IGNORED

Interview mentioning Amber gear?

sweepstakes

I'm trying to find this interview and it's driving me nuts. I think it was just Sean or Rob but not both of them. Anyway he mentioned the gear used on Amber, it was just a couple synths, a sequencer, a sampler, and some effects I think.

I want to say it was in 2009 or maybe late 2008, maybe even 2006 or 2007 but I think it was post-Quaristice. A while since they'd released an album. I think the interviewer was from some kind of general art magazine, not specifically a music magazine.

I might have this saved on a computer somewhere but I'm not sure. I'm coming up short on Google. I saw the kultureflash interview and I thought that was the right one from the domain name, but that was from 2010, so no dice.

Any ideas?

http://autechre.net.ua/en/interviews/interview14.htm

SB: It's funny -- we usually just buy two or three, two usually, pieces of kit a year. I feel sometimes like I'm a bit slow, because I talk to a lot of other electronic musicians who've got way more equipment than me, and way more knowledge, it would appear, about the equipment and what it's capable of technically. But then their music doesn't reflect it as much as I would like, if you like. We've done it with very little equipment. When we started out, when we did Incunabula, we had fuck all. One sampler, a little four-track, an Atari getting on towards tri-rep and stuff. Amber was done on nothing -- a 202, a Juno, a sampler and a couple of sequencers, and a Korg MS-10, with a lot of routing, and reconfiguring and messing about.

http://autechre.net....interview14.htm

SB: It's funny -- we usually just buy two or three, two usually, pieces of kit a year. I feel sometimes like I'm a bit slow, because I talk to a lot of other electronic musicians who've got way more equipment than me, and way more knowledge, it would appear, about the equipment and what it's capable of technically. But then their music doesn't reflect it as much as I would like, if you like. We've done it with very little equipment. When we started out, when we did Incunabula, we had fuck all. One sampler, a little four-track, an Atari getting on towards tri-rep and stuff. Amber was done on nothing -- a 202, a Juno, a sampler and a couple of sequencers, and a Korg MS-10, with a lot of routing, and reconfiguring and messing about.

Bingo. Thank you!

Sean Booth: It's more about the dynamics of the rig, and the space -- what you can do with the rig. I'm really into the physical sensation of rhythm and I really like repetition -- I think that's pretty obvious really.

Sean does the beats :wtf:

Rob does the melody :shrug:

Sean Booth: It's more about the dynamics of the rig, and the space -- what you can do with the rig. I'm really into the physical sensation of rhythm and I really like repetition -- I think that's pretty obvious really.

Sean does the beats :wtf:

Rob does the melody :shrug:

Autechre isn't about the beats, it's about the subtle, little melodies that go back and forth behind the beat.

Well in my humble opinion...

Sean is a freakin' sauerkraut whereas Rob is more of a tiny, sweet piece of chocolate.

Anyway it's really impressive to see how little/restricted their equipment seems to be...Should be an example for everyone !

Autechre isn't about the beats, it's about the subtle, little melodies that go back and forth behind the beat.

Anyway it's really impressive to see how little/restricted their equipment seems to be...Should be an example for everyone !

• 7 months later...

COOLMAG: so, what kind of kit do you guys use?

SB: computer, innit?

SB/RB: [laughs]

COOLMAG: i'm serious, this is an interview, please answer the question.

SB: bmx bikes, spray paint, ensoniq eps...

RB: we opened up the ensoniq and messed about with the green thingies on the inside with a hot glue gun.

SB: yeah, same with the casio sk-1...

COOLMAG: wait, a glue gun? don't you mean a soldering iron?

SB: hey, lush idea mate!

[smokes a spliff]

RB: no really, we just use a computer.

COOLMAG: so, what kind of kit do you guys use?

SB: computer, innit?

SB/RB: [laughs]

COOLMAG: i'm serious, this is an interview, please answer the question.

SB: bmx bikes, spray paint, ensoniq eps...

RB: we opened up the ensoniq and messed about with the green thingies on the inside with a hot glue gun.

SB: yeah, same with the casio sk-1...

COOLMAG: wait, a glue gun? don't you mean a soldering iron?

SB: hey, lush idea mate!

[smokes a spliff]

RB: no really, we just use a computer.

And that folks is your LOL O' The Day!™

Archived