IGNORED

guy from BBC says RDJ can't play keyboard (re: piano stuff on Druqks). WTF?

Guest xclark

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who even invented the word "notes" and said that was a C or a D flat?

who says it's a fucking c or d or e flat?

music theory is bullshit.

probably someone related to elusive.

lol. I dunno how the thread went from "RDJ can't play piano" to "music theory is bullshit", but well done.

Guest blsked

This thread is hilarious.

I find it surprising that people are talking about Avril 14th while Kesson Dalef sounds way more like it was played by a sequencer. But who cares, as long as the music is good it doesn't matter if the composer is also a good player or not.

This thread is hilarious.

I find it surprising that people are talking about Avril 14th while Kesson Dalef sounds way more like it was played by a sequencer. But who cares, as long as the music is good it doesn't matter if the composer is also a good player or not.

/thread

Guest sirch

I assumed he couldn't play drums on the drukqs but robot piano? RDJ is that lazy he can't even bother to press keys on his piano?

yeah he's that lazy... ! lol, such a lazy person . isn't it lazier to just play a piano the way it's always been played traditionally?

+ robots are cool :smile:

Guest sirch

lol. I dunno how the thread went from "RDJ can't play piano" to "music theory is bullshit", but well done.

that's because you think like a machine, Mr Chen :wink:

haha

unless you're a proficient player it seems like a waste of time to attempt playing something in that requires attention to detail when you have a sequencer at your disposal. One that can be manipulated to avoid perfect quantizing in some fashion

diva dubstep

:>

have you heard of the concept of using a midi keyboard to input steps onto a sequencer? it's quite common

Guest xclark

okay, here's the short version of why this thread exists. I, like I assume many of you are, am a musician. when I get obsessed with music, as I have been with RDJ's for some time, I want to get into the head of the creator. I want to understand his process. since his interviews are rife with misinformation, it's difficult to know how he actually makes his music. so I've been reading everything I can whilst trying to read between the lines.

at the same time I've been learning Avril 14th from sheet music. it wasn't until I had difficulty with the seemingly simple polyrhythms that I began to think that he was a pretty good piano/keyboard player. having heard his recording at least a hundred times before, I'd never doubted that he actually played it. reading that he doesn't know how to play, blew my mind. it did ring perfect true with the legend that surrounds him, but still shocked me because of the expressiveness of the playing. so I posted here to see if it was true and to generate a discussion of how the man actually records his stuff. it goes to figure that he is able to sequence the diskclavier so expressively. what a genius, I thought, not that there was much doubt before.

I don't know why anyone thought that I was slagging him for not being able to play. I think it's fucking incredible and inspiring. I myself am an "untrained" musician. I don't really know theory and for much of my life I felt disadvantaged because of it, and maybe I still am, but I've fully embraced trying to compose with the ears instead of the mind. a person like me would be in no position to judge anyone's musical skills, compositionally or performance.

maybe I should have said more in my original post, my bad. I also should have figured that I'd get an unnecessarily attitude-filled response on an Aphex Twin forum, of all places, but was somehow still surprised. next time I'll try to be more clear so that no rational person will misinterpret my intentions. and I'll be better at tuning out the noise, so to speak.

I can play piano alright, but I've always sequenced melodies for my electronic music. I figured he probably did the same, as most of his melodies don't sound like performed melodies. Also, this was probably already covered, but I think most people don't consider the sequencer an instrument because it isn't performed live, same way Cubase or Pro-tools isn't considered a musical instrument.

Archived