Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Interview mentioning Amber gear?
driving me nuts...

amber interview architecture magazine gear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I'm trying to find this interview and it's driving me nuts. I think it was just Sean or Rob but not both of them. Anyway he mentioned the gear used on Amber, it was just a couple synths, a sequencer, a sampler, and some effects I think.

I want to say it was in 2009 or maybe late 2008, maybe even 2006 or 2007 but I think it was post-Quaristice. A while since they'd released an album. I think the interviewer was from some kind of general art magazine, not specifically a music magazine.

I might have this saved on a computer somewhere but I'm not sure. I'm coming up short on Google. I saw the kultureflash interview and I thought that was the right one from the domain name, but that was from 2010, so no dice.

Any ideas?

Edited by sweepstakes, 27 October 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#2 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Also I seem to remember the phrase "clever routing", and I just googled this and got nothing relevant. The magazine must be down now - did anyone save this interview?

#3 Guest_sirch_*

Guest_sirch_*
  • Guests
  • 41 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

well i know what they used but i don't know what interview you're talking about or where it's at.

#4 Aefx

Aefx

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 16-July 06

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

http://autechre.net....interview14.htm

SB: It's funny -- we usually just buy two or three, two usually, pieces of kit a year. I feel sometimes like I'm a bit slow, because I talk to a lot of other electronic musicians who've got way more equipment than me, and way more knowledge, it would appear, about the equipment and what it's capable of technically. But then their music doesn't reflect it as much as I would like, if you like. We've done it with very little equipment. When we started out, when we did Incunabula, we had fuck all. One sampler, a little four-track, an Atari getting on towards tri-rep and stuff. Amber was done on nothing -- a 202, a Juno, a sampler and a couple of sequencers, and a Korg MS-10, with a lot of routing, and reconfiguring and messing about.

Edited by Aefx, 27 October 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#5 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • 217 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

http://autechre.net....interview14.htm

SB: It's funny -- we usually just buy two or three, two usually, pieces of kit a year. I feel sometimes like I'm a bit slow, because I talk to a lot of other electronic musicians who've got way more equipment than me, and way more knowledge, it would appear, about the equipment and what it's capable of technically. But then their music doesn't reflect it as much as I would like, if you like. We've done it with very little equipment. When we started out, when we did Incunabula, we had fuck all. One sampler, a little four-track, an Atari getting on towards tri-rep and stuff. Amber was done on nothing -- a 202, a Juno, a sampler and a couple of sequencers, and a Korg MS-10, with a lot of routing, and reconfiguring and messing about.

Bingo. Thank you!

#6 fletcher

fletcher

○*█§%ÌÄ█VÜÌ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,806 posts
  • 31 topics
  • Joined 02-February 10
  • Interests:I LIKE THE RUSH OF THE SNARE
  • PSN:fletchymole

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Sean Booth: It's more about the dynamics of the rig, and the space -- what you can do with the rig. I'm really into the physical sensation of rhythm and I really like repetition -- I think that's pretty obvious really.

Sean does the beats :wtf:
Rob does the melody :shrug:

#7 StocKo

StocKo

Hi.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 12-February 10
  • Interests:Chinese Food

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

Sean Booth: It's more about the dynamics of the rig, and the space -- what you can do with the rig. I'm really into the physical sensation of rhythm and I really like repetition -- I think that's pretty obvious really.

Sean does the beats :wtf:
Rob does the melody :shrug:

Autechre isn't about the beats, it's about the subtle, little melodies that go back and forth behind the beat.
Well in my humble opinion...
Sean is a freakin' sauerkraut whereas Rob is more of a tiny, sweet piece of chocolate.
Anyway it's really impressive to see how little/restricted their equipment seems to be...Should be an example for everyone !

#8 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • 95 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Autechre isn't about the beats, it's about the subtle, little melodies that go back and forth behind the beat.

Anyway it's really impressive to see how little/restricted their equipment seems to be...Should be an example for everyone !

#9 usagi

usagi

the 🅱oz🅱oz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts
  • 22 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10
  • Interests:clean popola, chips and calamari, autocray, lulz archivism, post-thread analysis, elevator shenanigans

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

the "clever routing" phrase was also used in that SOS interview (with the dummy Max screenshot), IIRC

Rob is more of a tiny, sweet piece of chocolate.

:crazy:

if we had a thread in which to post quotes without context, this would go right up its ass

#10 Alcofribas

Alcofribas

lvsh m9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • 1,741 topics
  • Joined 05-December 05

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

COOLMAG: so, what kind of kit do you guys use?

SB: computer, innit?

SB/RB: [laughs]

COOLMAG: i'm serious, this is an interview, please answer the question.

SB: bmx bikes, spray paint, ensoniq eps...

RB: we opened up the ensoniq and messed about with the green thingies on the inside with a hot glue gun.

SB: yeah, same with the casio sk-1...

COOLMAG: wait, a glue gun? don't you mean a soldering iron?

SB: hey, lush idea mate!

[smokes a spliff]

RB: no really, we just use a computer.

#11 Joyrex

Joyrex

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,785 posts
  • 95 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

COOLMAG: so, what kind of kit do you guys use?

SB: computer, innit?

COOLMAG: i'm serious, this is an interview, please answer the question.

SB: bmx bikes, spray paint, ensoniq eps...

RB: we opened up the ensoniq and messed about with the green thingies on the inside with a hot glue gun.

SB: yeah, same with the casio sk-1...

COOLMAG: wait, a glue gun? don't you mean a soldering iron?

SB: hey, lush idea mate!

[smokes a spliff]

RB: no really, we just use a computer.

And that folks is your LOL O' The Day!™

#12 usagi

usagi

the 🅱oz🅱oz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts
  • 95 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10
  • Interests:clean popola, chips and calamari, autocray, lulz archivism, post-thread analysis, elevator shenanigans

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

alolfribas

Edited by usagi, 18 June 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#13 Guest_Balance_*

Guest_Balance_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

LOL

Almost as funny as the "Nah" from the Oversteps review.

#14 usagi

usagi

the 🅱oz🅱oz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts
  • Joined 28-January 10

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

because you can hear Sean in your head just saying it

"Nah"

#15 Guest_sirch_*

Guest_sirch_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

because.............. fuck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amber, interview, architecture, magazine, gear