IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Guest goodwillsidis

Accessible? Who cares about accessible. His tones & techniques with the samples are underwhelming. I like to be whelmed. Ubiquitous post-chillwave ableton pitcheddownscapes have a lazy flavor imo.

Edited by goodwillsidis

Guest Lucy Faringold

Even though I don't dig the album, that altered zones interview is really great. I like that he's self aware enough to make the connection to Ferraro in terms of cultural anthropology but distinguishes that Ferraro is "really living it." That kind of sums up how I feel about both of their new records. Far Side Virtual just feels so much more vibrant and alive.

Guest goodwillsidis

You don't think he stepped away from the cool icy emotional arpeggiator jams bc he came on watmm and saw people fronting like "ppphhhh dude just detuned an osc and fell asleep at the juno" right? I want more RIFTS/RETURNAL type steez

"sleep dealer" is one of my favorite tracks this year. I don't know why. It just works for me. It has soul and also sounds pretty damn cool.

I think Oneohtrix would be better if he made more rhythmic / song material like this. I don't care much for drone music, and I think he has potential as an all-out 'IDM' / electronic musician.

Edited by vamos scorcho

got this record in the mail today. artwork is great lp-sized. as for the album itself, i'm still not quite sure what to make of it. some of the tracks strike me as among his best (andro, sleep dealer, replica, submersible, for instance), while some of the others feel a bit underdeveloped (up, child soldier). i like it but it's still too early to say how much, or how it compares to his older stuff.

also, here's an article/interview about how they made each track, if anyone is interested in that kind of thing: http://www.dummymag.com/features/2011/11/04/technique-oneohtrix-point-never-replica/

heres what i think about this album which is a love or hate thing or get it or not thing whatever

so to me it feels like its been slapped together right in front of you . when i listen to it it feels like the guy is just playing for me with a synth/sampler and throwin it together right then and there

so i think its supposed to sound that way because it sounds alive and some people can get into that and some people cant and i do think it is a delibarate thing.

his other stuff under oneohtrix has had a similar quality to it but it was all synth stuff and not really any percussive samples or vocal things like in this one. thats why its kind of off putting for ppl i would say

shit, everybody has received both this and the new ferraro before me—far side virtual is sitting in my office cubicle until tomorrow, and i have yet to hear about any replica delivery. damn.

lots of SNES role playing game vibes on these songs. It seems like Daniel has taken a cue from Oizo's techniques used on Lambs Anger. What i mean by this is there are several tracks on Replica that start out with a seemingly plundered loop or cutup sample scape, then on top of that he'll start playing a really lofi rompler patch over it like a casio flute. It gives the songs a really unique quality where it's hard to tell when hes outright sampling or playing his own melodies

This album sounds very lazy. It's hard to believe some people really dig it.

*This* album sounds lazy? when all his other albums are live synth jams through looper pedals? strange!

Guest Lucy Faringold

*This* album sounds lazy? when all his other albums are live synth jams through looper pedals? strange!

i dunno man, I remember him talking about Returnal when it came out and saying it was pretty painstaking work to put those tracks together.

Guest Archrival

Incredible album! His best yet.

Reported for trolling.

Hahaha! That was a really good post!!! :D Thanks that made my day :D

Guest goodwillsidis

I feel like the looper pedal records use a disciplined approach to evoke a very vivid, far-away mood, Cold War era dystopian computer fantasy..

whereas the environment evoked by the new, much less disciplined-sounding record is a show in contemporary Brooklyn.

I've been utterly entranced by this album since I bought it at the weekend. The first half (3/4 ?) is definitely stronger than the last which may be the issue that some people have with the album, as their lasting impressing is that of the (imo) weaker final track. I notice that in the track-by-track interview the running order is quite different, I wonder if that's how the album was originally intended ?

Track 2 (Power of Persuasion) gave me goose-pimples today (that's goose-bumps to you overseas folks), I don't think I've had that with any track for a long time ....

Guest bitroast

Track 2 (Power of Persuasion) gave me goose-pimples today (that's goose-bumps to you overseas folks), I don't think I've had that with any track for a long time ....

The beauty of this track just clicked with me today as well.

In fact, I went from enjoying the album, to becoming a little bored of it and going back and preferring to his earlier stuff, to coming back and appreciating this new album on a completely different level.

It's bea-ti-ful.