IGNORED

Demdike Stare - Testpressings

Redruth

2zYeMoV.jpg

"Demdike Stare return to the lab with two extended new productions, inaugurating a series of untamed releases brought together under the Testpressing banner. ‘Collision’ was recorded in late 2012 and is pretty much unlike anything you’ll have heard from Demdike before, an intense high-frequency re-arrangement of Jungle and Noise, like a more brutal variant of the Demdike-affiliated HATE project, fed through a bank of analogue boxes and pedals, left to spin uncontrollably for 10 minutes before fading to black. ‘Misappropriation’ on the flip feeds off a different noise altogether, perched precariously between the mangled percussion you’d most commonly associate with Muslimgauze and the metallic clank of industry, a proper sunstroke riddim: angry and unforgiving."

modernlove http://www.modern-love.co.uk/releases/demdike-stare-testpressing-001

[youtubehd]-KKK1L6qDBA[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]qPD5vNp8-3w[/youtubehd]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered this without even thinking the other day when I got the email from Boomkat. This will be my first DS vinyl, going to politely ignore those YouTube vids til it arrives.

Hoping this testpressing stuff get compiled on CD once there all out, or that they get a digital release. These 2 tracks sound very tasty! and nice to see them doing something quite differennt

Guest Ron Manager

just Modern Love hype though, innit? my impression is that the test pressing sheet is intended as the actual artwork.

What isn't clear to me is whether this Testpressing series is going to be all Demdike Stare material, or whether the series will include multiple artists.

Shame about the cheap, gimmicky packaging too.

Guest Ron Manager

Agreed. Well I think the clear ones sold out on that first Thurs. anyway. Probably all authentic test press looking now.

Modern Love are big on this clear vinyl thing at the moment, which frankly is pretty lame but so them - 'buy now and get a STRICTLY LIMITED EDITION of this STRICTLY LIMITED EDITION release!' what's the point? it's just going to lead to more instances of people trying to charge silly money on Discogs. and as you say, the clear vinyl hardly exudes 'test pressing' does it?

incidentally, i ordered this on the first day. i haven't received it yet but it could well be a clear one.

*lists on Discogs for £900*

Agreed. Well I think the clear ones sold out on that first Thurs. anyway. Probably all authentic test press looking now.

Modern Love are big on this clear vinyl thing at the moment, which frankly is pretty lame but so them - 'buy now and get a STRICTLY LIMITED EDITION of this STRICTLY LIMITED EDITION release!' what's the point? it's just going to lead to more instances of people trying to charge silly money on Discogs. and as you say, the clear vinyl hardly exudes 'test pressing' does it?

incidentally, i ordered this on the first day. i haven't received it yet but it could well be a clear one.

*lists on Discogs for £900*

It most likely will be a clear vinyl copy then. At least the pressing remains consistent on their clear/coloured vinyl releases. I think the main point is to maximize early orders.

These two new tracks are really nice, though. I don't think this is going to go the same way as the 'Elemental' series and it's already more interesting.

Oh fuck me yes, this is ace. Demdike Stare have to be one of the few bands or whatever that don't have a typical sound.

Love the packaging myself, reminds me a little of the tape mockup of Shellac's 1000 Hurts, plus it beats your dreary die-cut sleeve (and it has a nice lined inner sleeve as well, more labels please take note).

Oh fuck me yes, this is ace. Demdike Stare have to be one of the few bands or whatever that don't have a typical sound.

Love the packaging myself, reminds me a little of the tape mockup of Shellac's 1000 Hurts, plus it beats your dreary die-cut sleeve (and it has a nice lined inner sleeve as well, more labels please take note).

Yeah, this is really interesting stuff from them. You never get quite the same thing twice. Looking forward to more, if this Testpressing thing really is a Demdike Stare only series (the wording they gave is ambiguous - perhaps I'm reading too much into it). And you're right - the inner sleeve packaging is the better quality, archival stuff.

not feeling this, not pushing forward enough. sounds something like venetian snares here and there and the likes of it thats gone before, it just doesn't surprise me like their past work. not as good as what they've done so far imo though i guess they're trying to do something different. never a big fan of jungle myself anyway so maybe thats why it doesn't appeal.

Interesting to see them wandering in the fields of junglism plus the eardrenching noise of Bianchi- you can clearly see some Suum influence in the tracks.

Interesting crossover- well not new, but perfectly executed.

This is really good stuff! Andy Stott told me about this when he played here a few weeks ago. Said it would sound like nothing I'd expect from them but that it was still so them, and he was right. Quality release.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived