IGNORED

EDM and Raves under threat of acquisition by big business!

chenGOD

is rave culture what happens when you do mdma at a party?

incorrect.

a rave to me is when a group of people gather to listen to some bangin choons in a place where they are not legally allowed to, and anyone elses opinion means nothing to me.

correct.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

incorrect.

a rave to me is when a group of people gather to listen to some bangin choons in a place where they are not legally allowed to, and anyone elses opinion means nothing to me.

correct.

i don't think it's that easy to divorce rave culture from drugs.

but a rave in, for example, singapore, where it is insanely hard to get drugs and im sure often there are no drugs at a party, is a still a rave if its in an illegal location.

unless singapore doesnt have a repetitive beat act i dunno.

but yeah im reasonably sure no rave in the history of the us or europe, from 10 people to 10,000, has ever been drug free.

but thats just because drugs are pretty bloody amazing.

incorrect.

correct.

i don't think it's that easy to divorce rave culture from drugs.

sure - but just taking mdma at a party doesn't mean you're at a rave.

we still occasionally set up illegal warehouse parties in the city outskirts...its not all that hard if you are good with locations.

but then again, these are parties of a hundred people at most.

I'm pretty sure the closest we get to raves in my town is sometimes the local gay bar has a dancepop night & once every six months or so everyone who owns at least one synth from the 70s will get together in a church & have a three hour long improvisational power electronics circle.

all you have to do to make more rave cultures is take a cotton swab to the bottom of a dance floor and rub it on some agar dishes

no big deal

not a rave if the Birkenhead crew isn't there.

I've got fond memories of that lot. Always used to see them at Hardcore Heavens at the Sanctuary. One time I was at a Liverpool match and had to travel on the same carraige of them the whole way back. You'd think that a load of pissed up ravers would be hell when you're travelling with your old man, but they made it one of the most entertaining journeys we've ever had on a train.

Guest Backson

why do people on this forum read Hipster Runoff?

It is easily the least funny thing on the web. its not satire, it somehow fails to lampoon possibly the easiest comedic target in this modern age and its idea of a joke is making spelling mistakes.

i've seen it take on very funny topics and make them painfully unfunny.

In my defence, someone linked to it on my facebook - I'd never actually read it before then (or more accurately, I was never aware of its existence). Doubt I'll read it again.

Got sucked into it for about 5 minutes and then came to my senses.

the acronym EDM makes me cringe more than EBM or more than IDM by a factor of 20 billion

definitely in agreement with you here. for me, it's synonymous with the blanket usage of the term 'dubstep'

what the hell is EDM?

Personally I've been using EDM as a catch-all term for "shitty popular electronic music." But now I can see it coming off as annoying and silly as "electronica" and "dubstep" and "techno [i.e. ignorant techo = club music usage]"

iClubfm-EDM-Website-Logo.png

why do people on this forum read Hipster Runoff?

It is easily the least funny thing on the web. its not satire, it somehow fails to lampoon possibly the easiest comedic target in this modern age and its idea of a joke is making spelling mistakes.

i've seen it take on very funny topics and make them painfully unfunny.

It's very funny on very few occasions but mostly tries too fucking hard (or it doesn't try hard on "2 b ironic"?) for the most part. I mostly appreciate them coining the term "lamestream" to describe music major labels promote as "indie" or "underground" or "EDM" :emotawesomepm9:

Also, someone at the site contributed this to the great works of Skrillex memedom

Skrillex+DOWN+WITH+JAMES+BLAKE.jpg

...but that's about it.

the word "techno" has been redeemed in my mind. I used to hate that term more than anything because it's what thick people call any electronic music, but since rediscovering proper techno as a genre via the deeper sounds of Basic Channel and Sandwell District, I now accept it as a legitimate term in its own right. it is a genre after all, what else are you gonna call that kind of sound?

That's exactly how I use it as well. My complaint is the lazy and improper usage of the genre name, epitomized the Eminem "no one listens to techno" diss on Moby. I stil think it's quite common, it's just most of us here see the term used properly when reading threads, articles, reviews, etc. Unfortunately, millions of people hear Lady Gaga or Skrillex or Deadmau5 or whatever and think "Ugh, I hate techno, it's not real music like [insert ridiculously overrated pop, rock, hip-hop, or country act here]"

Ugh, I hate techno, it's not real music like [insert ridiculously overrated pop, rock, hip-hop, or country act here]

Like this comment if yer 1 of the 0.05% of people yer age who still remembers REAL music

like S Club 7

I remember when Gatecrasher banned the "cyber-kid" style dress code, and it was a ghost town for a couple of months, they even changed the music policy from flat-out euro trance to include more progressive styles.... all in the name of trying to distance themselves from the drug culture.

From memory, promoters like Slinky / Progress/ Gods Kitchen didnt have quite the same hardcore following at GC did even though there were quite a few neon ravers present.

From wikipedia (fairly accurate from what I remember)

1996 Gatecrasher started to use a nightclub in the city centre called The Republic for one-off events such as New Year's Eve, in 1997 the event moved to the venue permanently. Gatecrasher bought their Sheffield venue later that year.

Gatecrasher offered an all night event, with 'big name' DJ's throughout the night, with Judge Jules a resident. This attracting people from all over the country with a music style that was originally Techno and House oriented. The door policy was notoriously strict, seemingly turning people away for no apparent reason. Instead of discouraging people to attend, this policy only made the event more popular: successfully getting admitted to the club only added to the sense of excitement. The door policy also ensured that only dedicated and enthusiastic clubbers gained access. This resulted in a clientele and atmosphere that was rare at that time in any club in the UK. The door policy and fashion at the end of the 1990s encouraged people to dress in a flamboyant style to ensure entry to the night. The club developed a cult following (Crasher Kids) who in turn developed their own style of fashion, identifiable by fluorescent clothes, dummies and spiky hair. Scott Bond's style of dance music was reflected in the DJs booked for the nights and at the end of the 1990s, Gatecrasher was instrumental in the rise of trance music.

In 1998 Gatecrasher joined forces with the London nightclub Ministry of Sound and held their first outdoor festival held at Lotherton Hall in Leeds, broadcast on BBC Radio 1. 1998 saw the launch of Gatecrasher into the CD market with 'Black'. The following year they held the event alone and again the event was broadcast on the Essential Mix on BBC Radio 1. It was during this period that they started to use Sheffield's the Designer's Republic to produce their artwork, refining the logo and introducing for the first time the Gatecrasher font.

In 1999 Gatecrasher bought the Music Factory, a second nightclub in Sheffield and renamed it Bed. The nightclub focused on an older and more sophisticated crowd than Gatecrasher, playing mainly house music.

Gatecrasher’s "2000GC" Millennium Eve event was held at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield. The massive arena held a sell-out crowd of 25,000, and had the look and feel of a stadium rock concert. According to Gatecrasher promoter Simon Raine, 2000GC was "ten years of promoting parties, ten years of production knowledge and ten years of contacts all put into one very special night."

Gatecrasher relocated their summer festival to Turweston Airfield near Brackley, Northamptonshire. The renamed Summer Sound System event was held in June 2000. 25,000 clubbers saw 50 DJs play. The same event in 2001 and 2002 saw an increased capacity of 40,000.

2001 then saw the launch of Gatecrashers own record label and the first album, "Digital".

On 19 May 2001 South Yorkshire Police made a drugs raid on the republic nightclub making 13 arrests and seizing "a substantial amount" of drugs. Around 800 clubbers were ejected from the premises in the city's Matilda Street when 160 officers swooped at 11.40pm, seizing what a police spokesperson described as a substantial amount of tablets, powders and substances, some of which are believed to be cocaine and ecstasy.

By 2002, UK clubland had changed. Gatecrasher were struggling to consistently fill the venue every week. The Crasher Kids had started to put people off visiting the club, as many perceived that one had to dress like them to get in. Gatecrasher needed to attract a new following and moved the music policy to more Progressive house. The change in direction and the banning of Crasher Kids alienated some of their original fans. The Gatecrasher event became a monthly event due to the dwindling numbers and a general decline in the previously hugely popular trance scene. This was also the year that Gatecrasher London at Heaven. The event at Heaven was short lived.

So basically, you look like dicks and it will be banned.

Archived