IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

J dilla - Donuts

very chill, frank zappa spotted, very nice after work with a joint and a beer

SND - avatism

wtf i never heard anything so minimal and so rich, awesome

Metallica - master of puppets

finally got it after 20 years, first time i actually listened to the lyrics, what a great album

Edited by Ivan Ooze

J dilla - Donuts

very chill, frank zappa spotted, very nice after work with a joint and a beer

SND - avatism

wtf i never heard anything so minimal and so rich, awesome

Metallica - master of puppets

finally got it after 20 years, first time i actually listened to the lyrics, what a great album

a great selection of music there Ivan

Guest zaphod

various - ionosphere

this is a record on smithsonian folkways that contains recordings of the ionosphere, oddly enough. it rivals the conet project in creepiness. one of the better noise records i've heard.

Guest zaphod

robert wyatt - rock bottom

meant to post this with the one above. i can't get into this at all. it's his voice. the arrangements are fine, some of them are surprising. i don't think i'll come around to it. seems unfortunate because i feel like i should enjoy this, but i can't. although, does anyone enjoy this kind of music?

robert wyatt - rock bottom

meant to post this with the one above. i can't get into this at all. it's his voice. the arrangements are fine, some of them are surprising. i don't think i'll come around to it. seems unfortunate because i feel like i should enjoy this, but i can't. although, does anyone enjoy this kind of music?

I do, very much.

I think with stuff like Wyatt's voice though, you have to get over the uncool/cringe twinge that it invariably inflames.

Try Old Rottenhat. Lots of very childrens tv-esque parpy synths on that one. It's one of my faves.

Try

nigeria 70: sweet times afro-funk, highlife & juju from 1970s lagos: unlike the previous 'nigeria 70' compilations that had a more western approach to afrobeat, this is more traditional, heavy and ethnic sounding. if fela kuti is what was popular in the downtown lagos discos, then most of these guys are who you would have heard if you went to the more dimly lit dives or rural clubs.

the linear notes give a really interesting account of just who these guys are (the don isaac ezekiel combination is comprised of college students who cooked up a few tunes that ended up on a rare 45 whilst the victor olaiya & his allstars were a popular juju band of the time) and gives you a good idea of the spectrum being covered.

harmony melody & style: lovers rock in the uk 1975 - 1992: chilled out r&b influenced reggae joints all based around the subject of love. other than being (perhaps) a nice roundup of music from the aforementioned time period, nothing here really stands out as being anything other than late-night radio friendly

kon & amir present off track 3: brookyln: these two (2) guys are a well respected record collecting duo that mostly work as music consultants to rap/hiphop producers, rappers and record collectors while moon-lighting as record revivalists; amir reissues some of this stuff. without, however, a nod from people like pete rock and the beanuts you wouldn't know because their own track record is full of output like this: shoddy, boring, who-the-hell-cares "rare" disco-jazz-funk mixes like this one.

the title for this album(?) comes from their own bootleg mix tapes that mostly consisted of original sampled songs from numerous songs popular at the time mixed in with similar sounding songs. unfortunately, the pattern of consistency dropped off immediately everyone figured out how to walk into a record store and buy the original records themselves.

nigeria 70: sweet times afro-funk, highlife & juju from 1970s lagos: unlike the previous 'nigeria 70' compilations that had a more western approach to afrobeat, this is more traditional, heavy and ethnic sounding. if fela kuti is what was popular in the downtown lagos discos, then most of these guys are who you would have heard if you went to the more dimly lit dives or rural clubs.

the linear notes give a really interesting account of just who these guys are (the don isaac ezekiel combination is comprised of college students who cooked up a few tunes that ended up on a rare 45 whilst the victor olaiya & his allstars were a popular juju band of the time) and gives you a good idea of the spectrum being covered.

Nice, definitely going to have to get this. I love me some highlife, and I doubt I've previously listened to any of the more unknown artists.

Team Doyobi frenzy!

I picked up The Kphanapic Fragments, Choose Your Own Adventure, and Cryptoburners... having had my interest piqued by ORCH.V.

Holy smokes The Kphanapic Fragments is some sort of prog-rock chip idm monster, complete with a Yes-esque birds chirping, Close to the Edge interlude. Fucking excellent album - I especially like Thus Jacked Zarathustra

9/10

Choose Your Adventure is a more idiosyncratic release, seems they were going for a different "setting" for each track which makes the songs harder to digest outside of a full album listen. Still loads of fun though

7/10

Cryptoburners - now this one is straight up aspergers. Standout for me is "Santeloco". This album sounds to me like a combination of Vespertine-era Bjork and EP7

8/10

___

Oneohtrix Point Never & Rene Hall [split] - Music from Reliquary House & In 1980 I Was a Blue Square

So I saw OPN two weeks ago and it was amazing; been trying to track down his more fractured and noisy work ever since and I think this one veers into the noisier side of things. OPN's half is mostly stutter-cut vocals and ambient dissonance. Interesting, but I don't think this will get many plays. Rene Hall's side is a bit odd, plaintive piano accompanied by lasers and machine guns. It actually made me think of Steve Reich

6/10

___

The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

Their best album

9/10

___

Ametsub - All is Silence

Excellent also. the guy has chops

8/10

Edited by verticalhold

William Basinski - Vivian and Ondine

Amazing album, pity it will never see the light of day on wax.

Soundway presents Ghana Special (1968-81)

Fantastic complication, cheap as chips too. I recommend checking out the other comps on this label (Soundway).

EOD - Volume 1

I think this guy is getting better and better with every release, although Utrecht is still my personal favourite.

I need to check out The Knife's Shaking The Habitual, although I may wait for the vinyl.

Team Doyobi frenzy!

I picked up The Kphanapic Fragments, Choose Your Own Adventure, and Cryptoburners... having had my interest piqued by ORCH.V.

Holy smokes The Kphanapic Fragments is some sort of prog-rock chip idm monster, complete with a Yes-esque birds chirping, Close to the Edge interlude. Fucking excellent album - I especially like Thus Jacked Zarathustra

9/10

Nice! I need to check out more of Team Doyobi, I've never really ventured much.

Fantastic complication, cheap as chips too. I recommend checking out the other comps on this label (Soundway).

Damn, that album looks great. I'm gonna go broke from checking this thread too often.

Edit: Aw damn. Didn't realize it was an mp3 only release.

Edited by Murveman

Damn, that album looks great. I'm gonna go broke from checking this thread too often.

Edit: Aw damn. Didn't realize it was an mp3 only release.

http://soundwayrecords.greedbag.com/buy/ghana-special-modern-highlife-af-0/

2xCD or 5xLP, man!

Nice! I'll have to pick one up then.

Ludwig Persik - Ludwig Persik 2012 EP: I took my brother to a Jamie Lidell concert last Saturday for his birthday, and Ludwig was the first opening act. I was very impressed. My brother and I both ended up buying his EP and we got it signed.

The production was done by Jamie Lidell, but the psychedelic guitars are all Ludwig. His voice kind of reminds of Bradford Cox, but his sound is a bit more crisp and funky than Deerhunter's. Good stuff. I've listened to the EP four times since then. 9/10

Mark Fell, UL8 - very nice sound design that sticks out fro the rest of the RN crowd, the middle bit is a little weak but the Acids in the Style of Rian Treanor sends shivers down your spine (Autechre take note).

Mark Fell, Manitutshu - SND without the annoying clap, a more rythmic work. Both albums = chin scratch/10

Thomas Koner, Nuuk - dark celestial textures without getting too harsh, a tranquil vortex 9/10

Solvent, Demonstration Tapes 1997-2000 - quality electro and electro pop. all Ceephax fans should pay attention if you don't already have it 9/10

Bjorn Torske, Kokning - nice melodic stuff but not quite as good as the funky Fiel Knapp 8/10

Lineland, Logos for Love - took a while to full appreciate the subtleties in sound design of this quirky album 8.5/10

Nathan Fake, Steam Days - excellent debut album 8/10

acid- mysterons invade the jackin' zone: chicago acid and experimental house 1986-1993: hey look. the guys at soul jazz records have put out another massive compilation of (more) jackin' chicago house music (check their first one here)

yep, it's crazy good, but not like super good.

ghostface killah's twelve reasons to die: nice beats(?) but boring execution.

Soundwave have you listened to mark fell's Multistability? It's my favorite of his stuff from the last few years. hmm, In fact, I think I'll listen to it later...

nigeria 70: sweet times afro-funk, highlife & juju from 1970s lagos

Just got this in the mail today, and I love it. It's going to get a lot of playtime this summer.

Soundwave have you listened to mark fell's Multistability? It's my favorite of his stuff from the last few years. hmm, In fact, I think I'll listen to it later...

couldn't quite get into this one when I first got it as its a little too busy and samey to listen through all in one go hence why I've put these other albums off until now

going to give it another try now I'm getting more into his sound