IGNORED

Recommend me some good production headphones

Guest The Bro

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never use headphones for production.

Ghmgmhmmmghmmhmhhm.... I know that a lot people wouldn't use headphones for anyhing but I think you can get used to it. Of course there still probably will be problems with hearing the low end, but again, you can get used to it. And headphones give much more detail than monitors for the same price. I have shure srh440 and I use only them for music making. Higly recomend, they are the most detailed headphones for <150$. There isn't much bass but it still is very clear and acurate.

Recently picked up a pair of AKG 702's. I got them explicitly for working in the studio now that I'm living w/ the gf and I can't blast the monitors 24/7 in our living situation. The bass was lacking at first, but I've either become accustomed to them, or they're breaking in nicely (probably both) definitely happy with my purchase though.

Ive got a pair of BeyerDynamic DT880 Pros for all the obvious reasons about noise and other people etc etc... They're absolutely the dog's doodahs.

I agree but I'm using an Ipod Touch during the day so it makes it a little tricky doing it otherwise lol.

• 2 months later...

I want to buy new headphones. Closed ones which I can use to listen music in the subway and to listen to music at home or to produce (for fun, not for monitoring).

I narrowed my choice down to the AKG 272 HD (which are identical with the 271 MK II I guess) or the BeyerDynamis DT 660. I heard the AKGs are quite silent on the low frequencies, but have a great mid and high range, while the BeyerDynamics are a bit to sharp in the high frequencies, but have awesome bass. And of course I will listen to bass music mostly. The BeyerDynamics are also designed in a special stereo way, which I don't know the English term for. What do you think?

I have the AKG 271 MkII, they work pretty well for me, but I guess you learn their strengths and weaknesses just as on any other listening equipment and deal with it. The bass response is a bit "weird".

Guest RadarJammer

I would like to know what anyone thinks of the AKG K99, I have been using them and like them but I am totally ignorant about headphones.

Audio Technica ATH-M50. They have 32 Ohm, quite easy to drive out of any source. Best BANG for the buck. Period.

P.S.: If you want Bass, you can go with the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, 80 Ohm Version. Or the 250 Ohm Version for a more balanced Sound. but with 250 Ohm I would recommend an Headphone-Amp.

Guest EraserheadMusic

I have a similar question...

While I don't produce through headphones, I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 212s which I take with me to work on live sets in the back of cars, on trains, in airport terminals etc and they just don't do the job at all.

So what headphones give the most true representation of what you're going to hear through a rig? Any ideas?

koss-portapro-25th-anniversary.jpg

Ghmgmhmmmghmmhmhhm.... I know that a lot people wouldn't use headphones for anyhing but I think you can get used to it. Of course there still probably will be problems with hearing the low end, but again, you can get used to it.

This is my experience. It's all in the ears, not the output.

Skull Candies

lol

DAVE RAT.

lol.

my sennheiser HD25s, which are my favorite headpieces, were getting old. all tattered and sht. now using some old AKG rig. i need to get fresh Sennies :/

Audio Technica ATH-M50. They have 32 Ohm, quite easy to drive out of any source. Best BANG for the buck. Period.

P.S.: If you want Bass, you can go with the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, 80 Ohm Version. Or the 250 Ohm Version for a more balanced Sound. but with 250 Ohm I would recommend an Headphone-Amp.

Thanks. More Ohm means you need a louder signal coming in to have a good response?

In general I noticed, most headphone companies only have closed models in the range of 100-300 euros, but many open or half-open models way more expensive and probably also better. Why is that?

Hi there!

I'm on an AKG 171 Studio, which is a nice little closed and rather neutral sounding headphone. Using it more or less all the time..Studio, Djing, Live...2 thumbs up for AKG, because spare parts are available for many(manymany) years...and there are some tools to get you a "better" headphone mixing experience after all..

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/

Cheers,

io

Archived