, strain and pour into the jug stuffed with stems. Canned or frozen juices should not be used as they contain preservatives and the wine will not ferment properly.

3. Heat 2 or 3 quarts of water to near boiling (do not use an aluminum pan). Completely dissolve the sugar or honey into the hot water

4. Pour the hot water with the sugars completely dissolved into the jug of stems. Cap the jug, shake well, loosen the cap, and set the jug aside to cool to room temperature.

5. Then, in a small amount of luke-warm water (not hot) dissolve one entire cake of yeast. It may take considerable stirring, but the yeast must be completely dissolved. Use more water if necessary.

CAUTION: Before proceeding with the next step, make sure the jug has cooled completely!

6. Pour the yeast solution into the jug, cap, shake well, and immediately remove the cap. Fill the jug to within 2 to 3 inches from the top with cool water. Be sure to leave several inches of space at the top of the jug or it will overflow when fermentation begins. Place the cap loosely on the jug.

7. Place the jug on several thicknesses of newspapers and put it in a dark place. The back of a closet is ideal. The contents of the jug will begin fermenting vigorously within a few hours. Often some of the liquid will bubble out of the jug, especially when the jug is filled too full. Just wipe it up and change the newspapers. DO NOT ADD MORE WATER!

This superactive fermentation lasts for several days. During this time it is helpful to open the jug and push the marijuana down with a clean stick or wooden spoon. Be sure to replace the cap loosely.

8. Allow fermentation to continue for 2 weeks. During this time bubbles will be rising continuously through the stems. Add small amounts of cool water during this 2 week interval to gradually fill the jug. At the same time, push the marijuana down as before. Always replace the cap loosely.

9. The total fermentation time varies, but the average time is 4 weeks. The active fermentation of the first few weeks will gradually get slower and slower until it stops. To check for completion of fermentation tip the jug slightly back and forth. If no bubbles rise up through the stems, the fermentation is complete. DO NOT SHAKE THE JUG AT THIS TIME.

Bottling and Aging:

When the fermentation is complete, carefully move the jug as not to disturb the sediment on the bottom. A sink counter is a good place to work. Insert the plastic tubing down the inside of the jug to about 1 inch from the bottom. Siphon (start by sucking on the tube) the contents into another clean glass jug. At this time it's best to allow the wine to pass through several layers of clean nylon stocking or muslin before allowing it to enter the second jug. This will remove particles that may come through while siphoning. The wine will look murky at this time.

Discard the fermenting jug with it's stems. It's best to cap it, put it in a paper bag and throw the whole thing out. Take the new jug of wine, cap it loosely and put it back in the dark place. Gradually the wine will become clear and a layer of sediment will form on the bottom. DO NOT DISTURB THE JUG AT THIS TIME.

Allow it to settle and clarify in this fashion for one month then, being very careful not to disturb the sediment on the bottom, carry the jug back to the sink counter.

Rinse several fifth (or Grolsch) bottles in boiling water. Carefully siphon the wine from the jug through several layers of nylon or muslin, as before being careful not to disturb the sediment on the bottom. When the bottles are filled, cork or cap them tightly. Seal the cap or cork with electrical tape or melted wax.

The wine is now ready to drink (if you're too eager), but it's going to taste nasty. It's best to put the bottles back in their dark place. The longer they are aged in this manner, the clearer, smoother and more mellow this wine will become (I highly recommend aging at least 6 months). Note: the wine will never be as crystal clear as a commercial wine, as this is a natural wine with no chemicals added.

Affects on the Body:

Marijuana wine is considerably more alcoholic than commercial wine. Drink too much and you'll get quite drunk. The effects of the THC come on in the same manner as when you eat marijuana. You won't feel the effects for 30 minutes to 1 hour and it will gradually grow stronger.

-----------------------------------------------

legallyhomeless said:

About the marijuana recipe...

It says not to add water when its fermenting, but then it says, to add water during the 2 week fermenting.

can the OP elaborate? I would love to make some MJ wine for my first go.

-----------------------------------------------

trendal said:

Yes. You don't want to add any water during "vigorous fermentation". Your mixture will likely foam up quite a bit while this is going on, and if you add any water it will just foam out all over the place! After vigorous fermentation subsides, you'll want to top your carboy up to an inch or so below the top. This is to remove most of the air from the container. Air is bad, in winemaking! Nothing will spoil your wine quicker than oxygen. So it's always a good idea to top off your container!

--------------------------------------------

legallyhomeless said:

This is great. Ive looked into dandy lion wine before, but stem wine will be great. I will surly follow your tutorial!

--------------------------------------------

trendal said:

I personally wouldn't go with exactly what is written...

For starters, I would mix the plant material with water, use sulfites on it, then wait for 12 hours. This is to kill off any other bacteria/fungal spores that are almost certainly in the plants. After the 12 hours are up, you can add your yeast.

I would also add about 1/2 pound of minced sultana raisins, to add body to the wine (add before you sulfite!!).

Finally, I think I would add a little acid blend to the mix, to give it more of that "sharp" taste. I don't really know how much, and wouldn't without actually trying it, but somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. If you are going to try it and want to get very technical...you could buy an acid test kit and check how much acid is in the mix after those first 12 hours. You want it at about 0.50%-0.60 TA, so add acid blend to suit. An acid test kit costs about $10, btw, and any good brew shop should have them!

http://www.shroomery...Number/11435529

i just remembered that lullezucht gave me some obscure chinese wine-yeast. i should get some heavy-duty grains and make me a proper barleywine! my brewer mate has just got some USA hop pellets in (centennial, cascade) so i might go for a Bigfoot-like 13%+ ABV mother with enough finishing gravity to replace dinner

i'm having a weihenstephaner Vitus (weizenbock) right now and i'm thinking wheatwine. say, 4/5 wheat with the rest being barley. go for +-1100 with a yeast that can handle it. then make sure it stays sparkly, with a proper hefeweizen head. wheatwhine yo.

*+-1100 original gravity

Archived