IGNORED

Shackleton - Music For The Quiet Hour / The Drawbar Organ

Redruth

"The handsome edition, forthcoming Shack’s own 'Woe To The Septic Heart' label, is a handsome box (pictured below) set containing three 12″s, one CD and a 12″x12″ booklet of artwork by longtime visual collaborator Zeke Clough. It’s his first extended release since last year’s Pinch collaboration, and his first significant solo offering since 2010′s Fabric 55 mix of all-original material.

The first part of the release is the CD, entitled Music For The Quiet Hour, and is comprised of five long pieces featuring vocals by Tenfold Vengeance. The second part, spread across the three 12″s, is called The Drawbar Organ EPs – and features 10 further original productions, none of which appear to have been released in any other form previously."

http://www.factmag.c...ps-new-box-set/

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“For those who want to know the background, it is something like this. I bought an Italian drawbar organ module around two years ago. Apparently Italian organs from that period had a bad reputation but I was so happy with it that it appeared on most of the tracks I had been working on. I thought I had an album together and was supposed to get it mastered on the day after the mastering session for the Pinch and Shackleton release on Honest Jons (sometime towards the end of Summer 2011). I had also been working on a 12″ of more spacious music to go with that album as a limited vinyl 12″. By the time that I finished the music though, the tracks for that 12″ became so long for that I couldn’t contain them to two sides of a vinyl. This is what became [the] Music For The Quiet Hour album.

“In the end we didn’t get time to finish the mastering on that day in late Summer 2011 and for one reason or another the date got pushed back three months. Then there was the artwork. There was a lot to do and that took a long time to finish. On top of that I then moved house and studio. To cut a long story short, these things stacked up to a six months or so delay in the release. In the meantime I listened back to the whole 2 hours plus of music a few times and it struck me that Music For The Quiet Hour was an album (yes, a proper album) to be listened to all the way through, whilst the drawbar organ tracks were better suited to 12″ releases. Hence the format you have in front of you. A proposed 12″ that actually turned out to be an album and a proposed album that turned out to be a series of 12″s.

“In short, there is some new music from me. It’s generally bass heavy and percussive with an involved narrative. Some people will like it and some people won’t. I think that it is quite different to music I have released before, I suspect that other people won’t.

“Many thanks to musical contributors Andreas Gerth and Kingsuk Biswas. Many thanks as well to Zeke who has done wonderful artwork again and Vengeance Tenfold who has provided great vocals and also the superb letter that proved to be a big inspiration for both the artwork booklet and the music from Music For The Quiet Hour (Part 4 is based on a letter he wrote to his granddaughter who lives in the year 2065). Many thanks to all the people who have supported over the years. I hope that you enjoy the music and only ask that you do not put it on the internet.”

good news. will definitely pick this up.

does this count as shackleton's first official album? not that it is important, but i remember him being reluctant to call '3 eps' album (hence its title), and everything else has been singles, comps, collabs, and so on, i think.

this is available for purchase on boomkat and possibly elsewhere. probably pretty limited, so i thought i would give a head's up. there also seems to be a 2xCD version, which i assume is the same but just has the drawbar organ eps on a single disc rather than spread across three 12"s.

does this count as shackleton's first official album? not that it is important, but i remember him being reluctant to call '3 eps' album (hence its title), and everything else has been singles, comps, collabs, and so on, i think.

pretty much, although I doubt he's willing to call even this upcoming thing an album. he really does seem hesitant to get too caught up in it all and have a release "schedule", preferring instead to release only when (and how much, content-wise) he feels. I can respect that, although I wish Skull Disco had lasted longer.

i wish skull disco lasted longer too. i don't think it matters much whether it is an album, but i found his past reluctance to use that term interesting and this seems the closest he's come to describing a release that way ("a proper album," as he says in that description).

looking forward to it either way

I am going to listen to this properly before blindly forking out for the vinyl set. I don't want a bongo festival (as previously discussed here at HQ). So a bit wary.

Jesus I just got the vinyl boxset because stocks are dropping fast! All the usual suspects are on zero (some within the last 30 mins) so I paid up. It will be great, no doubt.

Guest Forestranger

I love Zeke's art. I tried to get his Protomurk book off Bleep when it was still listed as available in spite of being sold out, was bummed when I was told.

I'd be willing to get my feet wet scanning Protomurk 1 & 2. Never done it before ( scan --> .cbr / .pdf). They are pretty amazing.

Guest jasondonervan

Put an order in for the vinyl on Rough Trade on Saturday, it was still in stock then but as of this morning shows as OOS. Hope that means I secured myself a copy (I received a confirmation email at least) as RT's site is forever woefully inadequate for checking anything related to order status, so... dunno :unsure:

Just ordered a box set yesterday !

Only heard clips of the CD album itself and the 3 vinyls but really like what I heard :music:

WOW. This looks awesome. Not sure how I feel about a large-ish dose of Vengeance Tenfold though. That guy should go hang out with Spaceape on an island and leave me alone with the bongos.

Guest jasondonervan

My lack of faith in Rough Trade's stock situation saw me swoop in on my local this morning. They got 4 copies in late afternoon yesterday and all were gone before closing, but thankfully I had one put by. Artwork is crazy bananas, love it:

U2Vyn.jpg

Archived