IGNORED

Magic mushrooms’ effects illuminated in brain imaging studies

roasty

Brain scans of people under the influence of the psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, have given scientists the most detailed picture to date of how psychedelic drugs work. The findings of two studies being published in scientific journals this week identify areas of the brain where activity is suppressed by psilocybin and suggest that it helps people to experience memories more vividly.

In the first study, published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 30 healthy volunteers had psilocybin infused into their blood while inside magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners, which measure changes in brain activity. The scans showed that activity decreased in "hub" regions of the brain - areas that are especially well-connected with other areas.

The second study, due to be published online by the British Journal of Psychiatry on Thursday, found that psilocybin enhanced volunteers' recollections of personal memories, which the researchers suggest could make it useful as an adjunct to psychotherapy.

Link to article

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found that psilocybin enhanced volunteers' recollections of personal memories

I haven't never taken "magic" mushrooms, but this happens to me every time I get super high w/ weed. I am always awash in childhood memories that I'd completely forgotten about. probably no connection though.

I've always wanted to try the mushroom. I read about them every now and then and I'm more and more convinced every time.

Interesting, I never got that enhanced memory sensation from them but coo' dawg

I experienced not only my own memories in enhanced form, but also shared memories with friends.

<p>

i would have such a god awful trip all patched and wired up inside a fucking MRI scanner.  jeee-zus.

I had the same thought. Maybe you'd get a sensory deprivation chamber effect? [joe rogan]BROOOOOOOO!!!!!![/joe rogan]

DON'T DO MUSHROOMS. It's WAY more crazy than you think. You see and feel extremely weird shit on that which i have trouble explaining with words

but

If you are still curious make sure you trip with someone who either: has tried shrooms and knows how much you should eat or has experience as a "trip sitter"

Do not do them if you're not 100% sure you want to trip hard.

never got the memory thing from shrooms either. Saw amazing shit and I was convinced (and still sort of wonder if it was true) that it enhanced my hearing. I felt like I could hear the slightest things - cars blocks away, the sound of a jet overhead - much more clearly than usual.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I WAS HIIIIIIGHHH

Guest RadarJammer

never got the memory thing from shrooms either. Saw amazing shit and I was convinced (and still sort of wonder if it was true) that it enhanced my hearing. I felt like I could hear the slightest things - cars blocks away, the sound of a jet overhead - much more clearly than usual.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I WAS HIIIIIIGHHH

One time I was going pretty hard on em and time was slowing down on me allot where a minute felt like almost an hour or something and a friend sitting around a couple yards away took a drink of water and I could hear EVERYTHING about that water going down his throat and into his stomach and making funny noises in his body.

Another time a friend was really blasted on em and she was pretty far on the other side of the room when I tried to call someone but dialed the wrong number and got the operator and I hear her a couple seconds later parrot what the operator said and there is no way a normal human could have heard. I asked her about it but she had no idea what she had even just said.

Mushroom can "compress" hearing like 100x, it doesn't seem to make loud noise louder but you can hear things far away or quiet things like they were happening inside your own head practically.

Archived