IGNORED

Did anyone see Die Antwoord on Letterman?

J3FF3R00

I don't get it, at first they were clearly a parody "ironic" band and that was the only reason one would take them seriously, given their shitty themes, retarded image and whatnot, now suddenly, the characters ain't characters and they are as serious as one could get and their music has value as is? lol

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was interested in them so long as they stayed interesting and offbeat but it feels like they are in a race to be as empty and shallow as possible so they can be accepted by the greater homogeny. I'm not sure why I ever thought they were supposed to be any different but I think it had something to do with the flocks of fringe artists raving about them nonstop for the past year. Borrowing marketing tricks from the Marilyn Manson/Lady Gaga bag of crumbs is transparent and boring. Good music for doing dishes in the kitchen though.

they are commentary upon the race to be as empty and shallow as possible so they can be accepted by the greater homogeny.

they *are* empty. they *are* commercial. this is the intent. you either get it or you don't.

I don't get it. How is this empty and commercial music different than all the other empty and commercial musical acts out there? Why is Die Antwoord "commentary" while the others aren't?

i think kaini is just vagmatized by yolandi.

Guest Backson

I don't get it, at first they were clearly a parody "ironic" band and that was the only reason one would take them seriously, given their shitty themes, retarded image and whatnot, now suddenly, the characters ain't characters and they are as serious as one could get and their music has value as is? lol

nah, they are a parody. A sort of fond-of-the-target, Harmony Korine style parody. that doesn't mean they don't have value, I think Ninja is an excellent rapper and their beats are pretty cool, and I thought that originally as well. The humour only adds to how enjoyable it is.

Good rap embraces humour, or at least I believe so.

there's humour in there, but consider the fact that watkin tudor-jones has covered his body in prison ink and has given himself the worst haircut known to man. the tats are more or less there forever. if die antwoord are a parody band, he takes the parody deadly fucking seriously. compare with bill drummond of the KLF. he was planning to chop his hand off with a meat cleaver at the brit awards, until he was talked out of it. and according to people who knew him, he wasn't joking.

edit: in fact the more i think about it, the KLF are probably the closest point of reference i can think of when it comes to DA.

my initial knee jerk reaction was to hate them but that was before i 'got' it. i like the videos, funny and interesting to look at, but i guess their music just isnt really my thing.. not that its bad.. decent ear worms, but the visuals are inifinitely more interesting than the sonics. itll be interesting to see where they are in 3 or 4 years time.

I lolled so hard at ninja doing the lip-teeth thing

also has anyone noticed that yolandi looks like eminem had a baby with a sexy bird of prey???

Guest Grim on Mbient

The other day I was listening to Die Antwoord and couldn't really make my mind up if I like it or not. After seing the Letterman show I finally seem to know it. I think Die Antwoord is freaky and I like it a lot. (a few songs though)

yeah I'm down with this shit. they are hilarious and terrifying, which I prefer x1000 to Black Eyed Peas style radio. (which I think this is kind of a leftfield version of.)

whoa the video for the song is . . hilarious and terrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=461C8TO5ARU

they smashed some Beats by Dre® headphones. I approve of this.

Dude. I watched Letterman again tonight and he totally stops what he's doing every 5 minutes and says "I fink u freaky and I like u a lot".

WTFLOL!?!?!?

This is one of my favorite things about Dave. I love how he gets stuck on something random and will drop it at the strangest times throughout the show--usually to the confusion of the guest. The more he does it, the more absurd and funnier it gets. I wish I could think of other examples but this is perfect.

Got any gum??!?

http://gotanygum.ytmnd.com/

Dude. I watched Letterman again tonight and he totally stops what he's doing every 5 minutes and says "I fink u freaky and I like u a lot".

WTFLOL!?!?!?

This is one of my favorite things about Dave. I love how he gets stuck on something random and will drop it at the strangest times throughout the show--usually to the confusion of the guest. The more he does it, the more absurd and funnier it gets. I wish I could think of other examples but this is perfect.

Got any gum??!?

http://gotanygum.ytmnd.com/

lol, beat me to it.

cgPRA.gif

^ that was me when I stumbled into the witch house thread

lol me too man, me too

'cept i waltzed in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHk5Dv-KcU&feature=related

Die antwoord to 2Unlimited? 15 Years too late...perhaps.

Hey! I'm in a Euro club.

-Rob Brown

*dances like he's in a euro club*

WTFLOL!?!?!?

Could you find the video plsssss? appreciated

Archived