IGNORED

Shackleton - Music For The Quiet Hour / The Drawbar Organ

Redruth

WOW. This looks awesome. Not sure how I feel about a large-ish dose of Vengeance Tenfold though. That guy should go hang out with Spaceape on an island and leave me alone with the bongos.

ha-ha yeah he reminds me a little of space-ape, quite like them both tho in smallish dosages, I listened to the Music for the Quiet Hour last night and there actually wasnt as much Vengeance Tenfold on it as I was expecting. Sounded really good from a first listen but think it will take a bit to sink in properly. Only listened to the 1st couple of tracks off the drawbar ep disc but that also sounds very promising will be giving it a proper listen tonight

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My lack of faith in Rough Trade's stock situation saw me swoop in on my local this morning. They got 4 copies in late afternoon yesterday and all were gone before closing, but thankfully I had one put by. Artwork is crazy bananas, love it:

U2Vyn.jpg

glorious!

hmm hard to say, the Quiet Hour is different to his other stuff more ambient & soundscapey so would struggle to comapre it to anything he has done before.

The little bit I heard from the drawbar eps reminded me a little of his album with Pinch and was more beat driven and dubstep like but then Ive only heard the first couple of tracks off that so am not going on much!

I am round my mums tonight (I get my post sent there) to pick up my boxset. While waiting for a glorious feast to be served I ran the cd through my laptop/headphones, wence came the remark

"What on earth is that noise Steven? It sounds like a plague of locusts!!"

Lol

the art is so in my taste zone and I am sure the music will be, rip skull disco, can't wait for the mp3's to be up on boomkat, yay!!!!!!!!!!! :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9:

Mmmmm the cd from the vinyl boxset is pretty good indeed. Very eccentric sounding and trippy.

I like albums when I can't really tell what's going to happen next, and that would be the case with this. Coolio.

Yeah he has defo expanded his sonic pallet on both discs, the drawbar eps is amazing as well and although it bit more typically shackleton there is loads more going on and just a bigger sound generally. Also loads of lovely melodic bits which gives it quite a different vibe to his other stuff.

Listened to the Quiet Hour while falling asleep last night sounded amazing while drifting off, as someone else said is a proper trippy album!

Guest rubberman

absolutely fantastic stuff

been listening to shackleton's other stuff too last week (3 eps & fabric 55 mostly) and they're as fabulous as ever

Guest grue

this whole set is wonderful. for me the real gem is the drawbar organ eps; i really enjoy the more melodic take on his serpentine rhythmic sound, and the expanded range of drum sounds is nice too. music for the quiet hour is good, but i don't always enjoy tenfold vengeance. i liked him on death is not final, but not as much on this album. the music itself is great though.

i'm amazed at how shackleton's sound keeps changing but staying so recognizable at the same time. can't really think of anyone else who sounds like him at all anymore.

Vinyl box set came through today...and it's pretty fucking good - some of the best stuff I've heard from Shackleton. Still recognisably his sound but the draw organ EPs especially sound like a great progression.

I rarely smoke the herb but I just ordered a nice bit of hash (can't do skunk, its evil) and will sink my teeth and brain into this asap. I've had a few spins of the vinyl and one play of the cd and it sounded pretty epic. I like albums you can get lost in.

Yeah i've been listening to the Drawbar eps loads, proper amazing stuff! Love quiet hour as well but gotta be in the mood for it where as am always in the mood for the drawbar e.ps. Have the people that complained about Shackleton always using the same bongo sound heard this? Cause there is loads more drum sounds this time round and fuck me do they sound awesome!!

Always been a big fan of shackleton but he really has excelled him self with this, have a very strong feeling this will be my fav release of 2012.

Finally got my CD copy today, my original order got lost in the post which means someone out there has my limited edition copy as well as the Actress album and Bass Clef's latest.

Only the standard edition left so they refunded me the £3, but they never sent out Actress or Bass Clef so im still 2 CDs down....

(trying not to publicly bitch too much about bleep, I know its not their fault Royal Fail lost my parcel, and they did promptly dispatch [some] of my order again....

So anyway onto the music....

Currently on track 7 of the drawbar organ EPs, and so far it is sounding very solid and accessible. Definitely more dancefloor friendly than the skull disco stuff, but unmistakably Shackleton at the helm. Very glad didnt listen to any samples ahead of ordering this, Shackleton seems to be one of the current breed of producers I can completely trust to get it right. Lovely!

*edit*

Holy crap, "music for the quiet hour" is incredible too!

Guest jasondonervan

So my beliefs were confirmed - Rough Trade are terrible for online ordering. I ordered this before release, had nothing more than a confirmation of my order, but nothing since. They never took payment which is some small mercy I suppose, but it's shambolic that I never even heard from them to tell me it was out of stock, unavailable, whatever. Very glad I made the effort to go through a local store for my copy as a fallback, turns out that was an extremely smart move. /vent

As for the music, it's brilliant, clearly mixed to sound best on wax.. which it does!

shackleton musics really appeals to me. creepy tiki techno. lovely hidden messages throughout his musics. thought provoking dialogs. i really like the long-form

Archived