IGNORED

Blow my mind away with facts

roasty

Every seven-ten years all of your cells have been replaced. (Apart from the neurons in the cerebral cortex that is, they either survive your complete lifetime or just die off afaik.)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

Every seven-ten years all of your cells have been replaced. (Apart from the neurons in the cerebral cortex that is, they either survive your complete lifetime or just die off afaik.)

This is another one of my favourite scientific ideas/things. I feel safe knowing that every ~7 years I'm technically a completely different human.

I guess this process slows down with age, though, right?

Partly, for example your body fat cell replacement rate pretty much stagnates but your heart cell rate on the other hand slows down indeed. I don't know the numbers though. :)

This is another one of my favourite scientific ideas/things. I feel safe knowing that every ~7 years I'm technically a completely different human.

I guess this process slows down with age, though, right?

It´s also chilling if you try to put that into numbers:

there are according to wa 10^14 cells in a human body (bacteria not included). And seven years are 220´752´000 seconds. So we roughly loose 452´997 cells per second.

The story about the building of the Carthage says that that the queen Dido, the first queen of the Carthage, could have defined the area for the building as great as can be great the area that can be bounded by a skin of one bull. The queen has cut the bull's skin into small bands and then she has laid them on the ground next to each other, defining a circle with them. In mathematical literature this problem is called general isoperimetric problem, and it's task is to find the closed curve which has defined, fixed circumference, and which bounds the greatest possible area. The solution of this problem, which is a circle, was already known in Ancient Greece. This problem can also be solved more rigorously using a variational principle.

when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, its body turns into a sac of fluid and is reformed from scratch. despite this, they can remember things they learned as caterpillars.

Not sure I believe the last bit, how could you tell? Still bloody amazing though, butterflies/caterpillars.

http://www.scienceda...80304200858.htm

The Georgetown researchers found that tobacco hornworm caterpillars could be trained to avoid particular odors delivered in association with a mild shock. When adult moths emerged from the pupae of trained caterpillars, they also avoided the odors, showing that they retained their larval memory.

Life is so amazing sometimes, it makes me want to punch myself in the face

That skull is fucking disgusting, and I'm not even sure why.

I think its weird to see teeth growing so deep inside the skull / close to the eyes even so its totally normal

That skull is fucking disgusting, and I'm not even sure why.

I think its weird to see teeth growing so deep inside the skull / close to the eyes even so its totally normal

thats not completely normal

I think it's because of the pockmarked pattern. I've seen multiple things like that that are gross, and know someone who can't look at anything pockmarked.

edit:

Lol, I was actually thinking of that specific NSFW image that was removed. Makes me want to puke. Shopped doe.

This sentence is false.

Adolf Hitler was Time Magazine's 'Man of the Year' in 1938

And G.W.Bush was 2004's lol

They sure know how to pick 'em

Explains why you were the person of the year in 2006.

lol

[youtubehd]OPY98eB4w-8[/youtubehd]

Pseudoscientific bullshit. Avoid at all cost.

Just read this:

"A kick in the balls is above 9000 del (units) of pain, which is similar to giving birth to 161 kids and breaking up to 3210 bones at a time."

(Probably internet nonsense, I mean, it´s over 9000?!)

Just read this:

"A kick in the balls is above 9000 del (units) of pain, which is similar to giving birth to 161 kids and breaking up to 3210 bones at a time."

Sounds like nonsense, how could you quantify something as subjective as pain?

Just read this:

Sounds like nonsense, how could you quantify something as subjective as pain?

neural response. But really it varies greatly from person to person

This sentence is false.Pseudoscientific bullshit. Avoid at all cost.

So I haven't watched this whole thing (made it halfway, got bored), but it seems alright. Just theories based on quantum experiments.

This sentence is false.Pseudoscientific bullshit. Avoid at all cost.

So I haven't watched this whole thing (made it halfway, got bored), but it seems alright. Just theories based on quantum experiments.

But it's bad theories, based on misunderstandings of quantum theory. Quantum mysticism.

Archived