IGNORED

andre 3000 as jimi

keltoi

if the following is jazz, talk to the hand cos the face ain't listenin!

but wow, they're very alike facially eh? if not in skin tone (jimi's lighter no?)... but this film's most likely going to be a huge pile of shite, and they don't even have the rights to use any of hendrix's music!

jimi.jpg

2071869-andre-3000-jimi-hendrix-617-409.jpg

Andre-3000-and-Jimi-Hendr-006.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing about this for the past few years. I remember reading about rene zelwegger playing janis joplin. But I haven't heard anything else in a while.

They've been trying to get this off the ground for a while. I remember reading about Lawrence Fishburne possibly playing Hendrix, back in like the mid-90's.

This reminds me of the film Basquiat, though. They couldn't get permission from his estate to use the original artwork in the film. So they had someone make Basquiat-esque paintings just for the film. I'm guessing this will be similar and he'll be playing Hendrix-ish songs.

Julian Schnabel painted the works in Basquiat.

Didn't know that. The whole thing is weird. From what I read/heard Basquiat didn't even like Schnabel. I guess he was qualified to direct the film in that he was involved in the art scene in New York at the time and knew Basquiat and most of the other major players. But it's a little like if Billy Corgan directed the film about Kurt Cobain.

I will not be touching this with any length of pole.

I instantly think of the film with the Beatles' music by the chick who did Frida.

If they actually redo Jimi songs without Jimi, I will kill.

Didn't know that. The whole thing is weird. From what I read/heard Basquiat didn't even like Schnabel. I guess he was qualified to direct the film in that he was involved in the art scene in New York at the time and knew Basquiat and most of the other major players. But it's a little like if Billy Corgan directed the film about Kurt Cobain.

I wouldn't make that Corgan/ Cobain comparison. I don't know if Basquiat really liked Schnabel personally, he comes off a little gruff. However, from what I read, they both regarded each other very highly as painters, and as Julian was a bit older helped Basquiat cope with being an art world sensation, and had a bit of a paternal relationship with him. I was a bit skeptical of Schnabel as a director but he's really dropped some serious films since Basquiat. Some of his painting are fucking amazing, I really like his work.

you should check the "radiant child" documentary on Basquiat directed by Tamara Davis- great film

In the same way, they could redo the music and the estate couldn't do a thing about it. I guess that in a way, having Andre is a good start to redo stuff. He can play the guitar

but this film's most likely going to be a huge pile of shite, and they don't even have the rights to use any of hendrix's music!

Is it the Hendrix estate that won't let them use the songs in the film?

Yeah.

:cisfor:

This was the downfall of many a movie. If it were me, I wouldn't even make the film if that were the case.

Did anyone see Sylvia? Holy crap fest.

Just imagine Walk The Line without Johnny Cash tunes.

:facepalm:

i could watch this film thousands of times. schnabel's best, followed closely by 'before night falls'. schnabel liked basquiat plenty but it does sound like something schnabel would say regardless.

andre could jimi, but as with any film, it would have to be done with meticulous attention to detail or it will fail

There had better be no janice joplin in a jimi biopic. You'll be watching it all high from reliving the jimi sounds and then this pathetic lump will start moaning away in a lame attempt to sound bluesy and you'll just have to stop watching sick from disgust.

Walk the Line had no original tunes of Johnny Cash, they were all redone. Same thing will happen with that Hendrix movie.

Obviously, they were redone. They still had a ton of original JC compositions though.

Check for yourself... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_the_Line_(soundtrack)

It's not like they didn't have ANY of the rights.

If that was the case, they would only have had Joaquin Phoenix singing a bunch of Carl Perkins tunes.

They clearly had composition rights to rerecord the songs. Using the original recordings would have made it really weird to watch, if you think about it.

That movie Sylvia (about Sylvia Plath) that came out a few years back (I believe) had ZERO rights to her work. That turned out to be possibly the worst movie ever made.

Archived