IGNORED

The Doors

YO303

I don't know if you guys like the doors but here is a 40-year old unreleased track from the LA Woman session ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGCRWD4m-5A

-----

LA Woman's (their best album in my opinion) 40th anniversary edition will be released January 20th, lots of alternative version of tunes and shit like that.

Heres my favourite song by them ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg9wq8hvdB8&feature=fvsr

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was heavily into The Doors in my late teens and 20s. Still like them but don't listen so much these days, although I did pick up the Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine comp a few months ago. Always preferred the first two albums myself, some proper classics on those. The one thing I could never stand was how seriously Jim Morrison seemed to take himself, and some of his appalling poetry. Incidentally, are the reissued CDs with all the extra bits on worth picking up?

I would say yes, 4 new tracks and Alternative versions of all the tracks on the album.

Also there is gonna be a documentary about the LA Woman session (interesting behind the scene stuff)

I was heavily into The Doors in my late teens and 20s. Still like them but don't listen so much these days.

Ditto. Even had a Jim Morrison poster a friend gave me. I actually started with this comp http://en.wikipedia....e_Absolute_Best - has a nice long Morrison spoken word freak-out at the end of the second disc.

That documentary looks good. As much as I have listened the Doors I've only read up on them here and there. I'm afraid Oliver Stone's awesome yet totally exaggerated film has filled in the rest as far as my perception of the group goes.

LA Woman wasn't my favorite album when I first started listening to it, but now arguably my favorite Doors release. They play this one in Texas all the time for obvious but lazy reasons, and I don't think it was even a proper single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qVOruN1O14

Anyone here ever try the Jim Morrison simulatron? http://www.modernhum...simulatron.html

I went through a Doors phase in my teens which wasnt unusual with many other stoners at the time as the film had come out a few years before and it got you talking to hippy chicks.

It would b nice to hear new material and new versions.

'When The Music is Over' is a better track.

The Doors invented the musical "drop" (see the crescendos and explosions in 'The End' and 'When the Music's Over'), later Aphex Twin would perfect it, and even later Skrillex would ruin it.

'When The Music is Over' is a better track.

I have lyrics from this song tattooed on my arm.

I really like The Doors but I feel like I don't need to listen to them much to appreciate.

When I was a little kid, my parents had 2 or 3 doors records in the basement. When I first discovered music (post Sesame Street), they were one of the first bands I remember liking, along with Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles and whoever else was on the Woodstock soundtrack.

When I was about 11 or 12, I was a bit obsessed with them. I had a Morrison poster and a couple books of his poetry.

I still really like them and can't imagine American rock without them. They had some legendary tracks. The double-LP best of comp (the red one with jim on the cover) may be the best greatest hits compilation of any band ever.

My dad also went to high school with Ray Manzerek. Just sayin.

I was heavily into The Doors in my late teens and 20s. Still like them but don't listen so much these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qVOruN1O14

Anyone here ever try the Jim Morrison simulatron? http://www.modernhum...simulatron.html

People say Jim's poetry is overated, but songs like THE WASP proves that he had some poetic/writter credibility.

My first doors song was Waiting For The sun, on some classic rock radio station .. that moment was soooo magical.

My first doors song was Waiting For The sun, on some classic rock radio station .. that moment was soooo magical.

Fuck yeah, that's an awesome song to start with. Reminds me of a friend whose first Beatles song they ever heard was "Happiness is a warm gun."

I still really like them and can't imagine American rock without them. They had some legendary tracks.

I took quite a few musicology/music history classes in college, and two dealt with American pop music. One was an upper-division course with an excellent professor on 60's counterculture and the other was this huge rather lame "history of rock," at that time taught by a dull grad student instructor. We went into huge discussions about the Doors on a few occasions in the former. In the later, The Doors weren't even brought up because the instructor basically didn't like them and, he admitted, because he couldn't fit them well in his lecture (he spent a hour on the Velvet Underground though...anyway I digress)

Point is, they seem extremely divisive for some reason. People seem to love 'em or hate 'em. I guess it's Morrison, maybe it's the lack of true pop appeal. Who knows. But imo it's really hard to pin down a more important American band from that era (I can't quite count Hendrix)

imo it's really hard to pin down a more important American band from that era (I can't quite count Hendrix)

Yeah. Velvet Underground, The Doors, Hendrix and (tho not my fave) The Beach Boys were the most important popular American rock acts. Fuckin UK had a slew.

imo it's really hard to pin down a more important American band from that era (I can't quite count Hendrix)

Yeah. Velvet Underground, The Doors, Hendrix and (tho not my fave) The Beach Boys were the most important popular American rock acts. Fuckin UK had a slew.

I forgot Beach Boys. But yeah, other than underground garage rock, America took a backseat in late 60s as far important acts go. Hendrix hung out in the UK all the time anyway. Brits really did dominate...Homer Simpson on England: "Our Beatles are better than your Rolling Stones!"

i would add the byrds and (obviously) dylan.

I'd give anything to have been around when those first few Doors albums came out. Besides those, The Beatles and The Who (I've only recently started to appreciate them, shame on me) were making some amazing records, with Pink Floyd and Zep just starting to emerge. My mind really would've been full of fuck.

Guest Shit Attack

dylan is/was far greater and wayyyy more influential than all those other groups (with the exception of the beatles and possibly hendrix) doors did some good stuff and some really bad stuff but get a far worse reputation than they deserve cos of that terrible oliver stone movie which made them look like complete and utter pricks , but theyre still second rate by the standards of the other stuff that was out at the time tho which by todays standards is pretty good really

Archived