IGNORED

Demdike Stare - Elemental

Jamesqdot

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The etching in the dead wax says "33 1/3 & 45 rpm" for that side of the record, which implies to me that the locked groove at the beginning is to be played at 33.3 and "Mnemosyne" is to be played at 45.

• 2 weeks later...

Today the third part was revealed. I ordered it anyway (as a owner of the part 1 & 2) and it's really expensive. I wonder why they don't bundled it right from begin as the shipping on this is not very cheap. I don't think that Demdike are to blame for this but Modern Love really know how to stretch costs.

The first parts got released in december and the third in january. The dates are really close together (money-wise seen).

Anyway, we are eating toast only this month and cheap tomato soup you can make with boiling water.

Guest primusluta

If three were in the original set I might have purchased this already. I wish this music sucked ass. I really do. OMG and it's 3 of 4 too... geeze.

Demdike and Peter sharing the love for gritty textures which is indeed as good as Christopherson's effected structures. Listening to older Coil stuff shows clearly similarities in sound. For me both share the love for obscur sampledelica and haunted doorways full of screaking and NWW-related noises.

I don't think that Demdike are to blame for this but Modern Love really know how to stretch costs.

Yeah for real. I'm pretty sure after releasing the 4 LPs they will release a bundle with bonus tracks as well. But nevermind - I want musicians to get money from their music, don't I?

I posted onto another blog that the money earning practise from Modern Love is not really well done.

The G.H. Ground EP was really cheap and has a really HQ-sound.

The package with Andy Stott was also nice priced (but the content of 20 minutes more- hey Demdike got over 40!) and excellent done.

Sometimes they put out releases with a price you would expect from an art gallery.

What me upset was the price they took for the third part now.

When they also put out an edition with bonus/re-arranged/remastered/edited/remixed or whatever tracks they are milking Demdike out at this point.

They should press a less pricey edition for those you maybe want to choose one part and not all four. Hence that some reviews aren't overall good at all parts.

Well, I've reached the conclusion that you can either pay for it or not, who cares. it's pricey, even for what it is, but you're in control of what you spend your money on so even as a fan—it's not like your arm is being twisted into buying it.

Anyway, after purchasing my stereo components, I realized I do have spare cash so I bought it, and am very happy with my purchase. I haven't yet listened to LP2, but side two of LP1 is fucking awesome.

you're in control of what you spend your money on so even as a fan—it's not like your arm is being twisted into buying it.

Exactly. I don't have a problem with expensive deluxe releases as I've never regretted shelling out more for quality. I've bought almost everything by Demdike Stare but had to hold back on this as it's a bit pricey for me. I'll most likely regret hanging on for the CD, but that's just tough shit on me and I've no gripe with Modern Love for charging what they have done.

Guest primusluta

Put it like this though (arguing for argument's sake), The Oram Tapes is a 4xLP set for the exact same price as Elemental 1 & 2. With 3 & 4 as separate buys it makes the whole Demdike package more expensive than the whole Oram package, same number of discs. Now if we factor price as value then it would seem the Demdike stuff is more valuable than the Oram stuff. I kind of have a problem with that. Still undecided on getting this package.

I'm sure Other Music would probably get it, no?

they did -_-

edit: but I also ordered that new Sculpture pic disc which I haven't seen around anywhere, so it's all good.

Put it like this though (arguing for argument's sake), The Oram Tapes is a 4xLP set for the exact same price as Elemental 1 & 2. With 3 & 4 as separate buys it makes the whole Demdike package more expensive than the whole Oram package, same number of discs. Now if we factor price as value then it would seem the Demdike stuff is more valuable than the Oram stuff. I kind of have a problem with that. Still undecided on getting this package.

You're looking into it too much. Demdike has a current interest in them that warrants cash grab methods of music releasing like this.

The Demdike Stare is also in a bespoke package, whereas I believe the Oram is just a heavyweight gatefold sleeve. I think that would be part of their justification for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 3 was cut to vinyl so much quieter than 1 and 2 were. Music is fantastic, though. 3 long, droney pieces-- "Falling Off the Edge" features some great cut-up sample work, and another hypnotic locked groove.

I wonder if they reissue the whole 4 parts as a set once they are all out, for the people that missed out, a bit like they did with the 3 Tryptich vinyls?

Archived