IGNORED

ok why so slow watmm?

jules

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

pretty fast for me but on most of the themes images are broken (the banner and the last post buttons next to the thread title)

I just cleared it, but it's still acting the same way. Threads/pages with more content take longer to resolve than threads such as this one with just text.

I would say this started happening for me 2-3 months ago.

I don't get the 'Cannot connect to server' error, just slowness.

I wonder why it happens to some but not all of us? I guess it could be that 'number of bounces' thing, but why would that change for me all of a sudden, when there used to be no problem?

With the web, there could be multiple related/unrelated factors contributing to why your connection to the site is say slower than mine, but faster than say, BCM's.

In short: Internets.

GOD DAMMIT! It took seven seconds to load this page! On the order of 15 to load the 'POST YOUR MOST RECENT PIC!' thread. This is BALL CIDER! The Assholians bow down to this piece of shit!

Yeah, the site performs terribly and it's not an "internets" issue - it's a shit web server issue.

Again, but let's be more blunt this time - what the fuck do you know?

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, the site performs terribly and it's not an "internets" issue - it's a shit web server issue.

I know that it's not just "internets" when this many punters from this many regions of the world are having issues with it.

So, fine, "shit web server" isn't any more technically sound than "internets"...happy?

Guest Mirezzi

With the web, there could be multiple related/unrelated factors contributing to why your connection to the site is say slower than mine, but faster than say, BCM's.

Also, what the fuck does the above platitude mean?

"Life is complicated, guys. Seriously. It's a messy world we live in. For some people, it's really messy. For others, it's not as messy."

I know that it's not just "internets" when this many punters from this many regions of the world are having issues with it.

So, fine, "shit web server" isn't any more technically sound than "internets"...happy?

Thing is, it's not a "shit web server" by any means - the load on the database is negligible at best, and MySQL is using around 10% of the server's memory.

You cannot discount the number of servers (and any respective problems they individually may be having) you traverse through to get to the WATMM server as a significant factor in why it's slow for some, and just fine for others.

Add to the fact that threads that have externally-linked images and multimedia, and any sort of reasonable metric to judge page load times goes out the window.

I've been at this game a fair bit of time to know better than most.

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, if it were just the loading of, say, recent pic or recent artwork thread, etc. that'd be one thing, but I've been having really slow loads just hopping between sections of the site where no externally referenced media is loaded.

i only asked because nothing has changed on my end except for the performance of watmm. it does seem like media heavy threads are the worst. i never had much, if any lag before, but now if i click on subtle gifs, most recent pics, funny pics, etc, i can walk away and come back.

wait, this issue may be solved. i think me and overlook are actually the same person and we just had a weird space-time shift.

Yeah, if it were just the loading of, say, recent pic or recent artwork thread, etc. that'd be one thing, but I've been having really slow loads just hopping between sections of the site where no externally referenced media is loaded.

Any extensions that might be slowing things down?

i only asked because nothing has changed on my end except for the performance of watmm. it does seem like media heavy threads are the worst. i never had much, if any lag before, but now if i click on subtle gifs, most recent pics, funny pics, etc, i can walk away and come back.

wait, this issue may be solved. i think me and overlook are actually the same person and we just had a weird space-time shift.

What browser/OS?

Guest Mirezzi

JR - Nope. It's on desktop, laptop, and iOS.

As jhonny just said, it's erratic really. Happens on and off, sometimes within moments.

Just as a test, took me a good 8 seconds to load the Odd Future thread on my iphone. Then opened this thread on my laptop and it was quick.

So yes, does seem a little erratic and unpredictable.

image heavy threads take a long while to load for me too. I usually open them in separate tabs and just wait until they've loaded while I keep browsing other parts of the site... site's pretty slow via tapatalk/android phone, too. I don't even try to load image threads on my phone.

jr because you asked for extensions, but same goes for ipb extensions, could slow things down, you mentioned the mysql memory usage, which is surely a figure, but also the load is important, if mysql has high load (maily its forked processes), maybe worth checking load on mysql plus process lists, and queries, that take long, there's some nice tools for mysql, I can't remember the names, its been a while...just a thought....

Archived